Basecamp and Nav 5.......... My way .............

So, can I not use the 'curvy route' option in basecamp unless I upgrade to a 590?

In BaseCamp, running on your computer, it will plot you a route that it perceives to be 'curvey'. How it does it might depend on some of your other settings or it may override them, I have no idea. Play around with it. You can't break it, it's free and they can't touch you for it.

Send the route to your GPS device, which will run it quite happily.

Whether you are happy with the route it offers up, is another matter entirely. If you are unhappy, plot your own or amend it to suit yourself. If you are happy, go for it.

Yes it can !
Trust me on this you don't need to put in lots of points just ensure that the ones you do place are done accurately.

As you all know by now I am not a great fan of Basecamp but I tottaly agree it does work. If you can't plot a route properly I'm afraid you need to accept it is you and not the software. Were I staring now I don't doubt I would use Basecamp all the time. I don't simply because I have software that does everything I need already. I play with Basecamp from time to time and maybe one day I will find something offered by it that will make me change to using it full time. I am certainly not against new things, just wary of confusing new with improved.

John

Now click the device transfer button and check the top 2 boxes at transferring routes. this will strip out any shaping points but send a second version to the device that still has them (just in case)

Hi Redrick, I'm curious about why you check these boxes?

Hi Redrick, I'm curious about why you check these boxes?

I do it as it seems to allow the route without loads of shaping or way points being in the route on the device.

It just seems to work for me and you end up with a clean route and a back up with the points on just in case.

I've just had another look at Basecamp. A route I plotted using Tyre and added to my 660 has been transfered to Basecamp which takes a totally different road to get to the first waypoint whichever setting I use. Another portion of the route takes me up a road then back down it and a different way into Hawes from the originally planned route.
I guess if you plan the route using Basecamp it may well work.

Also I find the map detail very poor in Basecamp. Unless I have my Garmin to hand I can't see a very detailed road network at all. I've imported the OSM maps which are better but not good.

I'll stick to Tyre, much easier.

I've just had another look at Basecamp. A route I plotted using Tyre and added to my 660 has been transfered to Basecamp which takes a totally different road to get to the first waypoint whichever setting I use. Another portion of the route takes me up a road then back down it and a different way into Hawes from the originally planned route.

Part of your problem is using Tyre or any other non Garmin product to create the route. Points you place on the Tyre map are just points in space and therefore may not match with your Garmin map when you transfer it. You can always add a via point or two to bring the route where you intended. Better to do it on a Garmin map, I use Mapsource because I know it and find it really simple to use-just like in Google you can create a basic route between two points and then drag and drop, creating via points as required. No doubt the Basecamp experts will provide a simple guide to doing likewise in Basecamp.

John

I do it as it seems to allow the route without loads of shaping or way points being in the route on the device.

It just seems to work for me and you end up with a clean route and a back up with the points on just in case.

Interesting, do you have route recalculation switched off?

John

Also I find the map detail very poor in Basecamp. Unless I have my Garmin to hand I can't see a very detailed road network at all. I've imported the OSM maps which are better but not good.

There is plenty of detail in basecamp you just have to zoom in or you could use the OS overlay which gives you all the detail you could ever need !

I have said this before but ..

Garmin Sat nav units work and garmin have produced mapping software to compliment those Nav units. The 2 work hand in glove so to speak. To expect third party software to work as well as the designated software is akin to expecting a mini wheel to perform well on a landrover and then slagging off the landrover for its failings

Well this is the detail I get from Basecamp using the Basecamp map. I can't even see B roads.
And yes I understand what you say about the 2 working together. It's just that I find other programs a damn sight easier to use.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 230
Well this is the detail I get from Basecamp using the Basecamp map. I can't even see B roads.
And yes I understand what you say about the 2 working together. It's just that I find other programs a damn sight easier to use.

Zoom in !!

Regardless of whether or not you can see the B roads they are there and basecamp will use them to plot your route from A to B if you have the routing set right in the first place. I would suggest that shortest route would be the option to achieve this

So, I'm trying to plan a route, and so far so good, however, when I try dragging the route to avoid a town or village, thats when it all goes wobbly, and ends up going up a road, then back on itself! Then I try dragging the route back, and it's all gone wrong. I can click Undo, but can't seem to get round this problem. Any ideas?

I have zoomed in, zoomed in as far as it will let me. The map in question is "Global Map" without connecting my Zumo I don't have anything other than this & the OSM map.
I have full European maps on my device but unless I carry it with me and connect it to my PC at home or work I can't use them.

I have zoomed in, zoomed in as far as it will let me. The map in question is "Global Map" without connecting my Zumo I don't have anything other than this & the OSM map.

Ok this is what i get with about 75% zoom and seems to be the approx same area in basecamp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 10.58.25.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 10.58.25.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 272
Or if you use the OS overlay you can have this much detail with less zoom which I think you will agree is more than you will ever need for a bike trip

This is Basecamp BTW

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 10.56.44.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 10.56.44.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 316
Yes but I can't get it loaded on my PC unless the 660 is connected, once I disconnect the map disappears.

I plot very specific routes, often using single track roads over the moors.

So, I'm trying to plan a route, and so far so good, however, when I try dragging the route to avoid a town or village, thats when it all goes wobbly, and ends up going up a road, then back on itself! Then I try dragging the route back, and it's all gone wrong. I can click Undo, but can't seem to get round this problem. Any ideas?

User error Rich

Try dragging it in smaller bites

Back
Top Bottom