PCH info reqd

Peirre O`Bollox

Reaction score
Madam Trixies House of ill repute somewhere on the
I`m planning to ship my bike to the east coast USA around mid May 2018 and spending 4-8 weeks in country, and so far I`ve put together a coast to coast route from Washington to SF taking in:
The shenandoah parkway
The Blue ridge Parkway
Deals Gap
Pikes Peak
Million Dollar highway
Monument Valley
Glen Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Hoover Dam
Yosemite National Park,
Then on towards SF
However before I leave the UK I have to decide once I`ve reached the west coast I`ll have the choice of shipping home from LA or extending the trip northwards along the PCH and shipping home from Vancouver.
So I`m looking for info on routes/attractions along the Pacific coast highway north of San Francisco up to the Canadian Border to make it worthwhile adding the PCH to the trip

I`m planning to ship my bike to the east coast USA around mid May 2018 and spending 4-8 weeks in country, and so far I`ve put together a coast to coast route from Washington to SF taking in:
The shenandoah parkway
The Blue ridge Parkway
Deals Gap
Pikes Peak
Million Dollar highway
Monument Valley
Glen Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Hoover Dam
Yosemite National Park,
Then on towards SF
However before I leave the UK I have to decide once I`ve reached the west coast I`ll have the choice of shipping home from LA or extending the trip northwards along the PCH and shipping home from Vancouver.
So I`m looking for info on routes/attractions along the Pacific coast highway north of San Francisco up to the Canadian Border to make it worthwhile adding the PCH to the trip
b
Have to say I can't find fault with much of that ! ,,if you want to refine the fine detail I suggest you contact Sgt Bilco ,of this Parrish as he seems to be the font of all wisdom re USA ��

We did almost that exact route over 6 weeks in 2014. Flew the bike to NY and return from LA both legs arranged by James Cargo. If I was to do it again I would go north from California and fly back from Vancouver (check out if Air Canada are doing bike shipping again - was just £500 per leg in 2015).

The PCH from Fort Bragg where we hit the coast down to LA was mostly rather uninspiring, foggy, and expensive compared to the rest of USA. Also finding accommodation was sometimes a problem. Actually there were some pretty shitty bits too, and LA is vile. Sure there were good bits but what I thought was going to be one of the highlights, wasn't. By going north you could also take in Yellowstone, although its probably Yellowstone or the coast, not both. Depends on how much you have. We had another USA trip in 2015 where the Olympic Park and the north west coast of Washington state was highly recommended. We decided we didn't have time so didn't go (hindsight - we did) but did see the cascades, Yellowstone, Tetons, Badlands, Devils mountain and loads more, some of which you could fit in and I would recommend.

Whatever you do it will be a great trip. Don't over-plan so the adventures can come to you.

Ride reports here. http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/austins-adventures/110113-usa-2014-a.html and here https://www.bigtrailie.co.uk/index.php?threads/canada-usa-2015.1549/

I found most of the PCH north of SF uninspiring. Oregon and Nor Cal was much better further inland e.g. Tioga Pass, Bodie ghost town, Lassen Volcanic Park, Crater Lake, Mt. Hood :thumby:

I found most of the PCH north of SF uninspiring. Oregon and Nor Cal was much better further inland e.g. Tioga Pass, Bodie ghost town, Lassen Volcanic Park, Crater Lake, Mt. Hood :thumby:

I'll second this, it's slow going along the coast and repetitive. Do be sure to see the redwoods if you are anywhere near though. Zig zagging west, east, west, etc on the little roads from the coast inland are curvy and fun.

After initially conceiving the trip idea in July/August 2017 and buying the necessary Reise paper maps and Garmin 49 states maps to put together a possible route, I got as far as this https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mkjurp5jo8chvz/coast to coast.gpx?dl=0
I did wonder if the PCH north of SF would be boring and anything after SF would be a bonus trip. The inspiration for considering heading north was certain YouTube videos I`ve seen recently & the potential to ship home faster out of Vancouver, whereas the quotes I initially had for shipping the bike would`ve meant shipping the bike home in a sea container from LA. Despite my dislike for huge metropolises such as LA maybe I should widen my search for info on the PCH to include the route south towards LA and finish the trip there

My advice is to forget LA and think about Vancouver. There is so much to see north of SF.

If you want a bit of the PCH between LA and SF, drop down through Sequioa National Park and drop down to LA. Run Hwy 2 through the Angeles national Forest and then head north on the 33 out of Ojai. Some good riding there. Join the PCH to SF and don't forget Alices restaurant on 35 just south of SF.

Contrary to some opinion on the thread, I think the PCH north of SF is the best section. It's very scenic and compared with the southern section is very quiet. You will always get fog on the PCH so be prepared for that and if it gets too chilly, there are some great roads up there away from the coast. I ride this section at least twice a year and it's fantastic for working the edges of your tyres :D Don't miss the Giant Redwoods just north of Geurneville. The road north of Eureka is pretty dull to be honest so you are better off going inland to some fantastic places such as Crater Lake, Lassen Volcanic Park and Mt St Helens and Oregon is amonst the best places on the planet to ride.

I have a container coming back from Santa Rosa which is just north of SF in August if that's of any use to you.

My advice is to forget LA and think about Vancouver. There is so much to see north of SF.
I`ve spent several hour looking at my Nevada/California maps, trying to find a route which won`t have me meandering all over, and not have me doubling back on myself. So if I can maintain a steady westerly direction towards SF, then northward towards Vancouver with a few side trips, then I think that would suit me better.
If you want a bit of the PCH between LA and SF, drop down through Sequioa National Park and drop down to LA. Run Hwy 2 through the Angeles national Forest and then head north on the 33 out of Ojai. Some good riding there.
I suspect that`ll take me further south and will add a few days
Contrary to some opinion on the thread, I think the PCH north of SF is the best section. It's very scenic and compared with the southern section is very quiet. You will always get fog on the PCH so be prepared for that and if it gets too chilly, there are some great roads up there away from the coast. I ride this section at least twice a year and it's fantastic for working the edges of your tyres :D Don't miss the Giant Redwoods just north of Geurneville. The road north of Eureka is pretty dull to be honest so you are better off going inland to some fantastic places such as Crater Lake, Lassen Volcanic Park and Mt St Helens and Oregon is amonst the best places on the planet to ride.
Looking at these latter suggestions, my idea so far after Colorado (pikes peak, million dollar Hwy etc) would be drop down to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, around to the south rim (optional), down the 89 to Flagstaff, west on Route 66 towards Kingsman, then the 93 to the hoover Dam, skip around Vegas to the 160, 190 to Death Valley, 395 to Big pine towards Lee Vinning, then the 120 tioga Pass towards Moccassin/Merced, Then the 59/152 towards Santa Cruz. This would allow me to either head north on Hwy 1, or the 35 as you suggested towards SF, before crossing the Bridge and heading further north.
After SF, Hwy 1 towards Leggett, 101 to fortuna, With options of heading to the giant redwoods, then the 36 towards Red bluff, and the 36/89 towards the Lassen Valocanic NP, then the 89 towards Old station, then the 44 across to crater lake. After Crater lake, I can head towards Susanville and continue north. or double back east on the 44 before continuing north, Atm this is as far as I`ve got.

....Looking at these latter suggestions, my idea so far after Colorado (pikes peak, million dollar Hwy etc) would be drop down to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, around to the south rim (optional),...

You can save a day (I would) by not going to the south rim since the north rim is the better one anyway.

(Your thread here is motivating me to re-visit much of what you have planned since it's been 3-4 years since I last rode that area.)

You can save a day (I would) by not going to the south rim since the north rim is the better one anyway.

(Your thread here is motivating me to re-visit much of what you have planned since it's been 3-4 years since I last rode that area.)

And don't forget Utah 12 from Torrey to Bryce Canyon. It's a fantastic road and Bryce Canyon is stunning :beerjug:

If you're in the Sequoia National forest area there's King's canyon which is a dead-end road (so Americans don't go there and it's not busy) but it's a brilliant twisty road sweeping around, and through, hillsides and trees.

If you're in the Sequoia National forest area there's King's canyon which is a dead-end road (so Americans don't go there and it's not busy) but it's a brilliant twisty road sweeping around, and through, hillsides and trees.

In my opinion that is one of the best riding roads anywhere on the planet. Great empty tarmac snaking down into teh canyon through stunning scenery.

In my opinion that is one of the best riding roads anywhere on the planet. Great empty tarmac snaking down into teh canyon through stunning scenery.

