Retro fit Hill Start Control

Had it fitted to my 2017 TB just before Christmas, I use it regularly at traffic lights.

Am still finding some of the idiosyncrasies of the system - now know that if I engage HSC and then put the bike in neutral HSC stays engaged but it can't be engaged whilst the bike is in neutral.

Does engaging hill hold put the brake light on?
Alan R

Does it stay on when you turn the ignition off?

Would be a great way to stop theft. Can't imagine the moped boys pushing it down the road with both brakes locked on....

Does it stay on when you turn the ignition off?

Would be a great way to stop theft. Can't imagine the moped boys pushing it down the road with both brakes locked on....
Best way to stop 'ride away' theft is to reverse the steering lock, so that steering is only engaged when ignition is on/ engine running. Without ignition the wheel and handle bars would operate independently. The bike could then never be pushed away via scooter etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Best way to stop 'ride away' theft is to reverse the steering lock, so that steering is only engaged when ignition is on/ engine running. Without ignition the wheel and handle bars would operate independently. The bike could then never be pushed away via scooter etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The current steering lock simply stops the complete bars/forks/wheel assembly from moving out of a full left lock position, but the bars, forks and wheel are at all times in a fixed relationship rigidly and permanently connected to each other. This is pretty much fail safe as if the locking mechanism fails the steering just remains unlocked, and if it tried to lock while the bike is moving this would not be possible unless the steering was on full lock - very unlikely to happen if the bike were moving other than being moved around manually, and in the unlikely event of using full lock while actually riding, it would necessarily be at very slow speed.

What you are suggesting, admittedly probably not as a serious proposal, is not a steering lock in a fixed steering arrangement, but something which makes an unfixed arrangement lock so that it can then be used to steer the bike. This would mean there is not a fixed rigid connection between bars, forks and wheel, so the bars are effectively disconnected from the wheel unless the lock is active. However, this still needs some form of lock, in this case one which would prevent the locking mechanism from engaging while parked, and presumably this could be broken by thieves just like the current steering locks, and if so it would then be possible to engage the locking mechanism, allowing the bike to be steered.

This sort of thing would be mechanically complex, and as well as potentially introducing slack into the steering would not be fail safe. I wouldn't fancy riding a bike where if the steering locking mechanism failed the bars would disconnect from the forks/wheel and I would be left with no way to steer the bike!

As well as the ability to activate brake locking while parked, maybe it would be useful to have some form of panic button which could be pressed in a hijack situation, which would use a hill start type mechanism to lock on the rear brake and would also disable the ignition, rendering the bike unusable to anyone, even the owner. I would suggest just the rear brake as this should be enough to stop the bike being pushed away. This would mean that even if thieves had gained possession of the key or keyless fob they would still be unable to unlock or start the bike. Of course this would be a bit of a problem for the owner too after a failed hijack attempt, but maybe there could be some sort of arrangement whereby the owner could be given a code on the dashboard after a delay of say 30 minutes, to provide to a helpdesk, and would in return be sent a PIN code to unlock the bike, subject to suitable arrangements to ensure that the owner was not requesting this under duress, though I would suggest that not many potential hijackers are going to want to hang around at the scene of such an incident for 30 minutes!

As well as the ability to activate brake locking while parked, maybe it would be useful to have some form of panic button which could be pressed in a hijack situation, which would use a hill start type mechanism to lock on the rear brake and would also disable the ignition, rendering the bike unusable to anyone, even the owner. I would suggest just the rear brake as this should be enough to stop the bike being pushed away. This would mean that even if thieves had gained possession of the key or keyless fob they would still be unable to unlock or start the bike. Of course this would be a bit of a problem for the owner too after a failed hijack attempt, but maybe there could be some sort of arrangement whereby the owner could be given a code on the dashboard after a delay of say 30 minutes, to provide to a helpdesk, and would in return be sent a PIN code to unlock the bike, subject to suitable arrangements to ensure that the owner was not requesting this under duress, though I would suggest that not many potential hijackers are going to want to hang around at the scene of such an incident for 30 minutes!
Could be lined to the new SOS button..

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

When this first aired as a retrofit, some dealers wouldn't, some couldn't and those who could appeared to vary in price. Is there now a standard price for this modification?

When this first aired as a retrofit, some dealers wouldn't, some couldn't and those who could appeared to vary in price. Is there now a standard price for this modification?
Just had mine done today £175+ vat.

I had HSC on my RT LC and over about 18000 miles it was useful perhaps half a dozen times.

Typically it gave trivial benefits, such as allowing me to use my right hand to tug on a zip whilst I kept the bike in gear on the clutch. Like I said, trivial things.

If you're intimidated by the weight of the bike, or for some other reason have trouble operating the basic controls, then maybe it's worthwhile. But for most competent riders it's pretty pointless. I like my toys, but I shan't bother with this time.

My MY18 replacement GSA TB after my first bike suffered had an engine fault with persistent stalling after 5 months of ownership has HSC. I would say for the price they are quoting, its not worth it. The reason I say that is to pull away with HSC activated you have to give a considerable amount of revs and you can feel the bike holding back on releasing, it just makes me feel uneasy or that i'm damaging the bike in someway. Don't get me wrong its perfect if you live in an area surrounded by hills but realistically with day to day riding its absolutely pointless.

My dealer put it on my 2015 GSA last week with the service. They quoted £197 but took a tenner off when I asked politely.

On the way home I tried it out while waiting at traffic lights on a hill with pillion onboard. I put it in neutral and got both feet on the ground without doing the right-left-left-right dance, then stood up and stretched my legs and arms without dropping anything or anyone. Splendid.

For me, it makes life on the bike a little more comfortable and a little safer (slipping off the rear brake in that situation doesn’t bear thinking about), and that makes it worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We like the cruise control because if you a chance to relax your throttle hand and take the strain for you.
Thats how I view HSC, another tool to use if you want it. I use it on slopes as an opportunity to open vents, adjust cuffs, stretch or any of the other many things that you need two hands (feet) for.
I dont use it as a hill start aid, I use it as a hand brake, releasing it with the front brake before I pull away.

You have to activate HCS by squeezing front brake lever. Not automatic! When its engaged it comes up green and as you pull away the symbol flashes yellow to show its deactivating.

Back
Top Bottom