Dublin to Skibbereen and back

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Brut 33 and I will arrive in Dublin around lunch time Friday to head down to Skibbereen, would appreciate any suggestions for a fairly quick route as we would like to arrive in time for afternoon tea :D Was considering possibly (using an old map I have) N7, N9 to Waterford, then N25 along the coast to Cork, then N71?? Should we use motorway? AA route planner suggests approx 212 miles and about 4 hours using M/way and toll roads.

We will be heading back to Dublin on the Sunday, the ferry is late evening so we have time for a leisurely ride back and was thinking perhaps of passing through the Wicklow Mountains.
Any constructive comments or piss taking welcome. Thanks, Al.

Brut 33 and I will arrive in Dublin around lunch time Friday to head down to Skibbereen, would appreciate any suggestions for a fairly quick route as we would like to arrive in time for afternoon tea :D Was considering possibly (using an old map I have) N7, N9 to Waterford, then N25 along the coast to Cork, then N71?? Should we use motorway? AA route planner suggests approx 212 miles and about 4 hours using M/way and toll roads.

We will be heading back to Dublin on the Sunday, the ferry is late evening so we have time for a leisurely ride back and was thinking perhaps of passing through the Wicklow Mountains.
Any constructive comments or piss taking welcome. Thanks, Al.

Google maps is showing the route you describe as taking just under 5 hours. If you go M7, M8 to Cork and then N22 and onto Skibbereen it's about 4h 20m. But at least your route gets you off the motorway and you get to enjoy the coast road a bit. Depends on how time critical your journey is really versus how much boring motorway you can stomach in one go.

For the way back here's a route you'll most definitely enjoy...https://goo.gl/maps/ZEcWpk4vGT12

One thing to watch is that some roads on the Wicklow mountains are still completely impassable due to snow drifts. That's why I haven't included them in the route above. This may well change in the coming few days mind you. I'll keep an eye on things and update you in a few days if you want...

Cheers,
Seán.

Thanks Sean, hopefully the mountain passes will be clear in four weeks time. How much are the M/way tolls?

If it were me: - arriving in Dublin lunch time on Fri, I'd get the feck as far away from Dublin ASAP. Head for M50 via city center & out past Heuston station keeping on that urban dual carriageway till you hit the M50. Head south to the next (M7) junction. {some Dublin natives may have better suggestion here}.
Head down M7 (1€ toll after Portlaoise - a coin under the fuel filler cap lock thingy is your friend); take the M8 to Cahir.
Your pleasurable biking starts here; head for Lismore via the Vee & then for Fermoy & Mallow, then to Coachford & towards Macroom. Turn left on approaching the Macroom Cork road & take next right. Dumanway, Drimoleague & Skibereen are next.
If really stuck for time skip the Vee (shame) & keep on M8 to Fermoy & then as described.
It will take over 5 hours - trust me.

What Gerry says. From just after lunchtime on a Friday all main routes leaving Dublin will be heaving with traffic so best to get the feck away from the city as quick as you can.

Agreed.
Gerry's route from Cahir will be fantastic.

Sent from a U11

If it were me: - arriving in Dublin lunch time on Fri, I'd get the feck as far away from Dublin ASAP. Head for M50 via city center & out past Heuston station keeping on that urban dual carriageway till you hit the M50. Head south to the next (M7) junction. {some Dublin natives may have better suggestion here}.
Head down M7 (1€ toll after Portlaoise - a coin under the fuel filler cap lock thingy is your friend); take the M8 to Cahir.
Your pleasurable biking starts here; head for Lismore via the Vee & then for Fermoy & Mallow, then to Coachford & towards Macroom. Turn left on approaching the Macroom Cork road & take next right. Dumanway, Drimoleague & Skibereen are next.
If really stuck for time skip the Vee (shame) & keep on M8 to Fermoy & then as described.

saved this route, thanks !

Thanks Gerry, being realistic this should get us there early evening. What time is last orders?:D

Also thanks to Aiden, Sean and younger.:beerjug:

Thanks chaps, I think time will be of the essence as we don't want to arrive at the hotel too late. Sunday will be our day for leisurely travel back. So looks like it's the motorway.

Thanks Sean, hopefully the mountain passes will be clear in four weeks time. How much are the M/way tolls?

Sorry, thought from your first post that it was this Friday that you were coming over. Roads will be well clear by the time you come arrive! :)

On your way back to Dublin, make your way over towards Waterford and then take the following route - https://goo.gl/maps/cMpgVGhvdVs

Nice twisties through Wexford and a lovely scenic spin across the Wicklow mountains too. Stop in Inistioge on the R700 if you have time - there's a lovely café called Circle of Friends in the middle of the village.

Oh Yes, the best Rainfordian haggis, lovingly handcrafted in the Lancashire badlands. I've even exported coals to Newcastle. I'll bring a frozen one for you, so hopefully it may survive your trip back to Edinburgh.

Oh Yes, the best Rainfordian haggis, lovingly handcrafted in the Lancashire badlands. I've even exported coals to Newcastle. I'll bring a frozen one for you, so hopefully it may survive your trip back to Edinburgh.

Just bring it fresh (or frozen and let it thaw on the way). I'll bring likewise and we'll organise a wee blind tasting in the hotel to settle the matter. :D. Just a bit of fun like.

