To The Balkans and Back

Justjoe

Reaction score
Back in May a friend and I went on a four week trip to the Balkans, as far as Romania (The Transfagarasan) via the Alps and down to Croatia on our GS Adventures. During the planning and preparation I found loads of useful information on the forums here so I thought I'd share the ensuing adventure. Thank you everyone for all the info you provide on here it was no end of help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb-eceK7E2c

Part 2 is already on and parts 3 and 4 should be up next week.

We took a load of video footage, not really knowing what we would do with it all when we got back but thought it was a good way of recording the trip for our own memory. This video is the result of days (if not weeks) of sifting through footage and learning how to video edit. I'm really happy with it, as it puts me right back there in some of those moments. I hope it also gives others a taster of the trip and more over I hope you enjoy watching it! Please feel free to share/follow/like. Any feed back on how it watches would be much appreciated.

Wohoooo! Brilliant just watched some 5mins of it ... But bookmarked to watch with a glass of red today evening. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks for taking the time out to share. :thumb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wohoooo! Brilliant just watched some 5mins of it ... But bookmarked to watch with a glass of red today evening. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks for taking the time out to share. :thumb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

+1 other than the Red wine, tea for me sadly......

Excellent enjoyed that. :thumb2 great trip so far, and brill video, some people have too much tiime and talent when producing these ;)
Now hurry up and edit the next two instalments... :D

It was good to watch a video with all the humour banter between you two and even the mishaps were funny, how on earth did you fall off at such slow speed on the roundabout :D

You showed all the ups and downs brilliantly :clap

Thank you for sharing :thumb

Glad you're enjoying it. It's the first time I've produced a video like this and it's really hard to be objective about it, so it's great to get some positive feedback! I'll crack on with the next instalments that are almost there. Thanks guys!

Not my finest moment on that roundabout! Entirely my fault, it took me most of the trip to get used to reading traffic coming round roundabouts the "wrong" way and that was just a momentary laps in concentration. I thought he was letting me go, so went to do a slow right turn to pull round him then realise he wasn't letting me go and dabbed the breaks mid low speed turn, school boy error! Could have been a lot worse though and its the only time in four weeks either of us dropped one, I'm putting that down in the win column :D glad you liked it :D

I usually find these things rather tedious, but that was a great video - focused on the things that make trips memorable, which is not the scenery or the fine roads, but the camaraderie and the craic.

I usually find these things rather tedious, but that was a great video - focused on the things that make trips memorable, which is not the scenery or the fine roads, but the camaraderie and the craic.

I was hoping that was the case as I too find a lot of ride videos a bit tedious, I thought I'd made it quite watchable but I'm too attach to the memory to know if it's interesting for anyone else so great feedback thanks :D

Looking forward to part 3, enjoying your videos, how did you get the video of both of you on the bikes going up and down the pass?

Looking forward to part 3, enjoying your videos, how did you get the video of both of you on the bikes going up and down the pass?

Just getting on with part 3 now.

We balanced a camera on a rock at the top, set it rolling then went down and back up the last few corners, it was a chore real ;) the panning was done digitally afterwards. Used a bit of artistic licence so its not all totally chronological but it watches better for it I think.

Thanks for watching

Great stuff and a great trip! You both have a great 'can-do' spirit. Keep it coming.

Regards, Al

Great vids bud....some memories good and bad of sarejevo and dubs and split for me, im hoping to revist BIH in the next few years.. looking forward to no.4

dusty

Yet again another great video that keeps you engaged and interested at all times :thumb. I can only imagine on how long it takes to do the editing :blast

I have noticed that you were still filming at boarder control checkpoints, did you ever get into trouble for this? I only ask because normally when I was using my GoPro coming back into the UK, there are signs everywhere telling you not to video. I did slip up one time and left the recording and the female officer went a bit loopy :rob

2 vids in, one of the most entertaining trip reports I've seen. I also see the value of having the intercom to chat!

Yet again another great video that keeps you engaged and interested at all times :thumb. I can only imagine on how long it takes to do the editing :blast

I have noticed that you were still filming at boarder control checkpoints, did you ever get into trouble for this? I only ask because normally when I was using my GoPro coming back into the UK, there are signs everywhere telling you not to video. I did slip up one time and left the recording and the female officer went a bit loopy :rob

Its the same the world over, some borders seem really hot on it and others not. We didn't get in any trouble although it was on my mind, we both had Sena10C headsets, which are pretty well bolted to the helmets. When on, they are always flashing (not bright) different colours and speeds depending what they are doing, but the light is on the side and while they do have a lens on the front they look more like an intercom. It would be very hard for someone to know if you were filming or not.

Reminds me, years ago, a border guard on a remote Indian/Bangladesh border that wanted to rip the film out of my camera, it was the early days of digital and when he realise there was no film he was pressing all the buttons trying to get it turned on, then blatantly asked me to turn in on but in Bengali, so I played dumb and we ended up walking away but he was quite irate. It's a good job he never got it turn on as the first picture he would have seen was of my GF at the time filling in paperwork in the hut right next to us, I suspect we may well have been arrested!

2 vids in, one of the most entertaining trip reports I've seen. I also see the value of having the intercom to chat!

I can understand if people are used to big trips with no coms then it's a big change, especially if (like me) you are quite happy with your own thoughts and if it were with people you didn't know so well it could get annoying but personally they were the best things we bought for the trip (except maybe the bikes :D) they properly made it!

Probably not good practice to advocate but we used them for overtaking too, you know when you just can't see enough to commit. The one behind would be like "is there anything coming?" and the response would come from the one who's just taken the next vehicle "I'd leave it, the corner tightens up" or "you are good, theres nothing coming", more often than not the one in front, either said "theres nothing coming" before being asked or (for a myriad reasons) wasn't willing to make the decision and there would be a long silence (always air on the side of caution) but when it worked it was great thinking, that car must think I'm totally off my nut overtaking round that corner not knowing whats coming!

Back
Top Bottom