Classic

Colm Cummins

Reaction score
Hi All
I am hoping to pick up an R1200r Classic in the near future. Just recently found out that because of the spoked wheels the tyres are tubed. Pain in the butt if punctured in the middle of nowhere. Not to handy with the tools so levers and spare tube are not an ideal solution. Failing changing wheels to alloys has anyone tried anything else or is it just prayers and recovery phone number.

Hi All
I am hoping to pick up an R1200r Classic in the near future. Just recently found out that because of the spoked wheels the tyres are tubed. Pain in the butt if punctured in the middle of nowhere. Not to handy with the tools so levers and spare tube are not an ideal solution. Failing changing wheels to alloys has anyone tried anything else or is it just prayers and recovery phone number.

I always just use a tin of car tyre foam, you know the stuff you can buy for about a fiver from Wilkinsons, that blows up the tyre as well,

Then when I get it properly repaired, I ditch the tube and fit a new one,

In 20 years I have only ever used it a couple of times.

Hi All
Went through that same problem last summer. Came to a head when Sue got a puncture on way home from France. Luckily we carried a a pair of spare tubes but still a pain. Did lots of research and asked advice from a couple of tyre fitters as lots of options and stuff on YouTube, results were A. its a lot of trouble and not 100% B. not an easy fix on the road (Plug & Go) In the end decided on the alloy option. Not as expensive as first looks. Motorworks supplied front wheel, seems same as F800. Found a rear from breakers, usually heavy front damage to rightoffs but rear all ok. Total inc repainting wheels was approx £500. about a quarter cost of new. Also wheels are almost 3kg lighter and can easy get a new tyre fitted if needed on tour. Think they look good too.:thumb Still have option of refitting wires come resell time

Attachments

• New wheels pannier.jpg
    New wheels pannier.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 469
Went through that same problem last summer. Came to a head when Sue got a puncture on way home from France. Luckily we carried a a pair of spare tubes but still a pain. Did lots of research and asked advice from a couple of tyre fitters as lots of options and stuff on YouTube, results were A. its a lot of trouble and not 100% B. not an easy fix on the road (Plug & Go) In the end decided on the alloy option. Not as expensive as first looks. Motorworks supplied front wheel, seems same as F800. Found a rear from breakers, usually heavy front damage to rightoffs but rear all ok. Total inc repainting wheels was approx £500. about a quarter cost of new. Also wheels are almost 3kg lighter and can easy get a new tyre fitted if needed on tour. Think they look good too.:thumb Still have option of refitting wires come resell time

THat looks fantastic.

Hi Colm,
I had similar concerns, this is a very useful link

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27497

I might give it a go next time my tyres are due for a change,(if I haven't sold the bike)
Having said that, that spoked wheel on the mono-arm does look good!

One of the options I investigated, looks perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKeVNBAmQQ But quite expensive for the kit as needed to get it from the States at that time, import duty etc. Need lots of patience and reading reviews from USA and others not always a guaranteed 100%. All depends on the quality and thoroughness of installation, as always. After much research and ringing round Alloys best for what we do as regards touring and have a nice shiny set of "bugger to keep clean" spokes come resale time;)

Back
Top Bottom