Leaving Dublin at midday to enjoy an evening in Skibbereen it would be motorway all the way to Cork for me I'm afraid, no messing about! M7 J14 Mayfield is a food/service option about an hour from the port (might be a bit soon but I'm not sure of M8 food options). 2 barrier tolls, €1 each, guy in front pays with a €2 coin (eggs and suck, forgive me). After the first toll the motorway splits, keep left M8.

You arrive on the north east side of Cork and then through the tunnel (there is only one) onto the link road to head to west Cork and this section will be busy with the Friday exodus. If you get to Skibbereen too early you can take a spin out the road for a bit of scenery....... or just check in and head straight to the bar :beer:

Welcome, safe riding and hope to see you there. https://goo.gl/maps/eCspZCMNaKS2

As the lads say, get outta Dodge ! Most people leaving Dublin on a Friday after about 2.30 bring a picnic with them :D
Gerry's suggestion is a good one to get out but filter like fook & get past as many cars as possible. If that goes well for you stay on the N/M7 as far as Portlaoise & then take the old road south (brown sign saying "Alternative Route) - N77 to Durrow & then R639 all the way to Fermoy to rejoin Gerry's route. You'll pass through all the small towns but it's way more interesting & entertaining than the dreaded motorway.

I'd leave The Vee until your return journey. You can easily include it on your way to join Sean's route near Waterford. If you go through Inistioge there's a lovely cafe just after you cross the bridge over the River Nore
I would however eliminate the back track between Castledermot & Tullow. Even though the first bit out of C'dermot is lovely I'm not sure it's worth it. And, if it was me, I'd probably cut off at Leighlinbridge and head through Tullow, Hacketstown, Glenmalure (another nice spot to stop for a cuppa & a bite), Laragh & then straight through the junction at Sally Gap to Dublin. Just my £0.02 worth...

As the lads say, get outta Dodge ! Most people leaving Dublin on a Friday after about 2.30 bring a picnic with them :D
Gerry's suggestion is a good one to get out but filter like fook & get past as many cars as possible. If that goes well for you stay on the N/M7 as far as Portlaoise & then take the old road south (brown sign saying "Alternative Route) - N77 to Durrow & then R639 all the way to Fermoy to rejoin Gerry's route. You'll pass through all the small towns but it's way more interesting & entertaining than the dreaded motorway.

I'd leave The Vee until your return journey. You can easily include it on your way to join Sean's route near Waterford. If you go through Inistioge there's a lovely cafe just after you cross the bridge over the River Nore
I would however eliminate the back track between Castledermot & Tullow. Even though the first bit out of C'dermot is lovely I'm not sure it's worth it. And, if it was me, I'd probably cut off at Leighlinbridge and head through Tullow, Hacketstown, Glenmalure (another nice spot to stop for a cuppa & a bite), Laragh & then straight through the junction at Sally Gap to Dublin. Just my £0.02 worth...

Yeah, yer probably right. I love the stretch of road outside Castledermot, but it's probably not worth it as part of a longer spin from Skibbereen all the way to Dublin Port. The shorter route through Hacketstown and Glenmalure is also nice but going straight on at the Sally Gap crossroads means you miss out on riding alongside Lough Tay on the Sally Gap (possibly the best view the Wicklow mountains has to offer). Better off turning right towards Roundwood enjoy the views, and then continue down into Kilmacanogue and boot up the M11 straight to Dublin port.

I love the stretch of road outside Castledermot
Cracking bit of road alright :bounce1

going straight on at the Sally Gap crossroads means you miss out on riding alongside Lough Tay on the Sally Gap (possibly the best view the Wicklow mountains has to offer)
Good point well made :thumb
I was only trying to save them from the M/N11 for as long as possible....

Leaving Dublin at midday to enjoy an evening in Skibbereen it would be motorway all the way to Cork for me I'm afraid, no messing about! M7 J14 Mayfield is a food/service option about an hour from the port (might be a bit soon but I'm not sure of M8 food options). 2 barrier tolls, €1 each, guy in front pays with a €2 coin (eggs and suck, forgive me). After the first toll the motorway splits, keep left M8.

You arrive on the north east side of Cork and then through the tunnel (there is only one) onto the link road to head to west Cork and this section will be busy with the Friday exodus. If you get to Skibbereen too early you can take a spin out the road for a bit of scenery....... or just check in and head straight to the bar :beer:

Welcome, safe riding and hope to see you there. https://goo.gl/maps/eCspZCMNaKS2

Surprisingly easy to miss that exit, and rectifying the error might cost you an hour or more... :blast :augie

I don't think I ever bettered 5 hours Dublin to West Cork (in a car) in the four years I worked there - Schull, Baltimore, Kinsale.

Until what time is food available at the hotel? I'm expecting we won't get there until at least about 18.30hrs, assuming we get off the ferry handy, traffic is OK and we don't get lost.

Thanks for the comments fellas :thumb

Until what time is food available at the hotel?

I'm sure Geraldine will be along shortly with a definitive answer but - Skibereen is way west so the sun doesn't set until much later than you're used to & people stay up much later too :D

On a more serious note they were still serving at 21.00 when we were down for the recce :thumb

Back
Top Bottom