1250 Video

I hope Honda don’t fuck with the AT/ATAS to tempt GS owners .

The latest version is brilliant. Just missing cruise control .
The ATAS has more than enough poke, great comfort , 280 mile range to reserve and the finish is like BMs were 20 years ago .

I really don’t want semi active suspension and other crap , ta anyway .

I’m sure the new 1250 will delight many current GS owners who like such bikes.

But we all have a choice .

I thought the day would never come. But here goes:
Well said :beerjug:

Belonging to the large group of owners of more than one bike, some times I also appreciate the simplicity of a more basic bike. In a head to head compareson test my 1200 GSA LC is better than my F800 GS in every way. But every time that I ride my 800 it makes me smile. Its lower weight, narrow body (I do not use cases) and all in all basic simplicity brings up a good feeling when riding it.
Even if the GSA is a super bike it would be a great loss to us all if all others tried to copy it merely to get a peace of the cake.

I thought the day would never come. But here goes:
Well said :beerjug:

Belonging to the large group of owners of more than one bike, some times I also appreciate the simplicity of a more basic bike. In a head to head compareson test my 1200 GSA LC is better than my F800 GS in every way. But every time that I ride my 800 it makes me smile. Its lower weight, narrow body (I do not use cases) and all in all basic simplicity brings up a good feeling when riding it.
Even if the GSA is a super bike it would be a great loss to us all if all others tried to copy it merely to get a peace of the cake.

I love my 800GS too , actually.

I wasn't suggesting Honda changed the current AT, but that they introduce a more road biased sister bike to better compete with the GS, a bit like Triumph with their XC and XR ranges.

Why would it be so wrong to have more real competition for the GS? BMW have an unhealthy dominance in this market at the moment. A bit more competition might concentrate minds a little more on some of the quality/reliabilty issues!

I wasn't suggesting Honda changed the current AT, but that they introduce a more road biased sister bike to better compete with the GS, a bit like Triumph with their XC and XR ranges.

Why would it be so wrong to have more real competition for the GS? BMW have an unhealthy dominance in this market at the moment. A bit more competition might concentrate minds a little more on some of the quality/reliabilty issues!

Good point , but personally I see the current AT/ATAS as perfectly road-biased.

I owned the 2016 AT and toured all over Europe with it solo/two up and now have the ATAS which I’ve also toured two up.

I really can’t see why people bang on about needing tubeless wheels ? But then again I’ve not had a puncture .

And I love the 21/18 wheels so would probably look past a version with naff cast wheels and smaller wider rims.

Good point , but personally I see the current AT/ATAS as perfectly road-biased.

I owned the 2016 AT and toured all over Europe with it solo/two up and now have the ATAS which I’ve also toured two up.

I really can’t see why people bang on about needing tubeless wheels ? But then again I’ve not had a puncture .

And I love the 21/18 wheels so would probably look past a version with naff cast wheels and smaller wider rims.

That's fair enough and good to hear that it copes well two-up as some reviews were a little negative on that point. I've never even tested the AT, so have no first hand experience, though we sat on one at the NEC last year. I liked it, but my wife was not so keen. However, the tubed tyres were a showstopper for me, as however unlikely it might be, I would never forgive myself if a blowout at speed caused an accident with my wife on board.

That's fair enough and good to hear that it copes well two-up as some reviews were a little negative on that point. I've never even tested the AT, so have no first hand experience, though we sat on one at the NEC last year. I liked it, but my wife was not so keen. However, the tubed tyres were a showstopper for me, as however unlikely it might be, I would never forgive myself if a blowout at speed caused an accident with my wife on board.

Really ?? More chance of exploding GS wheels/spokes than a tube popping !! Take the car to be sure if I were you !! 🤪

Really ?? More chance of exploding GS wheels/spokes than a tube popping !! Take the car to be sure if I were you !! 🤪

I went for cast wheels so have avoided the spokes fiasco. Everyone's risk threshold is different, though I would concede that a sudden deflation with modern tubed tyres and rims is pretty unlikely.

Tomorrow we know the rest of the story.
World debut will be Monday 9-17 20:00 central european time :thumby:
Only specs really open are if they done some chanes to the geometry of the frame,colors and if 17" cast wheels finally become a factory-option for people who chase twisty tarmac 99% of the time !?
The count-down is running...:thumby:
As for 136 hp at 7750 rpm with a 9000 rpm red-line that tells me a 150 hp R-S and/or R-XR is coming for 2020...:D

Tubes are preferred if you run the risk of damaging the rim. Most spoked wheels use tubes merely because the spokes enters the rim in center of the rim, and making it leak-proof for use of tubeless tire is a challenge.

The nasty bit with tubes are that the tire has to come off to fix a leak. However, the major drawback is the safety aspect. If you get a nail in a tubeless tire, the rubber will kling to the nail, and the leak will be very slow, giving the rider plenty of time to stop the bike in a controlled manner.
If a nail hits a tubed tire, the tube will not kling to the nail, and it leaks much faster. And the most nasty part is that when the pressure in the tire get low, acceleration or braking may make the tire spin on the rim. This rips of the valve stem and the wheel goes empty in no time. The rider runs the risk of total loss of control of the bike before he manage to stop it.

In my garage, two of my bikes have tubed tires. It does not worry me, but I pay much more attention to the condition of the tire and checking the air pressure frequently.

I have experienced a puncture on a tubed tire once where the tire slipped on the rim and I was all over the road. Luckily it happened at low speed on a road with hardly any traffic.

Sorry for the off topic…
It will happen again :hippy

Back
Top Bottom