Late Wander (26, evening??) 27 & 28 October

Mr Brenchleyhibs sans Mrs Brenchleyhibs on this trip - only a single berth required please. I'm happy to book the room for the Friday night at the St Omer Ibis if you could include me in the hotel booking for the Saturday night. I'm happy to share or go solo - whatever it takes to get us all in.

Cheers,
Andy

:tears No Mrs BHibbs.

Great if you can do your stuff with the Ibis, whilst I hunt hotels.

Cheers,

Richard

PS forgot it's half term!

If needed I can reserve 5 rooms in Vianden using booking.com

These can be cancelled up until about two days before we leave.

At least we will have a backup if needed

If needed I can reserve 5 rooms in Vianden using booking.com

These can be cancelled up until about two days before we leave.

At least we will have a backup if needed

That would be great.

I am waiting to hear from Hotel Petry in Vianden, who I emailed a day or so ago. Bed and breakfast basis is good, as we can then take a view on where and when we eat.

Reserved here

We can cancel up to 24 October with no fee

Karl

Auberge Aal Veinen
114, Grand-Rue, 911 Vianden

Karl, that's excellent. Thank you.

We'll go with it :thumb2

Next stop, some routes for us to have a mull over.

Richard

Richard

pm me an email address and I will forward to you the full booking etc so that you can peruse the full deal.

It is 60 euro per night - breakfast extra.

karl

Richard

If you prefer one of yours then go with it.

Just let me know and I can cancel if needed.

Karl

Routes - Joining instructions etc.

Hello everyone,

I have cobbled some suggested routes together, picking bits from routes I have used before. I have created two files. One is .gbd which should open up straightaway in Mapsource. The second is a .gpx version, useful if anyone is not running a Garmin device or wants to display the routes in GoogleMaps or GoogleEarth, using something like GPS Visualizer:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Both files are hosted on Dropbox.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Vianden - October 2012.gdb

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Vianden .GPX - October 2012.gpx

For the first night, Chunnel to St Omer I have simply routed it straight down the motorway. It's not the most exciting way but it's not far and I am conscious that we lose an hour crossing and don't want to be fiddling about too long in the dark. Better perhaps to get to the hotel, check-in and find some grub.

Day two, St Omer to Vianden is a decent schlep. I have deliberately taken us down the motorway to Cambrai, just to knock off some miles. Then it's across country on N and D roads. I have added a suggested lunch stop at Chimay. Again, I think it's worth taking the motorway for the first bit, simply as it will get us started on our way and hopefully arrive in Viaden before the light goes. It also builds in some leeway in case of any problems en-route.

Day three, Vianden back to the Chunnel. Here I have done two alternatives. Again, it's a bit of a reasonable schlep back either way. Both route us through a suggested coffee stop at Liart and a possible lunchstop at Peronne.

From Peronne, we have a choice depending on what time we arrive and leave and / or want to get close to the Chunnel for our return. Either:

(1) Cut across to the motorway and home

(2) Head up on a non-motorway route

Both alternatives work OK

========

I think we are all on the same train going out. Suggest we check-in and rendezvous at the passenger terminal thing. My only hesitation is that I am dependent on leaving the City on time on Friday, which is not 100% certain. I all else fails, let's meet up at the Ibis. I will PM everyone my mobile number anyway.

If we can all get off the train with a full tank of petrol that would be great. There is plenty of fuel en-route but it means we can all get going on Saturday morning without too much fiddling about. Similarly, if we can all fuel-up / top-up somewhere near Vianden for the next morning, that would be handy.

Breakdown and Travel insurance. It's up to the individual, as always. Having it helps us to help you (and visa-versa). Viewed another way, how far do you want to push your bike with a busted clutch lever and a broken leg? On two recent (non-Wander) jaunts I have seen two bikes written off, one pillion in hospital for two nights, another bike near enough written off, a broken thumb and one tibia that proved to be cracked after the bod hobbled home..... all were sorted out reasonably smoothly by us whilst standing on very rural roadsides, as the bods involved all had decent insurance cover. The biggest problem was mobile phone signal, which was patchy. Thankfully they are all now OK.

