And so it begins......

Our hotels on the trip...

Just for info, below are the hotels we stayed in, all of which were booked via booking.com:

> Hotel Le Chantoiseau, Domaine du Moulin Haut, Chaumont sur Aire, 55260, France
Good: nice bedroom & bathroom, great food & drink, nice restaurant, pretty location, welcoming hosts, safe parking for bikes, good/free wifi
Bad: mosquitos on the terrace

> Hotel Alpenhof, Dorfstrasse, Oberwald, 3999, Suisse
Good: nice bedroom & bathroom, excellent food & drink, welcoming hosts, beautiful location, secure parking for bikes in underground garage, good/free wif
Bad: v expensive wine

> SHG Hotel Villa Carlotta, Via Mazzini, Belgirate, 28832, Italy
Good: nice room, fantastic breakfast, nice restaurant, good food & drink, great location by Lake Maggorie, short walk to other restaurants & bars, well equipped hotel, parked bikes in front hotel car park, good/free wifi
Bad: hungry mosquitos, air conditioning was faulty

> Hotel Madatsch, Stilfserjochstrasse 31, Trafoi, 39020, Italy
Good: awesome room with a stunning view, great food & drink, nice restaurant & terrace, very well equipped hotel (pool, sauna, steam room), secure garage parking for bikes
Bad: wifi in room only, but strong signal there

> Hotel Schworer, Ludwig-Kegel Strasse 25, Lenzkirch, 79853, Germany
Good: nice room, great food & drink, average location, on road parking for the bikes close to hotel entrance, good/free wifi
Bad: staff were not very hospitable, and there was a particularly bloody rude member of staff that served us @ dinner

> Weinhotel Restaurant Klostermuhle, Haupstrasse 1, Ockfen, 54441, Germany
Good: lovely room & bathroom, great food & drink, nice restaurant & terrace, very friendly & helpful staff, secure garage parking for the bikes, pleasant location, good/free wifi
Bad: nothing

> Domaine de Vadancourt, 10 Rue de Chateau, Maissemy, 02490, France
Good: quirky styled room & awesome bathroom, quiet location & safe parking for bikes, beautiful grounds, friendly staff (non english speaking)
Bad: no restaurant as such (evening meals need to be booked in advance) & wifi is free but more or less non existent

Great trip by the looks of it, And bloody good weather your were blessed:D,

Dave:thumby:

If you like touring around in 40 degrees heat of mid summer ......:blast

Yep, it was bloody roasting most of the time. Still, at least we managed to sweat out most of the food and drink we consumed in the evenings!

Just for info, below are the hotels we stayed in, all of which were booked via booking.com:

> Hotel Le Chantoiseau, Domaine du Moulin Haut, Chaumont sur Aire, 55260, France
Good: nice bedroom & bathroom, great food & drink, nice restaurant, pretty location, welcoming hosts, safe parking for bikes, good/free wifi
Bad: mosquitos on the terrace

Good: nice bedroom & bathroom, excellent food & drink, welcoming hosts, beautiful location, secure parking for bikes in underground garage, good/free wif
Bad: v expensive wine

Good: nice room, fantastic breakfast, nice restaurant, good food & drink, great location by Lake Maggorie, short walk to other restaurants & bars, well equipped hotel, parked bikes in front hotel car park, good/free wifi
Bad: hungry mosquitos, air conditioning was faulty

Good: awesome room with a stunning view, great food & drink, nice restaurant & terrace, very well equipped hotel (pool, sauna, steam room), secure garage parking for bikes
Bad: wifi in room only, but strong signal there

Good: nice room, great food & drink, average location, on road parking for the bikes close to hotel entrance, good/free wifi
Bad: staff were not very hospitable, and there was a particularly bloody rude member of staff that served us @ dinner

Good: lovely room & bathroom, great food & drink, nice restaurant & terrace, very friendly & helpful staff, secure garage parking for the bikes, pleasant location, good/free wifi
Bad: nothing

Good: quirky styled room & awesome bathroom, quiet location & safe parking for bikes, beautiful grounds, friendly staff (non english speaking)
Bad: no restaurant as such (evening meals need to be booked in advance) & wifi is free but more or less non existent

Yep, we’ll summed up. :thumb

I’d add that the in-room air conditioning at Hotel Le Chantoiseau was bloody brilliant, and that I wouldn’t stay at Hotel Schworer again if you paid me. Being woken up by the locals going to work at 5am was not a highlight of the trip, and I still want to harm the waitress, who I’m convinced is a relative of Adolf himself.

Spent 8 days in switzerland with it pissing down with rain, Sleet and hail would sooner had your weather Nutty :D at least i could have put sun cream on.

Dave :thumby:

Yep, we’ll summed up. :thumb

I’d add that the in-room air conditioning at Hotel Le Chantoiseau was bloody brilliant, and that I wouldn’t stay at Hotel Schworer again if you paid me. Being woken up by the locals going to work at 5am was not a highlight of the trip, and I still want to harm the waitress, who I’m convinced is a relative of Adolf himself.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the subject of accommodation, if anyone is looking to stay in a nice B&B around 5 minutes from the tunnel, I can’t recommend Pigeonwood House enough. It’s in the middle of nowhere, safe parking for the bike, and Mary does a cracking full English breakfast.

http://www.pigeonwood.com

...safe parking for bikes…

…secure parking for bikes in underground garage…

…parked bikes in front hotel car park…

…secure garage parking for bikes…

…on road parking for the bikes close to hotel entrance…

…secure garage parking for the bikes…

…safe parking for bikes…

Great trip and well done for reviewing hotels from bikers point of view.

However, how does one go about prior to booking hotel for the night, find out if hotel has a secure bike parking without spending endless amount of time calling hotel reception and asking.....
From experience booking.com only let’s you know if there is or isn’t any parking at the location.

On the subject of accommodation, if anyone is looking to stay in a nice B&B around 5 minutes from the tunnel, I can’t recommend Pigeonwood House enough. It’s in the middle of nowhere, safe parking for the bike, and Mary does a cracking full English breakfast.

Good to know.

Great trip and well done for reviewing hotels from bikers point of view.

However, how does one go about prior to booking hotel for the night, find out if hotel has a secure bike parking without spending endless amount of time calling hotel reception and asking.....
From experience booking.com only let’s you know if there is or isn’t any parking at the location.

The only definitive way is to contact the hotel; I did send an e-mail to booking.com to ascertain if they could add in 'secure parking for bikes' as one of their filters....I won't hold my breath ;)

Generally, Ev, there isn’t the bike security issue in Europe as there is here. Try to avoid staying in town centres, and you should be fine. We only used our disc locks once on the whole trip, even then, they weren’t really necessary.

Generally, Ev, there isn’t the bike security issue in Europe as there is here. Try to avoid staying in town centres, and you should be fine. We only used our disc locks once on the whole trip, even then, they weren’t really necessary.

I’ve not locked my bike in Europe for years

Just down the road from me. I have a garage for bikes, but I'm not called Mary, don't do a good breakfast, and I'm too curmudgeonly to offer accommodation to noisy, smelly bikers!

Cool. Thank you nutter

Back
Top Bottom