Round 3: Ramble around Iberia

Alright.. I'm going in.. wish me luck.

Roger and out :D

And now…by popular demand.. direct from Cantabria.. It's evening menu LIVE!

Alright, I admit it. I wimped out, to a fair degree anyway. But I can't let all of the work over the past few weeks go and return this to the lardarse chronicles. I went through the menu and asked the waitress that the portions were not too big and was advised accordingly. If it is on my plate I have so, so much trouble in leaving anything. I put that down to conditioning by the family as a child… and also as an adult being a chubby so and so who just loves his food.

I got the mixed starter. Hedging bets somewhat that. And I actually left some. Shame on me eh..

8120113289_cced162ccb_c.jpg

Of course it isn't all dull. A very cheeky bottle of red. Delightful, and not half the price of some of the stuff on the card :eek

8120102211_3b0732cb15_c.jpg

Pork Steak for me.. Splendido.

8120111183_e8cf933b44_c.jpg

Ooh a cheeky little tart. Lemon tart. So zingy it had a degree in zingyness from the University of Zing.

8120108733_7f563f1823_c.jpg

Even the after dinner coffee comes with midget gems.

8120106823_11653c18c5_c.jpg

Some sort of Bailey's doo dah..

8120117282_b163b7f352_c.jpg

This place is… ow yoo sey.. 'se bollocks of se dog'

Have abandoned the dregs of the vino reddo as I'm feeling three parts Oliver Twist. Retiring to the lounge for after dinner drinks and decompression.. If I don't report in within 24 hours somebody phone an ambulance..

Oh.. And Hotel del Oso.. :thumb

Message ends.

Judging by the lack of responses, I dont think this lot are impressed at your attempts to be healthy.:comfort Now go back down to the restaurant and do it properly this time.:D:thumb

Right, you've kept me from my work for long enuff!! Good stuff this, very envious. I will be following in your steps as it were one day. :thumb2

Cosgaya to Santander

I had a good walk late on last night to help digest my modest dinner. Slept very well… like I'd done 12 rounds with Audley Harrison.

Got up to a lovely view from the room.

8132116605_b4cf71500c_c.jpg

I skip breakfast as I still feel about last night and pack up. It is sad to leave the Hotel del Oso after such a brief stop. One of the nicest places I think I've ever stayed at; not flashy but classy and really first rate service. Definitely a place I'd want to come back to for longer.

It's a lovely morning to ride. Glorious sunshine; a little chill in the air and some mellow tunes played along. I don't take the fastest route; it's only 80 or so miles to do so its an opportunity to retrace some steps on a lovely little east-west series of mountain roads I took back earlier in the ramble.

8132114563_b808300349_c.jpg

Go careful now.. for here there be wiggly bits..

8132138572_1f82c09be1_c.jpg

It is totally deserted here. I'm minded of riding in England's lake district in the summer now... albeit but with zero traffic. Beautiful.

8132136282_d0daf83275_c.jpg

A moment to talk about the bike: Touch wood, it's riding absolutely wonderfully; to me, as crisp as a brand new machine. As many GS folk know well it's all very well at home in the twisty mountain roads, riding on that lovely torque and going very nicely.

Passing the passes..

8132133940_bc078ec5cf_c.jpg

Oh and the views!

8132125967_e435ef21ca_c.jpg

Failed arty photo attempt..

8132105925_8e103e7032_c.jpg

A little town. I stop at a Supermarket. It must be the world's smallest supermarket. So small that I can barely move down the aisles. There are a few people shopping and moving around is like a puzzle. Worthy of something the Japanese would create and be proud of. Still, there's Asturian Cider to be purchased.. Oh, and why not a bottle of Rioja.. and a small matter of six cans of Damm Double Malta beer.
They're no longer panniers.. They're Oddbins :D

A couple of locals say hello and approve of the bike. Cool. At which point I break my sunglasses. Not cool. We have a laugh. I suppose if I'm going to break them, this will be the time to do it. Tank bag contains pair of reserve sun specs. That's pair 2 of 3, from the inventory of a clumsy git.

Back to the road. Lovely going. So yes. Those of you who've 'done' Spain will be aware of the significance of Santander. Alas to the port, and out to sea, bound for dear old blighty.. :(

Boo. It's been great, but it is time to head back for a bit. Sigh.

Finding the ferry in Santander is very, very easy. And boarding is really simple. From stopping at check in to getting on to the boat was probably just over fifteen minutes and minimal fuss.

Here we are..

8132123881_84b3ae06d4_c.jpg

And on we go..

8132121887_f45519464b_c.jpg

There are a dozen or so bikes making the crossing. Four GS's, one of those K1300S starships in a discreet orange colour, two Pan Europeans, a Triumph that looks like its being held together with sticky tape, and a few cruisers containing patch clad leather peeps.

Getting sorted on the ferry is smooth bar some tool on a Massey Ferguson-Davidson :D .. Who decides to give it the beans and rev it inside the boat. It's already super loud without being stuck inside a big metal box, so now it's extra fecking noisy and a bloody nuisance. One of the deck hands looks ready to get very upset, but at this point we're ushered down a ramp to where the bikes will reside overnight.

