Interphone, Scala, or Sena?

Love my G9X so far but not used it much in anger.If you can wait till first week of August I could you get a G9X Powerset from Handtec for about £ 250.Then just split the pack with a mate or keep both of you intend taking da missus on the back and want to be nagged at.

If I get one, I won't be paying for it, as the shop will give me a full refund on the Interphone, if I go down the G9X route. Cheers anyway though.:thumb

Sena SMH10 - just bought one and tested it - wearing earplugs and bad hearing in the left ear, the instruction volume is more than adequate, loud even at full volume. :thumb2

I've had the smh10 for a few years now and it is great for rider to pillion, it has proved handy when refuelling being able to speak to my wife even when she is in the filling station .
A mate bought an identical one and we went out for a run last week, its range in line of sight on a dual carriageway can be pushed out to well over 1200 metres although it does start to break up when you deliberately place an artic or similar between the bikes at anything over 850 metres.
in normal use on twisty back roads even out of line of sight it has a useable range of 400 to 500 metres

As of now the Sena looks like the winner. Be aware that you need Windows to update the firmware and Windows in a VM as I use on my Mac will not work - leaves the Sena somewhat fucked in the process.

I'm interested in the Sena 20s and I've been browsing the Sena forum. There seems to be no problems with updating firmware using Macs. Was there something specific that you had a problem with?

It does say it is recommended to use a Windows PC though, so it depends on how it messes up the device I suppose.

Oh, and the other thing I noticed is that you can use the 20s across brands, so it will talk with other manufacturers devices. That's clever

The sena 10 has a universal intercom setting. I don't imagine you'd need to update the firmware that many times so not sure why the requirement for a pc to update would be a huge issue, It's a great bit of kit and a piece of cake to fit and install.

Or failing that, the G9X does seem to get some great reviews. Does anyone know if it reconnects automatically, if it goes out of range, as the Interphone does, and it's a great feature?

I have the G9. I have only used it solo but have my phone Samsung S4 connected to navigator (was zumo 550 but now nav 5) and navigator connected to g9. 80% of the time all works well. I use navigator/mp3 from navigator, phone via navigator and radio on G9. However occasionally the connections get confused and to reconnect I have to switch off/on the g9 again. Can be done on move but buttons are very fiddly. The G9 will also allow both navigator and phone to connect to it direct but using this method you lose the navigator screen showing who is calling on phone or phone book via navigator.
Updates from scala are very limited.

Some more good advice.:thumb

As the price of the Scala and Sena was more than the refund I'd get on the Interphone, I had decided to stick with the Interphone, however, they've had both units for over 2 weeks, and are still nowhere near sorting the issue, so I told them on Friday that I want a refund.

I'll have another look at the Sena, if it can be updated on a Mac, as that was one of the favourites. I could always update it on my wife's work laptop if it really won't talk to a Mac.

My Sena 5 came in the post today and fitting it was really easy. I tried all but the intercom functions and so far I'm pleased but I suppose the intercom and battery longevity will be the tellers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,010
What's the best bike comms?

I have read the chat with interest but remain unclear. I have a neotech and have been using a Scala Q2 Pro which I have found not fit for purpose. I need to link with the GPS (Nav IV) which in turn will link with the phone. I also need a bike to bike facility with a friend who uses the Scala dedicated neotech system which is dearer than mine but seemingly just as useless. In my case I've gone through 3 units in 15 months with problems over dropping out of the GPS pairing, switching issues as between GPS and bike to bike such that it tends to stick to one or the other and when I've needed GPS then I've had to unpair the bike to bike. On the current unit which is about 12 months old the mic has just packed up and it no longer has any volume adjustment. The radio RDS has never worked meaning that a move a mile down the road (I'm on the edge of a VHF boundary) sends it into static. I think generally the unit has too many potential uses in such a small package and it all just gets so complicated it falls over and often takes the GPS with it. I am not hugely sold on bluetooth but I think with the Nav IV and the dedicated GS mount I have no other option though I'd prefer the reliability of a wired connection personally. I no longer trust Scala so what is the best option?

