BMW R1100S Repaint + Refresh

Well things have been moving along at CT HQ.

I got the fork lowers and bottom yoke prepped and painted, got some bits and pieces plated. Prepped and painted the wheels and got her back on her wheels.

IMG_2179 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2181 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2186 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2193 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2212 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2210 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2214 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2216 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I fitted some Billet Alloy indicators (to the already fitted tail tidy)

IMG_2205 by tunneruk, on Flickr

And some Rental Grips (I will be repainting the bar ends before ;) )

IMG_2207 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I've adapted a modern K1300S logo and used painted it in with the same BMW motorsport colours, It's fairly subtle but seems to work well.

IMG_2175 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2177 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2204 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I've repainted all the black bits of the bike in a metallic that is my own recipe, The belly pan was really knocked about so I wrestled it into submission and got it looking nice

IMG_2206 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I have also been applying the second and third coats of clear to all the individual panels which were painted as an assembly during the week. There's bloody miles of it! :D

Beautiful work (as usual). I wouldn't have chosen that colour for the wheels, but that's just a matter of taste. I love the colour scheme on the rest of it. It gives the bike a very sporty look. The bike looks lighter and more streamlined than it did in plain black.

Beautiful Job I particularly like the shot from the rear, love the swooping colours

I'd personally have gone with the darker blue on the wheels, but there is no denying that you have produced a first class piece of work. Brilliant.

Impressive ! Tbh I wouldn't expect anything less the man has talent. But SWMBO said me and you are cocks

Question

when you painted the wheels, it looked as though you didnt mask the bolt holes for the brake rotor's.

Did you run a tap down the threaded holes after?
Is the amount of paint negligible?
If you did mask the holes, how?

What did you use to mask of areas, special tape or regular masking tape from B&Q?

I have never done any spray painting, just curious

thanks

Question

when you painted the wheels, it looked as though you didnt mask the bolt holes for the brake rotor's.

Did you run a tap down the threaded holes after?
Is the amount of paint negligible?
If you did mask the holes, how?

What did you use to mask of areas, special tape or regular masking tape from B&Q?

I have never done any spray painting, just curious

thanks

I didn't mask the bolt holes or the end of the disc posts. I did mask the rear wheel flange though.

Then the paint was about an hour old I cut the paint off the end of the posts with a single edge blade right back to clean alloy. The following morning I ran a tap down the disk bolt holes to clean them out but in fairness as you say the paint within was negligible.

I do have a tip though .. If you need to mask up a threaded hole, use foam ear plugs and cut off the excess ....

IMG_5104 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Top quality as usual Chris, I love your styling and attention to detail.

Beautiful Job I particularly like the shot from the rear, love the swooping colours

Yep, that's the 'money shot', isn't it?

I really like the colours on the R1100s logo too - that has worked well.

It now looks as sporty as an 's' model perhaps should. The original plain black looks very ordinary now.

class work as always....

man hours = huge number?

That's a great result, wheels and all, I love it. In fact I like the wheel colour so much I'd be tempted (if it were mine) to add a bit more blue either on the belly pan or along the lower edges of the black panels. Or perhaps some blue accessories to pick up the colour in the stripes.

Something like these perhaps?

boxercupgirls_zpsxs3dfqho.jpg

Back
Top Bottom