I will have a simple but comprehensive enough toolkit and a puncture repair kit with me, too. If anyone doesn't have one, don't worry I am happy to employ mine.... which has seen action more than once.

The other (possible) consideration is the weather. Fingers crossed it will be much like this weekend in central London, reasonably bright but with the odd shower lobbed in, cooler / colder in the evening and early morning. Whatever it turns out to be, it's the end of October so anything is just about possible. Prepare for the worst, expect the best, is always my motto.

I will liaise with Karl over which hotel in Vianden we might use. We now have a choice of two, both very similar in price and standard.

Hotel Petry

http://www.hotel-petry.com/

and

Auberge Aal Veinen

http://www.hotel-aal-veinen.lu/index2.php

Both work and both are reasonably central in Vianden, so it's six and two threes. I sort of half favour the Petry but only because I want to maybe try it out ahead of a possible (larger) Wander in 2013. Either way, we have hotels for both nights, which is a bonus.

I think that's just about it.

Richard

Some pictures:

St Omer

lille-grande-place-saint-omer.jpg

Chimay:

4830350362_634f04df1f_z.jpg

Vianden:

page041.jpg

vianden4.jpg

I have never stayed in Viaden but have often been through it en-route somewhere else. I have always had it marked down as a potential place to visit, so this jaunt will be a good opportunity too see what it's like.

Pauline and I would have loved to come on this one. Unfortunately she broke her leg running last month, and is still on the mend. So we are off to the Lake District for a late break instead, and the mode of transport is the car.

Have fun in Vianden, lovely place to visit.

Dxtans

Hi David, sorry to hear about Pauline's break but good to hear she seems to be on the mend. Enjoy the Lake District and look forward to seeing you both next year.

We have often stopped In St Omer, quite often something is going on in the Square, Xmas markets, traveling fairs and one year they had shipped in a huge amount of sand and converted the square into multiple beach volleyball courts, naturally I only watched the ladies section for educational reasons.:augie

I don't know if you have stopped at the centreville Ibis before, but round the back are gates to secure parking, I think reception has to open them ? also we arrived after nine one night and they were still happy to feed us.:thumb so all in all a good place to stop.

Enjoy your trip.
John.

Hi John,

Yup, I've used the St Omer Ibis before and agree that it's one of the better ones.

Near the square there is quite a good bakers who open early. I have used it to buy some pre-filled rols for lunch, when riding around on my own.

OK - I'm all sorted for the Friday night. Booked on the 18.36 Chunnel and into the Ibis in central Saint Omer.

I'll await your deliberations about the Saturday night hotel.

I could only get booked onto the 18.50 Chunnel for the return on the Sunday so if they can't squeeze me in on the 18.20 with you guys on the day then - oh well, ho hum - no worries.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Departures on the 26th.

Cheers,
Andy :beerjug:

Excellent news, Andy.

We are staying at 'Hotel Petry' in Vianden.

http://www.hotel-petry.com

It was six and two three's between the two hotels. I landed on the Petry only because I want to try it out before a bigger 'Wander' next year and it was a whole two euro cheaper :thumb2

Excellent news, Andy.

We are staying at 'Hotel Petry' in Vianden.

http://www.hotel-petry.com

It was six and two three's between the two hotels. I landed on the Petry only because I want to try it out before a bigger 'Wander' next year and it was a whole two euro cheaper :thumb2

Two euro cheaper

That my beer for the evening sorted then:beerjug:

Train booked :thumb2

Departure: Friday 26 October 2012 Departure time: 18:36

Returning: Sunday 28 October 2012 Departure time: 18:20

Re the return journey, would I be right in thinking we depart at 18.20 would arrive at 18.50 French time, allow for the hour time difference plus the hour we lost when the clocks go back, arrival time 16.50 does that sound right? bear with me it's been a long day :comfort

Back
Top Bottom