Late Wander (26, evening??) 27 & 28 October

Clocks change (fall bak) in France and England simultaneously. You seem to have deducted two hours.

We arrive back at 17:55

Long day indeed :D

:beerjug:

Clocks change in France and England.

We arrive back at 17:55

Long day indeed :D

:beerjug:

Didn't realise they changed in France too, I did say it had been a long day :rolleyes:

It will be a long day for some, I have another 240 miles from Folkestone :D

Didn't realise they changed in France too, I did say it had been a long day :rolleyes:

It will be a long day for some, I have another 240 miles from Folkestone :D

Ahh but do they change at exactly the same time as us or do they change one hour earlier ' cos they are one hour ahead, which means for an instant and I mean an instant we could be at exactly the same time or two hours apart.

Roll on friday - I can see some interesting discussions in between the beer:beer:

To make matters potentially more confusing we are spending the night in Luxembourg. Thankfully, like France their clocks also fall back one hour too. They fall back at 03:00 local time on Sunday morning, as do the clocks in France. Phew, France and Luxembourg are always on the same time as each other.

The UK's change too but at 02:00 local time, which is already one hour behind both Luxembourg and France. Thus preserving the steady equilibrium of life in all its many facets and wonders.

I can remember not so long ago when France and the rest of mainland Europe moved their clocks back a week or two earlier than us in the UK. For two or so happy weeks we shared the same time. Nobody died, cows were still milked, children were not mowed down in their hundreds going to school..... But to appease the Scots we fell back later, putting us back out of step. Come 2014 this nonsense can be sorted out once and for all.

Now a more pressing question: What time do the bars open and is that local or UK time?

To make matters potentially more confusing we are spending the night in Luxembourg. Thankfully, like France their clocks also fall back one hour too. They fall back at 03:00 local time on Sunday morning, as do the clocks in France. Phew, France and Luxembourg are always on the same time as each other.

The UK's change too but at 02:00 local time, which is already one hour behind both Luxembourg and France. Thus preserving the steady equilibrium of life in all its many facets and wonders.

I can remember not so long ago when France and the rest of mainland Europe moved their clocks back a week or two earlier than us in the UK. For two or so happy weeks we shared the same time. Nobody died, cows were still milked, children were not mowed down in their hundreds going to school..... But to appease the Scots we fell back later, putting us back out of step. Come 2014 this nonsense can be sorted out once and for all.

Now a more pressing question: What time do the bars open and is that local or UK time?

So if you were catching a train in Luxembourg at 02:30 on Sunday morning would that be at the first time it was 02:30 or could you wait an hour and catch the same train when the clock again reaches 02:30 and more so could you claim compensation if you missed it.

Regarding the nosebag.......

Hi Richard,

By my estimate it'll be around 21.15hrs on the Friday night by the time we've checked into the hotel, gotten changed and hit the road seeking grub.

You've done the Friday night trips before - is this correct? Will they still be serving up food at this time to desperados like us?

Andy :confused:

Hi Andy,

The 18:36 train arrives in France at 20:11 local time. If we add 10 minutes for fiddling about with the doors, cars getting off etc it will be 20:20. Thirty minutes or there abouts to the hotel, 20:50. A quick in and out, 21:10 or thereabouts.... So 21:30 is as good an estimation as any.

We should find something........ :eek: I am trying to find the telephone number of the restaurant, pizza place, that I have used before. If I can I will try to book us a table at 21:30.

If not, we will have to starve.... :D

I think we will be alright. :thumb2

The alternative will be to arrive at St Omer, sling the bikes onto the main square, dive into a pizza place in our bike gear, sit down, scoff the grub and then check-in. That will work, too.

All part of the fun.

There is always somewhere

may not be top notch
may not be cheap

but there is always somewhere

We could do a mucky dee in Blighty and then a hearty breakfast the following morning as a very last resort

or we could do as the unfortunate people in the plane crash in the Andes - look for the weakest member of the group and eat him - unless of course that is me in which case a packet of crisps will do.

Hi Andy,

The 18:36 train arrives in France at 20:11 local time. If we add 10 minutes for fiddling about with the doors, cars getting off etc it will be 20:20. Thirty minutes or there abouts to the hotel, 20:50. A quick in and out, 21:10 or thereabouts.... So 21:30 is as good an estimation as any.

We should find something........ :eek: I am trying to find the telephone number of the restaurant, pizza place, that I have used before. If I can I will try to book us a table at 21:30.

If not, we will have to starve.... :D

I think we will be alright. :thumb2

The alternative will be to arrive at St Omer, sling the bikes onto the main square, dive into a pizza place in our bike gear, sit down, scoff the grub and then check-in. That will work, too.

All part of the fun.

You adventure biker you :D

Shouldn't you be worrying about your tricycle?

Just wondering ....

what if you bumped into someone you knew on the train or at St Omer who happens to be going to Viaden as well :augie

Maybe staying at the same hotels :augie

Riding the same route :augie

Just wondering ....

That's not unusual.

Just wondering ....

what if you bumped into someone you knew on the train or at St Omer who happens to be going to Viaden as well :augie

Maybe staying at the same hotels :augie

Riding the same route :augie

Depending on who it is I might think myself triply blessed....... or cursed.

I think we will be alright.

You will be fine, the Square is awash with restaurants, there are more options in the side streets and I believe the hotel caters for guests until at least 10 pm.

Enjoy your trip.:thumb

You will be fine, the Square is awash with restaurants, there are more options in the side streets and I believe the hotel caters for guests until at least 10 pm.

Yup, I've been there lots of times and wasn't that fussed :thumb2

Looks like my clients will both be going back home just after lunch.

With luck I will be able to make a reasonably early departure. See you all at the passenger centre thing in good time for the train. If we are by chance all their earlier and all together let's go.

Richard

PS Looks like it's chilly over night in Vianden, too.

Back
Top Bottom