Nordkapp via Adversity....

2 weeks sounds good. Any chance you might be able to hold off until 2019?

My original idea was to do maybe two weeks in the Balkerns/Eastern Europe next year (I managed a 10 ten trip traveling to and back from Bosnia in 2012) but this thread got me thinking about Scandinavia again.

Norway in 2019 instead could definitely be a plan mind if you fancy it. :thumb2

Thanks for a great report Barak. I’m thinking of a trip next Sep doing pretty much the same as you - but hopefully without any major failures to bugger things up. How did you book the huttes? Is is there a website you’d recommend or did you just hunt down places as you planned the route?

Still quite an achievement folks, Well done both of you.

Pisser about the F/D and the insurance crap. But you've soldiered on regardless.

Considerate of you to toast Trickytree too.

Nordkapp is on my list too.:beerjug:

Thanks for a great report Barak. I’m thinking of a trip next Sep doing pretty much the same as you - but hopefully without any major failures to bugger things up. How did you book the huttes? Is is there a website you’d recommend or did you just hunt down places as you planned the route?

Thanks for the comments. It's pretty easy to find huttes as pretty much all campsites have available. The problem we found is the tourist season in Norway is quite short and lots of campsites close at the end of August. Most of the hytte on the way back we booked through Booking.com as were unsure where we needed to stop. I'm happy to share details of the camps we used if they fit in with your route.

My original idea was to do maybe two weeks in the Balkerns/Eastern Europe next year (I managed a 10 ten trip traveling to and back from Bosnia in 2012) but this thread got me thinking about Scandinavia again.

Norway in 2019 instead could definitely be a plan mind if you fancy it. :thumb2

I certainly do. That would give me chance to get some leave booked and get my pass stamped.

Great write up. I enjoyed that. Well done and thanks for posting.
Really enjoyed your write up it bought back many happy memories in June we did a 5664 mile from home near Heathrow to Nordkapp and back - week to get there and 2 weeks home
I recognised lots of your pics - in 2010 we did another 5538 mile almost to Nordkapp but I bottled it cos I thought I didn't have enough time to get back
One particular pic made me smile - this one - oddly enough I really loved that little cabin especially the inside
At least two GSers have stayed there
d648fc6f19c7be1fa366c64f070c71ce.jpg
2ef4f643a12cc6a16553482a08f1346c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed your write up it bought back many happy memories in June we did a 5664 mile from home near Heathrow to Nordkapp and back - week to get there and 2 weeks home
I recognised lots of your pics - in 2010 we did another 5538 mile almost to Nordkapp but I bottled it cos I thought I didn't have enough time to get back
One particular pic made me smile - this one - oddly enough I really loved that little cabin especially the inside
At least two GSers have stayed there
d648fc6f19c7be1fa366c64f070c71ce.jpg
2ef4f643a12cc6a16553482a08f1346c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the comments..... what a coincidence over the cabin - I'll admit by the time we got to Nyheim we both quite cold, so that warm little cabin was a godsend. Looks like you also had good weather like us at Nordkapp - we were very lucky considering some of the other ride reports I've seen. :beerjug:

Thanks for posting this excellent RR; you two are an example to us all:

Optimistic, 'can do attitude', sense of humor, pragmatic, and practical.

:beerjug:

Nordkapp

Excellent report, I did the same trip in 2008, enjoyed Norway so much I went back two months later! I went up to The Lofoten Islands. We reached Nordkapp on the 13th of June 2008. We had a very heavy snow storm 150 miles south of Nordkapp!! This made riding conditions very dangerous! In fact, it was so bad we seriously thought about pitching our tent and weather out the storm. We didn't and after 80 miles we had dry roads! Temperature at Nordkapp was 0c, the weathe centre there said the windchill was -27c !!! It was incredibly cold, we stayed in a cabin that night!! We had camped all the way up, most of it wild camping. Our next night, we were in Northern Finland, again in a cabin! The cabin was on the side of a lake, we walked onto the lake! The cabin owner said, there's no chance of the ice breaking, he was right, it was so cold, this was the 14th of June!!! Norway is fantastic for biking, don't let the expensive label put anyone off, over the course of two - three weeks when camping or using cabins, isn't too bad! I'm definitely going back, I was hoping to get there this year!

When is the best time to go, bearing in mind snow and blocked roads. I fancy going , but hate camping.

Excellent report, I did the same trip in 2008, enjoyed Norway so much I went back two months later! I went up to The Lofoten Islands. We reached Nordkapp on the 13th of June 2008. We had a very heavy snow storm 150 miles south of Nordkapp!! This made riding conditions very dangerous! In fact, it was so bad we seriously thought about pitching our tent and weather out the storm. We didn't and after 80 miles we had dry roads! Temperature at Nordkapp was 0c, the weathe centre there said the windchill was -27c !!! It was incredibly cold, we stayed in a cabin that night!! We had camped all the way up, most of it wild camping. Our next night, we were in Northern Finland, again in a cabin! The cabin was on the side of a lake, we walked onto the lake! The cabin owner said, there's no chance of the ice breaking, he was right, it was so cold, this was the 14th of June!!! Norway is fantastic for biking, don't let the expensive label put anyone off, over the course of two - three weeks when camping or using cabins, isn't too bad! I'm definitely going back, I was hoping to get there this year!

Many thanks for the comments - sounds like you had one hell of trip in 08. Sounds like your about due another visit....:thumb

When is the best time to go, bearing in mind snow and blocked roads. I fancy going , but hate camping.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for picking the best weather for Nordkapp - being that far North its a bit of a lottery. We were certainly lucky in September than people in June/July. There were also far fewer tourists so the roads were pretty much empty.

As to camping you don't need to take a tent as there are lots of places offering huttes from the basic shed with a bed, to cabin with all the amenities. :thumby:

I have been five times to Norway and think the best time to go is the last two weeks in May
to the first two weeks in June, 24 hour daylight,no mozzies but not many
people so you can always get a cabin.
Also the waterfalls are in full flow after the spring melt..plus the ferry prices are much
cheaper. I take vestry army meals as there it is not always possible to get a meal at tea
time. The weather is a gamble at any time of year though ;)

Enjoyed the report Barrak, makes me want to set again off now:bounce1

Hi Barak,
Thanks for a great write-up.
I rode up to the Nordkapp in August. Actually started on the 1st and followed the same route up via Stockholm and Umea. I stayed most of the time in Hostels, which I booked about two days in advance via Hostelling International. Cheapest way I could find with one or two exceptions. Considering your experiences I was lucky with the weather, cold up the top but otherwise dry. That was until I came back via Finland.
I know where all their million or so lakes get their water. Rain like you've never seen it.
Came home via the Baltic States and Poland.
Glad you got home safely.

Back
Top Bottom