BMW Off Road Skills course

Joe narvey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I did the level 1 and level 2 courses last weekend. Can't recommend them enough. They've introduced new tracks and features opening up new terrain.

There is a clear step-up between the 2 levels with level 2 being the application of skills learned in level 1 plus intense coverage of ruts, cambers and hill control with turns.

I've done level 1 before but it was well worth doing it again as I hadn't had occasion since the last time to ride without hands on bars, turn in very tight boxes, stall half way up hills,etc.

Instructors are brilliant, syllabus well structured with logical progression and consolidation.

Couldn't agree more. Roynie and I have done Level 1 twice (2009 & 2014) and the one-dayAdventure Travel course, which covers towing, freeing a bike from deep sand/mud, and other useful 'get out of jail' type manoeuvres. Apart from improving our riding skills immeasurably, it's just great craic and I'm sure we'll be back for another course at some point (though I don't know whether I'm brave enough for Level 2).

I'm booked to do Level 2 in August. Had to cancel it twice because of breakages.

I'm booked to do Level 2 in August. Had to cancel it twice because of breakages.
The momentum skill is used to stream people into groups including who is Level 2 and who is level 3 or indeed level 1.

You might want to practice the tight circle turning and stopping at the peak of a hill ascent!

The momentum skill is used to stream people into groups including who is Level 2 and who is level 3 or indeed level 1.

You might want to practice the tight circle turning and stopping at the peak of a hill ascent!
Ah, yes ... the momentum exercise. I had no trouble with it. Unfortunately, Roynie let his weight slip back to the point that he no longer had a proper grip of his brake and clutch levers so, instead of stopping at the summit, he accidentally twisted the throttle ... and took flight! We all applauded. The landing should have been an innocuous slide on fine shingle but the tyres of the Sertao bit and the bike bounced backwards onto his leg, breaking his fibula. Ouch!

Attachments

• Oooops(900).jpg
    Oooops(900).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,469
We had a student brake his leg in 2 places on level 1. Not my group but we were told he was a GP who has just managed to convince wife he could have a bike.

Ah, yes ... the momentum exercise. I had no trouble with it. Unfortunately, Roynie let his weight slip back to the point that he no longer had a proper grip of his brake and clutch levers so, instead of stopping at the summit, he accidentally twisted the throttle ... and took flight! We all applauded. The landing should have been an innocuous slide on fine shingle but the tyres of the Sertao bit and the bike bounced backwards onto his leg, breaking his fibula. Ouch!
Superb cartoon. In my case I'm be underneath it.

Hi all...I'm new here and absolutely loving the site. I am booked in this weekend for my first one in Wales with Simon Pavey and really looking forward to it...also on the hunt for a 1200 GS after having enough of my Hayabusa, good decision or not??

Hi all...I'm new here and absolutely loving the site. I am booked in this weekend for my first one in Wales with Simon Pavey and really looking forward to it...also on the hunt for a 1200 GS after having enough of my Hayabusa, good decision or not??

I see you tomorrow then?!

Just seen this. I'm on the Level one course tomorrow and Saturday. Very much looking forward to it! In case the 2 guys posting above are on the same course I'll be on one of the 650's (same bike that I own) so might see you there.

Wow...what a weekend!! I did the Adventure Riding course and would highly recommend! Came back on Sunday and picked up my first 1200 GS :D

Wow...what a weekend!! I did the Adventure Riding course and would highly recommend! Came back on Sunday and picked up my first 1200 GS :D

totally agree.
I was on Level 1 and can only recommend it.

Which GS did you get in the end?
Any pics?

BMW ORS.......... Loved it!

Great course!

A mate and I did the Adventure Maintenance followed by the Level 1 on 22/23/24 September.

The instructors were excellent, they had a really well structured approach to teaching techniques, allowing time to practice them and for it to sink in before moving to the next thing. Loved doing some of the control stuff on Day 1, particularly locking up the front wheel which was great fun! The second day was all concentrated around the trails, and the best bit for me was doing the 'hill recovery' where we had to stop half way up a steep/slippery hill, turn the bike round and ride back down.

Highly recommended, and am planning to do Level 2 and 3 next year!!!!! :thumby:

If you factor in the sheer quality of the instructors ; ( Gywnne, Young Pavey, young Northover etc ) ...

and no fee for dropping/breaking the bikes, it's amazing they can offer it for the price.

The only comment I'd make; is the R1200GS/GSA isn't really a suitable bike for off road riding ...but there you go ! It's all about marketing/image I guess?

Have fun. You will imho.

If you factor in the sheer quality of the instructors ; ( Gywnne, Young Pavey, even younger Northover etc ) ...

and no fee for dropping/breaking the bikes, it's amazing they can offer it for the price.

The only comment I'd make; is the R1200GS/GSA isnt really a suitable bike for off road riding ...but there you go ! It's all about marketing/image i guess? Have fun.

Agree on the quality and thus price tag.
Disagree about the bike: the 1200 was the bike for me. takes anything that's thrown at it and more. But then again I guess it also depends of what kind of off roading one does. For me it's about the fact that one bike does it all: commuting, touring, some lanes..

Anyone thinking of doing the bmw ORS, don't be put off by the 1200.

but as stuartw said: have fun !

Caesi, I agree.... I didn't really explain myself very well! ( not for the 1st time)

From the BMW offerings; the 1200 was by far the best. More fun and (surprisingly) easier to ride than the 650 single or 800 twin.
(If you are booking the course, do pay the extra £40ish for the 1200 ( even if you are more familiar with the 650/800)

However; I still can't reconcile that particular bike, as an off-road tool. I think a smaller KTM Husky Beta Honda KLR DR etc would be better!

Back
Top Bottom