Status
Not open for further replies.
Now incorporated in 2008 listing

When: April 2008
Where: At home
Name: Jonny_L
Bike: 12GS, 55 plate, 8000 miles
Remedy: Bike recovered to Vines via BMW assist
Days lost: 2 days without bike, but got a free courtesy car so all OK. Missed a night down the pub though :tears
Cost: All free under warranty

Results so far: 105 failures
unknown date (will be sorted later): 10
2004: 5
2005: 7
2006: 18
2007: 29
2008: 36

There's another half dozen reports that sounded like FPC failure and I've PMd the individuals (Judda, Phil Adams, Eric Norman, etc.) to ascertain the outcome at the dealer.

At this rate we could see more than 65 failures in the UKGSer community for the whole of 2008. :eek:

A substantial number of these failures were in moving traffic and therefore potentially dangerous. Many were whilst people were on holiday and involved lost days or cutting their holidays short.

Tim

PS: please continue reporting any failures on this thread

R1200GS/GAS fuel pump controller failure

Hi Roger, your input and support is welcome but I'm not including Ramon's incident in the figures as I'm only tracking UK owners (otherwise the number of instances would be judged on how many bikes have been sold worldwide, rather than just UK).

Responding for my friend and riding buddy RamonP (Mexico)
Cancun Mexico, September 2007
RamonP
R1200GS 2006
New fuel pump controller and inside of tank fuel pump also replaced
Unfixed for several weeks
Ended up purchasing new 2007 R1200GS in order to attend major BMW rally because 2006 model was long delayed in getting problem sorted out.

When: 2 weeks ago, July 2008
Where: Middle of nowhere, Western Australia
Name: Pukmeister
Bike: 2004 R1200GS
Remedy: Mate drove 3 hours to recover me with his trailer. Drove me 3 hours back home. Bought a replacement part from the only BMW Motorrad dealer for 1,000,000 sq km in WA and fitted it myself.
Time Lost: A sunday whilst riding, and a monday evening to drive to Perth and get the part and fit it.

Now incorporated in 2008 figures

Tucker QuayVipers MCC
04 1200GS
12th July Tour Of Scotland and North End of England
Workaround carried out and Mobile but couple hours lost tryin to get the hold of me BAd signal in the rocks of Dungloe!

Gotta be the worst idea apart from the Ring Antenna of course!

Hi Dave, Sounds like the controller might be on the way out, but if all you've done is clear and dry it, it doesn't count as a failure. Come back in a couple of days time :augie

Hi Tim, only just bought this bike 1200GS conked out twice a day after 21/06/08 while out with bro on his GS. managed to get home found out from mate that this is the controller swapped with brother started and ran fine.found out that the thing was full of water before I disassembled it dried out and refitted sealing with silicon no prob since crap design for a bike that coasts so much not impressed at all.
2005 model 1200GS
full of water and crud. BMW, get your act together.
Dave Jermy Norwich:(:mcgun

Last edited:
Now incorporated in 2005 and 2007 figures

Hi Tim, Here are my details.
When: First, June 2005 Coin outside Malaga.
Second: April 2007 Edinburgh 20 miles from home.
Name: Gary
Bike details: 2004 1200gs
Remedy: First, BMW recovery
Second, Out of warranty so bus to dealers to pick up new controller.
How many days lost: First, Bike in dealers in Malaga for one week waiting for part.
Second, 1 day.
Costs: First: BMW assitance covered the dealers bill and I claimed back car hire, taxi fares and phone costs on return
Second, Bus fares plus time.

I now carry a spare controller. Also check your bike tool kit as mine did not have the correct size of torx key to take the controller off.

Now incorporated

- When and where did it happen? 3.4.08 A3- 3 miles from Guildford.
- rider name - Barfly.
- bike details (model and year) R1200GS 2006 - bike belonged to Vines - I was test riding it with a view to buy.
- remedy - mechanics from Vines came out (eventually - see my thread of the 4.4.08)
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? None
- Were there any incidental costs? Not really, just £s in mobile phone costs.

When: August 2007
Where: Ørnes, Norway
Name: Gunnar Langfjord (GPLongford)
Bike: 07 1200GS
Remedy: new controller via dealer
Days work/holiday lost: Zero, but some eveninmg hours

Incorporated in 2007/08 figures

When: May 2008
Where: outside lane, M4
Name: Fabian
Bike: 07 1200GSA
Comment: "I nearly died!"

When: Jan 2007
Where: Spain, on way to Timbuctou
Name: Nick Sanders tour
Bike: 1200GS
Remedy: fixed in Spain

When: Feb 2008
Where: Merseyside
Name: Judda
Bike: 57 1200GSA (less than 1000 miles on clock)
Remedy: BMW Assist didn't have the part (there's a first), so recovered to dealer

Incorporated in 2007 figures

Name: Cafemaestro
Bike: 07 1200GS
Failed: @ Home, Not sure when - think it was Nov '07
Remedy: BMW Customer assistance came & fitted new part
Lost days: None (had a car) but bike was u/s for 2 days
Incidental costs: None

Hassle: Lots
Worried: Yes - I expect it to go anytime

Come on BMW - Live up to your advertising hype!

Welcome to the site, Simon. Now incorporated in 2008 failures

when may 2008
where Berkshire
name Simon Graham
bike 2005 r12gs
remedy new one fitted by BMW dealer £150
Bike was in the dealer for 5 days (I could only get there on the weekend to pick it up), and i had to commute on my GSF1200 instead.

Incorporated in 2008 figures

When - M27
- rider - me
- bike details _ R1200GS 2004, 54 plate
- remedy - replacement part needed (£75)
- How many days work/holiday did you lose?- No bike for 4 weeks
- Were there any incidental costs? - train tickets to work
A global shortage so no bike for a month, thanks Bahnstormer.

Edit: I think there was a shortage as a new design was deployed.
Oh, and welcome to the board!

Tim

Cheers, now incorporated

Hi Tim, I have just had the original fuel pump controller on my May 2005 R1200RT replaced.

John

Cheers Paul, second failure in 2004 now incorporated

Tim, I see you picked up my 2004 1200GS failure which I had completely forgotten I had posted.

I had one of the very first 1200GS so it wasn't a known problem then. IIRC it failed in May when the bike had only a low mileage on it. It failed at home (bike wouldn't start one morning) so irritant rather than disaster. I then had a second failure in I think September/October - again not a major disruption but that was by luck though the down time did lead to rescheduling work appointments. However it started to fail during an overtake which was mildly exciting. No problems since then (GS/RT/GSA) touch wood. But having also had a fuel pump go on an 1100, I do get a bit nervous!

fuel pump sensor failure

Now incorporated

2005 gs 1200 failed september 2007, chesterlee street, luckily, out of warranty but they replaced it free , i now have old one modified to replace if goes again, and you are right, something needs to be modified

Incorporated, thanks

- Bout an hour and half from home. 6 weeks ago.
- R1200GS '07. 3000 miles.
- rescued and replaced
- warrenty

Incorporated, thanks

At last, I feel like a proper tosser now mine has finally broke.
Happened at Praa Sands
Bike has done 9378 miles and is a 07 GSA
didn't loose any time of work or holiday, but I did miss the coffee I was going for.
While ocean have had it they have also done the software upgrade and EWS change. Should be delivered back to my house before I return home from work, so all in all I am a happy chappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom