Cheddar Gorge Ride

Gab

Reaction score
Hi All!

I did a quick search and I seem not to have found anything on this.

A friend of mine and I are planning to have a 1.5 day motorbike ride exploring the Cheddar Gorge. The plan is to leave London (west) in the afternoon of Friday and get back by Saturday night, spending the night in one of the campings in the middle of the gorge.

We are aiming to get as close as possible to the main view point (shown on Google maps with the camera logo next to it) and the morning after wake up early and have the following ride.

Double loop:
Loop 1: Cheddar > Wedmore > Wookey > Easton > Draycott > Cheddar
Loop 2: Cheddar > Star > Burrington > Voxter > Cheddar
And then on our way back to London go back north to Burrington in order to pass through Blagdon, Compton Martin, West Harptree, Bishop Sutton, Chelwood, then straight towards Chippenham and Marlborough in order to go through the Middle Wessex Down AONB. Once got to the east boundary of this we'll take the highway and go back to London.

What do you guys think? Is it worth riding the same roads twice just for the different scenery? Any suggestions would be warmly welcome! :)

Cheers,

Gab

I am sure some of the Zummerzet massive will be along shortly to help you townies out;)

Calling Fluffy Bridges and Mike Belch!

Was there a couple of weeks ago it was gorgeous but watch out for the goats. Enroute we rode down the M50 and went to Symonds Yat, East. Will definitely be going back with SWIMBO.

Hi All!

I did a quick search and I seem not to have found anything on this.

A friend of mine and I are planning to have a 1.5 day motorbike ride exploring the Cheddar Gorge. The plan is to leave London (west) in the afternoon of Friday and get back by Saturday night, spending the night in one of the campings in the middle of the gorge.

We are aiming to get as close as possible to the main view point (shown on Google maps with the camera logo next to it) and the morning after wake up early and have the following ride.

Double loop:
Loop 1: Cheddar > Wedmore > Wookey > Easton > Draycott > Cheddar
Loop 2: Cheddar > Star > Burrington > Voxter > Cheddar
And then on our way back to London go back north to Burrington in order to pass through Blagdon, Compton Martin, West Harptree, Bishop Sutton, Chelwood, then straight towards Chippenham and Marlborough in order to go through the Middle Wessex Down AONB. Once got to the east boundary of this we'll take the highway and go back to London.

What do you guys think? Is it worth riding the same roads twice just for the different scenery? Any suggestions would be warmly welcome! :)

Cheers,

Gab

Well Gab, seems like you've got yourself a monster excursion there!
Not sure what info you want. None of it is going to take you very long. You could do both loops well before elevensies and have time to get off the bikes and chill out walking the "Steps" and breathing in the fresh air.
Depending on the weather the gorge will either be slippery or full of trippers, their dogs and children wandering about aimlessly in the road. Mind how you go.
The roads around there are floated above the peat which subsides and so can be alarmingly bouncy!
Lunch at the Hunters Lodge, Priddy.
Have fun and keep the rubber side down.

Fluff
PS.
If you want adventure, come on one of my 500 mile Not For The Faint of Heart trips starting from Exmoor and circumnavigating Wales. Father's Day, dawn start, dusk finish until we hit the magic number.

Well Gab, seems like you've got yourself a monster excursion there!
Not sure what info you want. None of it is going to take you very long. You could do both loops well before elevensies and have time to get off the bikes and chill out walking the "Steps" and breathing in the fresh air.
Depending on the weather the gorge will either be slippery or full of trippers, their dogs and children wandering about aimlessly in the road. Mind how you go.
The roads around there are floated above the peat which subsides and so can be alarmingly bouncy!
Lunch at the Hunters Lodge, Priddy.
Have fun and keep the rubber side down.

Fluff
PS.
If you want adventure, come on one of my 500 mile Not For The Faint of Heart trips starting from Exmoor and circumnavigating Wales. Father's Day, dawn start, dusk finish until we hit the magic number.

Hey Fluff,

Many thanks for your response.

Apart from the two loops, what do you think about the rest of the itinerary? Do you reckon it is worth crossing the Middle Wessex Down AONB? Or once done in the Cheddar Gorge should we just go straight back to London?

I've done some further research on the area and I believe we'll most likely visit of the two caves. Which is the best between the Gough and the Dreamhunters?

Regarding the fact it's going to be pretty busy and that we will have to ride carefully that is something I was already aware of and we are not going there to get our knees down. It's more of a touristic ride with the chance to visit new places and see some amazing sceneries. That's what's all about.

Have you also got any camping to suggest where we can spend the night on Friday? We'll get there pretty late, I'd say at 9ish.

Cheers,

Gab

PS: I'd love to join your ride but I'm not going to be available on those dates. Next time!

It's all good and depends on your point of view. I wouldn't want to cloud your judgement or spoil the surprise...

Mix it up and enjoy yourselves.

Fluff.

Sorry, been away enjoying myself. Cheesy won't spot this thread as he doesn't frequent the forum any more. Coming from London, I usually head as far as Stonehenge, then take the Chitterne Road, heading along some back roads to Longbridge Deverill, Maiden Bradley and into Bruton. Then head North, past The Showground, up to Shepton, then take the Old Frome Road over The Mendips to Cheddar. Do not go to The Hunters, it used to be a fantastic pub in my caving days (talking of which, book a proper caving experience, not just the tourist caves), but Hartley's Kitchen (just look on TripAdvisor) is the place to go.
If camping, go to Cheddar Bridge, they've got a super grass camping area at the back of the site.
You'll likely get bored with The Gorge, especially if it's busy. On the top, turn left and head over to Burrington before heading off to Bath through the Chew Valley. If you have time, take a left on top and head to Churchill via Charterhouse, for a spot of lunch in The Crown Inn (google this one, it's easily missed). From The Crown, it's easy to take a run to Bath through Chew Valley. At Bath, head out on the A420 to Chippenham and pick up the old A4 for your run back to London. If you want to head over The Levels, then do so, but it's not one of the greatest loops available. Go though Wedmore and head down to Othery, via Shapwick, then head East on the 372 to Langport and head up to Somerton and work your way back over to Cheddar. If time's running late, take the 39 to Bath, avoiding The Chew Valley and pick up the 420 to Chippenham.
I use The Levels as a nice way to get North/South, but never plan a ride around, but that's just my preference.
There are other routes I could go though, but the one i've listed is one of my favourites and will get you around without a major rush.:thumb2

This is the way to travel through the gorge :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rkiRPB6r6ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andres

This is the way to travel through the gorge :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rkiRPB6r6ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andres

They are fuckin radio rental. Love it. I bet the fat lad won.:D

Sorry, been away enjoying myself. Cheesy won't spot this thread as he doesn't frequent the forum any more. Coming from London, I usually head as far as Stonehenge, then take the Chitterne Road, heading along some back roads to Longbridge Deverill, Maiden Bradley and into Bruton. Then head North, past The Showground, up to Shepton, then take the Old Frome Road over The Mendips to Cheddar. Do not go to The Hunters, it used to be a fantastic pub in my caving days (talking of which, book a proper caving experience, not just the tourist caves), but Hartley's Kitchen (just look on TripAdvisor) is the place to go.
If camping, go to Cheddar Bridge, they've got a super grass camping area at the back of the site.
You'll likely get bored with The Gorge, especially if it's busy. On the top, turn left and head over to Burrington before heading off to Bath through the Chew Valley. If you have time, take a left on top and head to Churchill via Charterhouse, for a spot of lunch in The Crown Inn (google this one, it's easily missed). From The Crown, it's easy to take a run to Bath through Chew Valley. At Bath, head out on the A420 to Chippenham and pick up the old A4 for your run back to London. If you want to head over The Levels, then do so, but it's not one of the greatest loops available. Go though Wedmore and head down to Othery, via Shapwick, then head East on the 372 to Langport and head up to Somerton and work your way back over to Cheddar. If time's running late, take the 39 to Bath, avoiding The Chew Valley and pick up the 420 to Chippenham.
I use The Levels as a nice way to get North/South, but never plan a ride around, but that's just my preference.
There are other routes I could go though, but the one i've listed is one of my favourites and will get you around without a major rush.:thumb2

That's a hell of an advice! Thanks mate!

I can see that the route you suggested to get there takes much longer than the standard suggested by Google via highway, which given the fact we're leaving today after work is the one we'll have to take, unfortunately. So forgetting about the way we get there, what is the best route on the way back to London tomorrow? As I was saying we're planning to to the loops but if you have better suggestions they are more than welcome. Furthermore we're also planning to do the cliff/steps walk, which should take around 1.5 hr. Is that any good? Weather is meant to be amazing tomorrow so we might enjoy the walk.

If you have a better route for the way back to London I'm all ears. The current plan is to have the cliff walk and right after it jump back on the bike, head north to Bishop Sutton lake, then to Chippenham where we'll get into the North Wessex Downs, go through it crossing Marlborough and once we get to Newbury we take the M4 and head back home. Is it a route that worth doing?

Cheers,

Gab

That's a hell of an advice! Thanks mate!

I can see that the route you suggested to get there takes much longer than the standard suggested by Google via highway, which given the fact we're leaving today after work is the one we'll have to take, unfortunately. So forgetting about the way we get there, what is the best route on the way back to London tomorrow? As I was saying we're planning to to the loops but if you have better suggestions they are more than welcome. Furthermore we're also planning to do the cliff/steps walk, which should take around 1.5 hr. Is that any good? Weather is meant to be amazing tomorrow so we might enjoy the walk.

If you have a better route for the way back to London I'm all ears. The current plan is to have the cliff walk and right after it jump back on the bike, head north to Bishop Sutton lake, then to Chippenham where we'll get into the North Wessex Downs, go through it crossing Marlborough and once we get to Newbury we take the M4 and head back home. Is it a route that worth doing?

Cheers,

Gab

I've done that run in the past and it's ok. Newbury onwards isn't one of the better ways back to London IMHO. It sounds as if you need to make some pace up on the to/from London bits, so need some quicker, but scenic roads. You can do Chew Valley, A420 to Chippenham, then head down the 342 to Devizes and all the way through to Andover, where you pick up the B3400 to Basingstoke. From there you can run up to the M4, head up the M3 or run down the 287 and up the A3, whichever's easiest for your London destination. Chew Valley's lovely, but the Bruton back roads run to Maiden Bradley, past Longleat and the B3098 from Westbury, picking up the 342's another option which avoids loads of town/city bottlenecks.

I've done that run in the past and it's ok. Newbury onwards isn't one of the better ways back to London IMHO. It sounds as if you need to make some pace up on the to/from London bits, so need some quicker, but scenic roads. You can do Chew Valley, A420 to Chippenham, then head down the 342 to Devizes and all the way through to Andover, where you pick up the B3400 to Basingstoke. From there you can run up to the M4, head up the M3 or run down the 287 and up the A3, whichever's easiest for your London destination. Chew Valley's lovely, but the Bruton back roads run to Maiden Bradley, past Longleat and the B3098 from Westbury, picking up the 342's another option which avoids loads of town/city bottlenecks.

Thanks again for your advice!

I can see on the map that if I do Chippenham > Devizes > Andover > Basingstoke I'll literally cut the route across the North Wessex Downs, which I'd go through if I were to do the A4 route (Chippeham > Marlborough > Newbury) you were suggesting in your previous post. What is your final advice on that?

Regarding the route to get there tonight I've re-checked the itinerary through Stonehenge, etc. and it'd actually take just 20/30mins longer than taking the highway so I think we'll end up going that way.

Thanks again for your advice!

I can see on the map that if I do Chippenham > Devizes > Andover > Basingstoke I'll literally cut the route across the North Wessex Downs, which I'd go through if I were to do the A4 route (Chippeham > Marlborough > Newbury) you were suggesting in your previous post. What is your final advice on that?

Regarding the route to get there tonight I've re-checked the itinerary through Stonehenge, etc. and it'd actually take just 20/30mins longer than taking the highway so I think we'll end up going that way.

You're on the bike, the weather's good, so a half hour extra for a nicer route's well worth it. The back road through to Maiden Bradley's not quick, but opens out shortly after and you can fairly whiz through to Bruton, with twisty's and views! The Wessex Downs are great, but need a day ride to take them in at their best on the back roads and B roads. As they're closer to you in London, i'd suggest a day ride out to explore rather than a West to East run through, which is why i've recommended the southerly run back as it's one of the nicest ways i've found to get to/from London, with twisty roads, scenery and not too slow.

You're on the bike, the weather's good, so a half hour extra for a nicer route's well worth it. The back road through to Maiden Bradley's not quick, but opens out shortly after and you can fairly whiz through to Bruton, with twisty's and views! The Wessex Downs are great, but need a day ride to take them in at their best on the back roads and B roads. As they're closer to you in London, i'd suggest a day ride out to explore rather than a West to East run through, which is why i've recommended the southerly run back as it's one of the nicest ways i've found to get to/from London, with twisty roads, scenery and not too slow.

Mate, you've made my day!

Thanks a million. I owe you a pint of (non-alcholic) beer. Don't drink and ride! :D

Sorry, didn't spot this request, but see Rich has you sorted :)

How did it go, did you like our little corner of the country?

If you really want to feel brave, do the CG sightseeing bit, then stop and do some extreme caving .

You can do a session in the gorge itself, or go and do one of the other caves.

Ive done 2 caves with the youngest, Its a whole new ballgame!

Mart

Back
Top Bottom