Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Before and after pictures of the headlamp bulb holder afer a 3hrs soak in malt vinegar :bow

Attachments

• #1 Lamp holder.jpg
    #1 Lamp holder.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 478
  • #2 Lamp holder.jpg
    #2 Lamp holder.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 482
Before and after pictures of the carburettor thanks to a 'Paddy Ducati' refurb

Carb is a square slide Dell'Orto VHB29AD

Attachments

• #1 Carb.jpg
    #1 Carb.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 473
  • #2 Carb.jpg
    #2 Carb.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 468
So I found I had a problems with the front wheel bearings going tight when the bearing carriers and disc are bolted up, so tight in fact they locked up. I took both bearings out, cleaned the sockets and refitted the bearings, no change. Giving it some thought over a few days at work I decided to shim one of the bearing carriers off from the hub rather than try and alter the length of the bearing spacer.

One of the shims made up from gasket paper

Attachments

• 05 gasket.jpg
    05 gasket.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 427
Turned out I needed both thick and thin gasket in to set the correct spacing for the bearings. Why this has become necessary I have no idea but I'm quite happy to have shims in there if it fixes the problem.

Both shims (gasket paper) in place.

Attachments

• 06 gaskets installed.jpg
    06 gaskets installed.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 420
The oh-so-rare clutch and choke lever assembly I bought has the wrong spacing and hole size for the CEV light & horn switch :rolleyes:

This is the black plastic base for the switch balanced on top of the perch. The red arrows tell you all you need to know, I'll have to drill and tap it

Attachments

• 01 Switch doesn't fit.jpg
    01 Switch doesn't fit.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 393
Marked up ready to centre punch and drill. The drill I had was over size so I ground it down on a stone so it just passed through a 4mm nut

Attachments

• 02 marked up.jpg
    02 marked up.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 03 tapping.jpg
    03 tapping.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 399
The screws were cut down and low-and-behold, it fits!

Attachments

• 04 screws in.jpg
    04 screws in.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 396
  • 05 switch fitted.jpg
    05 switch fitted.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 413
Good one ebbo :thumb

We're all watching intently and with great interest :thumb

:beerjug:

Good one ebbo :thumb

We're all watching intently and with great interest :thumb

:beerjug:
Cheers Micky and everyone else, I've been waiting three weeks now for the painted parts to be done and two weeks for zinc bits, hopefull next week... :nenau :thumb2

Cheers Micky and everyone else, I've been waiting three weeks now for the painted parts to be done and two weeks for zinc bits, hopefull next week... :nenau :thumb2

Yes I remember the waiting when I did my Z650:rolleyes: It will definitely be worth it though and I look forward to seeing the results :beerjug:

A new toy has come to play in the ebbo garage. How many times I wished I'd had a lathe!

Sorry its a mess, I've been so excited over this I'm still using it on the delivery pallet it’s bolted to :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Warco.jpg
    Warco.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 439
First job was to make up a new shouldered pivot bolt for the master cylinder. The old one was rusty and the end of the thread was gone where I'd had to cut the old lock nut off.

The original bolt

Attachments

• Old bolt.jpg
    Old bolt.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 418
So construction is as simple as I could make it.
One S/Steel M6x30mm bolt with the head skimmed off to make it look nice.
The top washer is a thin one cut down to a diameter of 11.85mm so it sits in the alloy housing.
The M6x15mm mild steel sleeve was the main bit turned up on the lathe, diameter I can't remember
Thin washer on the bottom and a new M6 Nylock nut

Attachments

• 01 new bolt.jpg
    01 new bolt.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 421
  • 02 new bolt - old bolt.jpg
    02 new bolt - old bolt.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 409
Bolt fitted and looking very nice :thumb2

Of course, this is simplifying things, it's taken three days on and off to get this far :D

And btw, this is probably the most expensive bolt since the Apollo program!

Attachments

• bolt fitted.jpg
    bolt fitted.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 398
Bolt fitted and looking very nice :thumb2

Of course, this is simplifying things, it's taken three days on and off to get this far :D

And btw, this is probably the most expensive bolt since the Apollo program!

But oh so worth it for the satisfaction it brings :)

Andres

Did you have to bush the lever?

I have made brass 'press in' headless bushes to take out the slop in levers on projects.

Did you have to bush the lever?

I have made brass 'press in' headless bushes to take out the slop in levers on projects.

Well done Dr, do you have a lathe?

I didn't need to bush the brake lever, it does have a steel bush in it but I don't think its worn. (Thinking back, the bush outer dia is around 6.96mm so the wall thickness on the 6mm bolt is ermm, very thin)

The clutch lever on the other hand does need a bush. It's straight alloy and it's worn quite oval. It doesn't seem quite so daunting to fix now

I don't have a lathe in the current workshop, but it is on a long shopping list and there is space for it.

I used to have access to lathe/mill/materials etc in a former place of work.

A pal local to me will make my parts for me, I have to provide a sketch/drawing and material. (Retired precision eng, so happy being in his workshop).

I don't have a lathe in the current workshop, but it is on a long shopping list and there is space for it.

I used to have access to lathe/mill/materials etc in a former place of work.

A pal local to me will make my parts for me, I have to provide a sketch/drawing and material. (Retired precision eng, so happy being in his workshop).

Lucky you, you’ve saved a fortune! :D

What ever you do, don’t go into the RDG Tools showroom in Halifax, brand new Myford lathes made to order :eek:

Back
Top Bottom