Sena SMH10

I have a Sena SMH10 and am very happy with the its bluetooth, intercom and GPS connections.
The software upgrade is excellent as they DO listen to users suggestions. eg music to pillion and connection to other brands of bluetooth intercoms
The only fault is support. My unit became sticky and this was a manufacturing fault with a coating they applied. It took some effort for them to send replacement housings. Not good.
Just a note though, bluetooth is limited in its range and many manufactures claim amazing distance but in truth bluetooth is excellent for communication between rider, pillion and GPS. Dont push it to far between bikes.
Safe Riding

Autocom - better than any bluetooth system yet invented, not least because you don't need to be total geek to operate it!

I swapped out my Autocom for a Sena 20s. The quality of the sound for rider-passenger is definitely better with digital VOX and filtering. Now when you start interfacing to PMR radios on the other hand...

I went for the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Multi-Set. The chief reason I went for this one was because I can plug my custom SoundEars straight into the unit without having to modify it.

I got the Multi-Set because it wasn't much more expensive than a single unit at the time of purchase and then I could have one in use and one charging whilst riding. Or if I'm riding with a buddy in a group they could use the spare.

I like that it can connect to 2x bluetooth devices and and up to 4x intercom links (I've only ever connected to 1 other unit but have connected it to the Zumo 660 and my Iphone4). You can also connect an mp3 player up to it with a cable (never used it as I listen to audio via the Iphone or the Zumo).

It's good for up to about 1km but you might get more depending on terrain. I like that it has FM radio, which I use a fair bit and the Click-to-Link feature that allows you to connect with other units on the fly without prior pairing (although I've never used this feature).

It's firmware is upgradable and you can adjust various settings using the software like FM presets, VOX sensitivity, hot dial etc... another good thing is that they are compatible with a bunch of older Cardo units which have been very popular.

The speakers are loud, clear and crisp even with ear plugs and the same for the microphone. I really like the sleek design and the build quality so I would fully recommend it.

The only caution I'd say is to make sure that it's properly connected to the cradle with a firm 'click' before you ride away.

cardo-announces-scala-rider-q1-and-q3-intercoms-58797_1.jpg

Cheers for this report SB, really informative on the key points! :beerjug:

So, 6 weeks in to the replacement F5's, and I'm getting a low battery warning after 6 hours.:blast I've told them I want to return the F5, and get another brand, so now I'm waiting for the return to be authorised.

Funny how all the comms threads are full of debate about which is the best (or the worst) bluetooth system - and/or what difference the latest firmware update does (or doesn't) make. There are more opinions than there are systems and clearly absolutely no agreement about anything.

Meanwhile the Autocom-enabled just carry on regardless, with no firmware to update, no battery-life worries on and no concerns about inter-connectivity.

Is it just me, or are some people slow on the uptake?

:nenau:nenau:nenau

Have you ever ridden in heavy rain for 2 solid days ? A mate and I did in Scotland a couple of years ago and both our SMH10s packed up due to water ingress. Replaced with Scala Rider G9s and never had a problem with heavy rain since.

Sena do not specify that their units are waterproof and I know why, which is a shame because I quite liked their ease of use.

Interestingly I've had the opposite experience. A couple of scalas packed up on me after riding in the rain but our SMH10s and 20s have been faultless in even torrential downpours.

I stopped using autocom when we changed bikes a few years ago and the new ones didn't have enough space to mount them. We've never looked back. We had autocoms pack up due to water, failing leads, dodgy microphones and hated the half duplex way of working. Often you'd be trying to tell people which way to go and others would be speaking, thereby blocking your transmission. Sometimes this was local taxi firms etc so outside of your control. We also find the audio quality from the 20s superior to our old autocoms and scalas.

I suppose then that these experiences prove that any personal recommendation is useless and you should try whatever, yourself.

Back
Top Bottom