Paint jobs - Please take a look.

Stunning work!!
I'm starting on an old SR500 project soon....
Can you let me know rough cost for painting the tank?
Thanks

Just got my bike back from Chris and I'm over the moon with the result!!

Don't forget it's all paint and no stickers/transfers

e773f50b470729e27b759b42f62827f2.jpg

Sent from this Android pile of shite using Bolloxchat

Just got my bike back from Chris and I'm over the moon with the result!!

Don't forget it's all paint and no stickers/transfers
e773f50b470729e27b759b42f62827f2.jpg

Sent from this Android pile of shite using Bolloxchat

Yup, and I had to tone it down from what he actually asked for :rolleyes:

Feck I look tired!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Grc-jBZ-BwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not surprising working at that speed !

Can I have my Africa Twin done in Rothmans colours please ? I'll drop the bits off tomorrow and pick them up the day after....:D

Not a harley fan but a beautiful paint job, in my opinion it is one of the few paint jobs that would actually benefit from being a satin /semi matte finish

Here's one that slipped through the net when I painted it back in the spring. It's a Zephyr 1100. The bike is now finished and was on display at the Kickback Custom show at Olympia this weekend ..

IMG_2971 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2973 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I'm part way through about 5 paint jobs at the moment and have just finished painting Paul Cardy's Airhead Drag bike (which I'll post up once he's revealed it himself)

Here's a quick one that I slipped in between more time consuming jobs, the tail end was slightly damaged to I suggested doing a bit of camouflage repair ..... this is the result!

IMG_3161 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Is the 'YPVS 350' done ?.....I actually prefer that to the original Blue/White LC.

How good is that one ??......:)

Some of you may have already seen Paul Cardy's thread in the Airhead section documenting the build of his drag bike - The thread is here - http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/411220-AirHead-Drag-Bike/page11

He asked me to paint the nose cone and tank for him, well of course I couldn't resist! :D

Brand new Fibreglass is a real pig to paint, the silicon release agents used to help the item out of it's mould impregnates itself into the gel coat and is notoriously difficult to paint over. However I have an epoxy product which is excellent as a first stage primer.

The fibreglass is very thin in places so manoeuvring it around was fun :D

Once hung up I could apply the first coats of epoxy ..

IMG_2933 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2934 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Now although the epoxy is good, it sometimes gets defeated by really stubborn silicones.

IMG_2938 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2939 by tunneruk, on Flickr

After 24 hours another coat was applied which eventually sealed the nastiness ....

I decided that hanging the panel up was great when painting but a nightmare when trying to work on it elsewhere so I asked for service above and beyond of my trusty work stool

IMG_2940 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Time for high build primer ..

IMG_2943 by tunneruk, on Flickr

After about 750 hours of blocking and sanding it was time to get the first colours on. Painted white first, with the number boards back masked the main blue was applied followed by two coats of lacquer to seal it all in.

IMG_3060 by tunneruk, on Flickr

After 24 hours this then came out for another 750 hours of wet sanding to enable me to base coat the rest of the scheme

IMG_3089 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3091 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3092 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3093 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3094 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3095 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3096 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3098 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Ordinarily this darker coat is dry enough to clear coat over within about 20 minutes but because I was going to mask over it for the next cover I left it in the residual heat of the booth to harden up for 24 hours.

In the mean time I cracked on with the tank.
It's an MZ tank which originally had brackets welded to the sides which were removed. This then required bodywork to make the areas invisible.

IMG_3145 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3147 by tunneruk, on Flickr

A coat of etch primer and a big coat of high build primer followed by flatting and sanding before the main colour and clear coat went on

IMG_3164 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The dark blue base coat was by this time ready for further application so I repeated the process for the red sections and painted it in ..

IMG_3283 by tunneruk, on Flickr

After 3x big coats of HS lacquer here's the big reveal! :blast

IMG_3299 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3313 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3325 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3327 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_3332 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Couldn't resist an arty reflection pic of my Norton ..

IMG_3338 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Thats just fantastic Chris. A thing of beauty to be sure, get some pictures of it on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom