Not another silly law?

Link works if you remove the "eek"!

Old news though, been done to death in threads on here last year. Do a search and you will be enlightened/confused.

John

More silliness High-Vis-Vests-Compulsory

Seems they snuck it in under the radar... just to carry one...
From what I know, there is no fine if you don't have one. :confused: ... Like the breathalyser bollox.

An even sillier law . .

Is the current plan to reduce the national speed limit to 80 km/h from 90 km/h and the motorway limit from 130 km/h to 120 km/h.

If it becomes law (and it may not) France is going to seem a lot bigger.

As far as I know France has always had reflective helmet stickers - when I bought my first Schuberth helmet a few years ago the stickers came in the box and one was supposed to attach them if the helmet was going to be worn in France.

More silliness High-Vis-Vests-Compulsory

Seems they snuck it in under the radar... just to carry one...
From what I know, there is no fine if you don't have one. :confused: ... Like the breathalyser bollox.

It would seem the fine is actually 135 euros, not having the stickers = the helmet isn't approved = you are not wearing one.

I understand the risk of getting nicked is slim but rather put 4 stickers on my lid than take a chance on not having to give french plod 135 euros.

After looking at this a bit more, i've found this from a reliable source (French angry bikers)

It's quite a chunky read but just clarifies a few bits. Also states that stickers can be of any colour as long as they retro reflect white light.

I've highlighted a few bits of interest, there will be more but i've lost the will to live.

The text is a rough translation from French.

Regulation
- Article R431-1 of the Highway Code
"Outstanding, any driver or passenger of a motorcycle, motor tricycle, quadricycle motor or moped must be wearing a helmet type approved. The helmet must be attached.
Failure by any driver or passenger, to contravene the provisions of this Article shall be punished by a fine for offenses of the fourth class.

Pursuant to Article L. 431-1, the vehicle two wheeler whose driver runs without wearing a helmet approved type or without the helmet is attached can be fixed in accordance with Articles L. 325-1 to L. 325-3.

When the breach is committed by the driver, it leads automatically to the reduction of three points of the license. "
In its application, the article refers to the provisions of the Decree of 21 November 1975 setting standards of helmets used by drivers and passengers of vehicles.

Amended in 1985 and 1995, the text requires helmets for drivers and passengers two and three wheelers are consistent:
either the requirements of the French standard NF S 72-305

either the requirements of Regulation No. 22, Amendment 04 Geneva, noting that helmets must bear the signaling elements in retro-reflective materials referred to in paragraph 6.16 of the Regulation.

The decree sets the conditions of approval sets of signaling elements in the specifications attached loads.
Paragraph 2 of the general specifications provide that "a set of signaling elements for helmets must include:
the element in ensuring the white reflective signs in four directions (forward, backward, left, right) material;
the element orange fluorescent material filling the same role and all that is necessary for their attachment to the helmet. A set of signaling elements for helmets can not be sold unless it is accompanied by a notice complying with the requirements of Appendix 3. "

Appendix 2 describes the characteristics of the signaling elements:
They "must contribute to signaling motorcyclist by a continuous surface, simple form" . Each sticker must have "a total surface area and shape as defined in each direction, signaling is provided by a surface at least 18cm ². In each area, one should be able to include either a circle of 40 mm in diameter, a rectangle area at least equal to 12.50 cm ² and a width at least equal to 20 mm. "

22-04 The regulation essentially repeats the same requirements. However, it imposes no color, sticker front retroreflect only white light.

- Agreement of the United Nations Model Regulations 22 -. Revision 4 "Uniform provisions concerning the approval of protective helmets and their visors for drivers and passengers of motorcycles and mopeds"
The text details the standards that helmets and shields must comply to be registered in countries that have signed and ratified the agreement. These certification standards are so common to the members of the European Union and other countries such as Norway, Russia, Turkey, Japan, New Zealand States or South Africa.
however, Section 6.16 of the Regulation allows signatory states to impose freedom or not signaling helmets. "To comply with national requirements governing use different Contracting Parties may require that the helmet helps to signal the user , day and night:
forward
backward
right,
. leftward, using elements reflective materials "

The surface is then imposed the same as that provided in the French regulation: the retroreflective element employee must have a total surface area and shape such that the signal in each direction is provided by a surface of 18 cm2 at least of simple shape.
To date, only France has chosen to condition the approval of motorcycle helmets in the presence of four retro-reflective stickers, which is not without its problems as its nationals and foreign nationals.

Problems
Vis-à-vis French nationals
The pulsing with a helmet that does not have reflective stickers returns to circulate with an unregistered which is punishable by a fine of the fourth class (135 € in case of fixed penalty) helmet. Guilty of this offense drivers also undergo removal of 3 points on their license and may find their rest, the time they represent with a headset with good signaling equipment vehicle.
The penalty is the same as s they had driven without a helmet. It therefore seems completely disproportionate, especially since most helmets are sold without these precious stickers. Yet it is up to traders to fix helmets before they are sold.
Moreover, this national obligation prevents French riders buy their helmets abroad and is in fact an obstacle to the exercise of free movement goods, which is guaranteed by the founding treaties of the European Union.
Vis-à-vis nationals of the signatory States of Regulation 22-04 (now 22-05)

The legal department of the FFMC is regularly asked by British and Belgian riders who are worried about being fined on the French territory on the grounds that their helmets do not behave retroreflective stickers.

Article R431-1 of the Code of above route is indeed indiscriminately all drivers and passengers circulate in the country, and not only French users.
Neither England nor Belgium condition the approval of motorcycle helmets to the presence of reflective stickers, unlike France.
Indeed, these foreign bikers who use their helmets legally in their home country, are in breach of French law when navigating our roadways and may be fined if they do not affix stickers on their helmets to their entry on French soil.

Back
Top Bottom