Green laning in the NW (England)

Kaze

Reaction score
Now I've picked up my new 8GS and I'm halfway through the running in, thoughts are now turning towards doing a spot of green-laning.

Any recommendations especially handy to NW would be appreciated. Its been quite a few years since I've done any serious off-road so will be looking at easing back in.

I'd be very interested in hearing about your green lane experiences, route info, whether it's worth affiliating with any groups/associations etc. Please feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable replying on the open forum.

There are quite a few of us who go laning on a regular basis. Keep an eye on the forum and be honest about your experience/ability when replying to any of the runs that are posted. Some of them can be a little on the "extreme" side, but there are some good days out to be had.
Welcome by the way.
Mark

thanks Mark

I'll keep my eye on those, but good advice I've no intention of jumping in at the deep end just yet:thumb

I am going to keep a eye on this tread as I am from Liverpool and would love to try some green lane'ing on my Dakar

Join the TRF, you'll get plenty of advice on where to legally ride, and access to their maps. Theres a group that meet at the BlacK Bull in Mawdesley near Rufford, not too far from the liverpool area.
A nice easy trail is the Salter Fell road in Bowland starts near to Slaidburn, it a few miles long, it's a nice route for a novice or someone who's a bit rusty, and a pleasant ride to get there as well.

Thanks Fatal :thumb appreciated!

Probably going to go down the TRF route, Mawdesley's fairly handy so that could work well.

A nice easy trail is the Salter Fell road in Bowland starts near to Slaidburn, it a few miles long, it's a nice route for a novice or someone who's a bit rusty, and a pleasant ride to get there as well.

Went to the start of the road near to Slaidburn on Sunday and at the gate it had a sign on a pole.

Had a look here for it: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/Signsandmarkings/index.htm under "Signs giving orders" and it's sort of there :eek:

The sign near Slaidburn only had the car on it, so, is it a legal sign, as it's not in the Highway Code, and does the lack of motorbike on the sign allow you to go on it, or is the fact the sign is not correct, immaterial ie no motorised vehicles at all?

Some green lanes are subject to traffic regulations orders (TRO).. some apply to car and motorbikes, some apply only to cars, some are temporary and some are permanent. Trail riders fellowship (TRF) groups normally have the latest information on TROs. You can find the appropiate TRF group for the area on this website: http://www.trf.org.uk/groups.php and ask if it's legal to ride on tha lane.

Cheers!

Join your local TRF group and they will help you learn your local lanes which are legal and easy enough to do on a GS and which ones to stay clear of on a GS :thumb

North Wales trail ride... A Sunday of mud!

Right, I've read enough.....

Timpo will be leading a GS-able trail ride on Sunday 30th November.
The route will be testing in plces due to the wet conditions.
A minimum of a TKC80/MT21 tyre is required.
The ride is open to 600cc plus bikes.
The start point RV will be in Mold and the timing should give us 8 hours of trails in that area.
Some advice and help can be given to the lesser skilled rider.

Please put your name in to the thread below, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165773

Timpo.

The sign near Slaidburn only had the car on it, so, is it a legal sign, as it's not in the Highway Code, and does the lack of motorbike on the sign allow you to go on it, or is the fact the sign is not correct, immaterial ie no motorised vehicles at all?
John the Highway Code is not the law.
Are you familiar with Health and Safety legislation at all?
The Health and Safety Executive produce many COPs, Codes Of best Practice publications. Basically if you follow the guidelines within you will stay within the law, but they aren't law and do not include everything, just the main points.

The HWC is the same sort of thing for road traffic law.
The actual laws it covers are listed here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069869
one of which is The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm

You will find the sign here:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/02311339.gif

So to answer your questions, it is perfectly legal as it is in the relevant law, but not the HWC, and it is correct (as you have seen on Trailwise) as the lane is TRO to all vehicles except solo motorcycles.

HTH.

See what you mean, the wording "legal sign" wasn't the best :( not sure what would be better wording for signs in that are or not in the HWC? Would it not be easier if all signs were in there, and therefore any sign which is not could be ignored. I'm thinking of the new housing area ones in that respect.

In some ways in Germany it's easier, the HWC is the law, and therefore if there's an "accident" any transgression of one of its codes means the person is in the wrong, and therefore the insurance claims can be easier to sort out. Thankfully never had to go there, and I can imagine what happens if there's two transgressions, maybe knock for kncok on the insurance and both drivers are prosecuted :nenau

Would it not be easier if all signs were in there, and therefore any sign which is not could be ignored.
No, because it is just a handy pocket guide to the law, not the law.
If it contained everything it would be many thousands of pages.
They have to draw the line somewhere, and including the most common signs is where it is currently at.
The do however produce this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Know-Traffic-Signs-Driving-Skills/dp/0115528555

In some ways in Germany it's easier, the HWC is the law, and therefore if there's an "accident" any transgression of one of its codes means the person is in the wrong, and therefore the insurance claims can be easier to sort out.
That is pretty much the case in the UK.
Things are confused slightly with the differences in statute and common law.

The "rules" in the HWC use the words should and must. If it's should, its advice, if it's must it is laid down in law.
Ignore must and you are in the wrong in statute law, no two ways about it.
Ignore should and you can be shown to be apportioned the greater part of the blame in common law, tho possibly haven't broken a statute law.

A nice easy trail is the Salter Fell road in Bowland starts near to Slaidburn, it a few miles long, it's a nice route for a novice or someone who's a bit rusty, and a pleasant ride to get there as well

It is a nice route to start with

485698947_6W6ey-L.jpg

with great views

485698978_NAr3A-L.jpg

until you forget to turn off the traction control whilst driving uphill on boulders over loose sand and gravel!

485698989_Z9VnW-L.jpg

That's the bit that skuppered me:blast, tried to get up the grassy bit but couldn't get any traction, going to have to change to TKC's and have another go

A nice easy trail is the Salter Fell road in Bowland starts near to Slaidburn, it a few miles long, it's a nice route for a novice or someone who's a bit rusty, and a pleasant ride to get there as well

until you forget to turn off the traction control whilst driving uphill on boulders over loose sand and gravel!

485698989_Z9VnW-L.jpg

I'm guessing you went West to East, ie started at the Slaidburn end?

I'm guessing you went West to East, ie started at the Slaidburn end?

Yup.

Once I'd stopped on the uphill I got the bike turned round and mounted up to ride down again, hit a big stone and took a tumble. Took twenty minutes of grunting to get the bike back upright and wheeled it slowly down whilst supporting it.

So, lessons learned

1) Put on the TKC's that are stuck up in the rafters of the shed

2) Turn off the blasted traction control

3) Always ride with someone else. I could easily have got stuck under the bike, and I don't think many peolpe come along that track.

So, anyone up for bimble anytime?

Stu

I lead a few mates around a nice circuit that included Salter Fell & a few other, tricky little lanes. It starts in Longridge & takes about 4hrs at a leisurely pace. Some of the trails are really tucked away, but here's the Mapsource file for anyone who's interested.

Attachments

• Salter Fell Trail Route.gdb
    37 KB · Views: 401
I lead a few mates around a nice circuit that included Salter Fell & a few other, tricky little lanes. It starts in Longridge & takes about 4hrs at a leisurely pace. Some of the trails are really tucked away, but here's the Mapsource file for anyone who's interested.

Many thanks for that Paul, it's been 29 years since I last did Salter Fell (in a Land Rover) I'm going to give your route a try soon :thumb
Andy.

Back
Top Bottom