Ducati 899 Panigale - 2014 - Service time

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Well, the 899 got its 3rd annual service last month which is due every 12 month or 7,500 miles. I've managed to hit 7,500 per year so am now on 24K.

This was just an oil service, so less than £200, although there were a couple of bits it needed to go back for (which are the first things I've had to get sorted out of warranty). Firstly the Gear position sensor needed replacing as they tried resetting it but it still wouldnt show all the gears, and secondly the exhaust heatshields had come loose (underbelly exhausts on the 899) and unfortunately that means the exhaust has to come off for them to get to the bolts that hold the heatshields on. Quite a bit of labour needed, but all sorted perfectly by the guys at Italia Moto :thumb2 and the charge was reasonable given the time and parts (just under £300 and the new sensor was £100 of that).

The service intervals and costs on the 899 are not too bad, they don't have belts that need replacing but the valve clearance check is the big one. This is significant because a) its a L-twin and b) the engine is a stressed member so it takes a huge amount of labour (11 hours from memory at the 15K service) to pull the bike apart. They effectively split the bike into two.

Given how many miles I do, I should hit 30K in September next year, at which point I will get a new C&S (the first chain and sprocket only lasted 15K, but I guess thats the nature of the bike) as well as a valve adjustment service, and won't expect much change from £1K :eek: .

The bike is amazing though, and whilst I have funds available to replace it, I really just can't see anything out that I'd like at the moment. Yes servicing costs with the valve check are high, but it would cost me more to replace it and you cant now get the 899 (I've tried the later 959 and its a backward step driven by Euro 4).

I do like the idea of the Desmosedici Stradale, but doubt I could ride a 210bhp bike how I ride the 899, so for now I'm going to suck up the increased running costs as it gets older and just enjoy it.

RBW.

Ducati aren't the only manufacturer that are giving out dry bumming on servicing , there's a guy on the MT10 forum just shelled out £1400 for his 24K service !!!!
They must be unobtanium shims
899 is a lovely looking bike and probably great fun to ride on a regular basis , nice to see you getting your moneys worth out if it

Ducati aren't the only manufacturer that are giving out dry bumming on servicing , there's a guy on the MT10 forum just shelled out £1400 for his 24K service !!!!
They must be unobtanium shims
899 is a lovely looking bike and probably great fun to ride on a regular basis , nice to see you getting your moneys worth out if it

£1400 for a service, what did they do? - replace the engine?

No way would I pay £1400 for a service, that's nearly 18% of the total bike cost (once purchase tax has been deducted).

25 valve clearances to check and possibly re-shim. Why don’t bike manufacturers use self adjusting tappits like they do in cars.

It’s madness having to take bikes apart every 6, 12, 18 or 24k miles depending on the bike.

Some need fork oil replaced at 16k so a major service with valve check, fork oil, brake pads & discs + tyres you could easily have a bill for way over £2k

Back
Top Bottom