I fully agree with you! I haven't ridden it for many years but still remember it fondly.

Pierre, Sven is spot on with Hwy 12. When you come across from Colorado, head north through Monument and up the Moki Dugway to 95. The 95 past Glenn Canyon is a stunning ride and not to be missed. Turn left at Hanksville through Canyonlands and left on 12 to Bryce. This will give you a real day to remember. From there, I'd drop down to the North Rim via Zion. You can then drop round to the Southern Rim if you want to.

If you are going through Yosemite, don't forget Glacier Point which is the best place in the park. The park can be very busy and slow going so be prepared for drivers at 20mph!!

My advice would be to drop out of Yosemite to Oakhust then down through Sequoia. You can then run across to the coast at Moneterey. You will ride some awesome roads on this route and although it's a little longer, it's well worth it.

Rest of it looks good and hwy 36 is a belter.

+1 on King's Canyon and I assume since you're going Bryce and Zion you'll take Hwy 12. You'll probably be ahead to just buy a National Park Pass which allows you in to all of them.

There are any number of videos on these roads you'll be taking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StcwbTIPaRs

I have two nights booked in Three Rivers in June to give me a full day exploring Kings Canyon :cool: I'll be in a Corvette Stingray, but it should still be fun

Thanks Gents all these places are duly noted, UT12 was already on my route, however Kings canyon will probably mean a diversion off route between Vegas and Lee Vinning.
The Google maps and Tyre software are being a PITA due to winter closures atm.
The section I`m struggling to find anything useful to see without a long dull slog, is the middle part connecting a winding section after Bull shoals lake (125/76/Hwy160) between Springfield and Colorado south of I-70, currently I`m looking at the 160 west towards Dodge City, then the 400 and Hwy50 towards Penrose (to stay off the I-70) before turning north for the 115 towards Colorado springs and Pikes peak, before skirting Denver west towards Mt Evans/I-70 down towards US-91/US-24, Then the 82 towards Carbondale then south towards the black canyon of the Gunnison, and then south on the 550 (million dollar Hwy), before Glen Canyon, Zion Nt Park, Vegas etc etc

You can't get to Kings Canyon from the East side and you have to loop down from Yosemite. It's well worth the effort.

There is precious little you can do about a "dull slog" across some of the US but it never bothers me. I never refer to it as that as a dull slog to me is the M1. It makes you realise just how big the place is. I put my music on, remember where you are and just enjoy the huge open spaces.

If you want a nice ride into Colorado, when you get to La Junta, drop down on the 350 to Trinidad Co. From there take a little loop round on Hwy 12 as it's a very quiet road and very scenic. Up to Colorado City on I25 then off 165 through Beulah Valley to Canon City. Visit the Royal Gorge at Canon City. There are some ace little back roads from there up to Pikes Peak.

From Mt Evans, drop down on the 24 then through Aspen on the 82 over Independence Pass at about 12,000ft. It's a nice scenic ride.

Left at Carbondale on the 133 then go left at Hotchkiss on the 92 which runs you down the East side of the Black Canyon. The last 30 odd miles of thos road are superb and read my current trip report about it.

Head West on the 50 and you will get into the Black Canyon off the 50.

You have to zig zag through Colorado to get the best of it.

I have completely lost track of your route but thought I would tell you of two lovely routes that we took based on local knowledge. You wouldn't be disappointed if you could fit these in.

First when you down Monument Valley way find a dirt track called "the Valley of the Gods". Its an easy trail - we did it two up+luggage on my GSA about 25miles (less?) IIRC - and starts just north of Mexican Hat on highway 163. It links through to Highway 261 and then onto the Moki Dugway - another dirt road that winds up a steep incline. Again easy to ride. From there it was a brilliant ride along deserted roads & highway 95 through Utah's canyon lands (not the NP - thats to the north a bit). https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...9b7a551!8m2!3d37.2666679!4d-109.8340136?hl=en

then...

The other route, not too far away (in USA terms) was the Burr Trail Road. Travel east to west starting near Bullfrog on the east side of the Grand Escalante NP. Its a an easy dirt road for the most part in stunning desert scenery with one very steep climb with 3 or 4 tight sandy hairpins. You come out in a small town called Boulder (on highway 12) where you are ideally placed to get to Bryce and Zion to the south west or Canyonlands and Arches to the North East.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.8...004&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Back
Top Bottom