The ferry, the Brittany Cap Finistere is OK, nothing particularly special. It was formerly a Superfast line ship that bobbed about out in the Adriatic. There are still giveaway stickers in greek in the cabin bathroom and a lot of the signs on the boat have the old square squiggle triangle. One thing it is… is expensive. If you want to eat and drink well bring your own, or make sure you're holding a few bob, or you'll be disappointed.

The 'duty free' kind of vexes me. I have the fancies for a nice wee scotch to take home, but a bottle of Old Poultney is thirty quid? Everything seems very pricey so I find it a little bit strange. In fact I think most stuff was cheaper in that little village microsupermarket in Spain earlier, but when I walk around its full of people grabbing stuff, so it can't be that bad now can it.

I get settled in the cabin and move to the bar to have a look at the pictures from the morning. It's about an hour from the off, and the bar is quite busy, aside two window groups of seats adjacent to a group of four sat centrally. Strange they should be free, but convenient, so I take one of the seats and break out the laptop. All very good. Of course, I soon discover why the seats are free; the one guy in the group is one of four is one of the loudest, and most boring people there must be on the planet. His line of patter is like Vogon Poetry. Alright, hands up, I mean, I'm no Peter Ustinov, and people in glass houses and all that, but this guy is incredible. I clock the face of one of the people with him. He looks white with terror. I actually don't even think the two couples are together.. The recipients of this dull diatribe look paralysed and unable to move. Awwww… they're being suffocated by good old british good manners. How good it is to be back amongst my fellow countryfolk.

I decide this calls for a drink. I have a pint of French lageur, and a thimble full of cashew nuts. I spent less on a night out in Portugal when I was laying off the ale!

8132143352_185d299335_c.jpg

I can finally take no more of the adjacent noise. A stroll out to the deck is taken to watch Santander disappear in the afternoon sun. Spain really does have everything for someone on a bike.. Especially a GS too. I really can't wait to go back again I'm thinking as we head out.

Nice views of Santander and the coast as we bob out..

8132145578_13bd3acde6_c.jpg

Seeya later Spain :(

8132224027_a61b1dc448_c.jpg

We're buzzed by a light aircraft. I jostle with my phone to try and get a picture before I realise my actual camera is around my neck. Oops.

8132211008_ee8ee2eb1f_c.jpg

The executive decision is taken to bypass dinner. I don't feel worthy of it given the sins of last night. Let's have a snooze in the cabin.

Other than that its a couple of pints late on and a chat with a few peeps about this and that in the bar. All very pleasant. Biscay seems pretty serene tonight, which is a shame for me as I was looking forward to a bit of rock and roll as I always get a good night of zeds after that...

Always a sad day when you have to come home.:tears But, you've probably already got the next trip to look forward to?:beerjug:

:popcorn

'the roooooad is looooooong'

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C1KtScrqtbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:bow

when you get back to a taste of the weather here you will make plans pronto to get going again:D:D:D

Go on Rob.. I dare you to reveal where you're next trip's going to be :D

Sunny Spain?

Tropical Turkey?

Sweltering Sicily?

Oooh.. I can't wait :JB

Bout time he does a tour of the US:thumb

Portsmouth to Southampton

Not quite done yet :aidan

It was fairly rough getting in to the English Channel overnight and the weather has turned for the worse, surprise surprise that eh..

Nearly there, then :(

8137937007_e8eb83ed7a_c.jpg

The scenic splendour of the Isle of Wight. Its f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-… cold!

8137938347_619be038dc_c.jpg

On the way in and no mistaking that we're at home shores..

8137968468_b1e5109053_c.jpg

Saw one of these sinister looking things parked up in the Harbour..

8137939039_288c19425e_c.jpg

Disembarkation is really simple; in short time I'm off the ferry and on to the M271. It is Friday afternoon and most of the South Coast's traffic has taken to the tarmac.

Stop for a splash of petrol. An uncontrollable urge to purchase Monster Munch ensues..

8137969274_eccab8e34d_c.jpg

Not exactly far to go for the weekend.. Destination Southampton. Catching up with friends over a Ruby Murray at a rather nice South Indian Restaurant in town..

8137966294_f857bd93eb_o.jpg

.. And a few welcome home cocktails.. Two for one, happy hour 11pm until 1am? How remarkably civilised..

8137966338_a4fdc8b95b_z.jpg

I say, what a good way to get back...

8137935635_40c9f424d6_o.jpg

Just a little bit worse for wear.. I suppose after two Long Island Ice Teas, two Caiparinhas and two Cosmopolitans.. :ChrisKelly Inevitable :blast

Southampton to Romford

After a leisurely full English breakfast I am refreshed. I hit the road an am on the way home :(

But there's still time to enjoy the South Downs..

8137944177_41c58c738d_c.jpg

The scenic route isn't a bad way to get back to East London.

8137943341_2cdbd0bd8b_c.jpg

Yup.. Definitely England.

8137942443_1a0943c828_c.jpg

Petworth. Fullers Pub. A nice drop of their London Porter? How terribly tempting :beer:

8137975606_a0d5d12842_c.jpg

Woe betide if you don't return your book by the last stamped date around here.. :D

8137946105_2d2630629a_c.jpg

And then I'm home. It's good to be back at HQ.. away from the temptation of all that booze..

8137964976_2c426e4506_c.jpg

A little bit more clean living to come before the next installment. Things to do at home, bike booked in for a service..

Back
Top Bottom