Round The World fuel filter

Lazer Kid

Reaction score
After changing my fuel filter, i decided to inspect the contents of the old one.

This filter was fitted Feb 2006 - it has since had about 1800 liters (26000 miles) of fuel through it. Ranging from UK super market (possibly the worst??), £1.20/l Turkish fuel, Mongolian 92RON, Siberian 92RON, American 96 and back to UK Shell.

I was expecting to find a lot more 'stuff' in the filter....have come to the conclusion that the 'stuff' i was expecting to find does not exist or is still sitting in the bottom of my tank and the bag on the pump inlet does the main filtering!!

The only real thing i found was some flecks of red paint from the inside of the tank and a dark grime on the inside - is the grime what the filter is filtering?

IMG_6643.thumbnail.JPG

Grime on the inside.

IMG_6640.thumbnail.JPG

The contents of the filer dried out onto kitchen roll

IMG_6638.thumbnail.JPG

The filter in its component parts

Hands up anyone who's broken down due to a clogged fuel filter?

Interesting pictures, couldn't blow up the kitchen paper one could you?

The fuel filters used on the bikes are also specified for cars.

Cars use much more fuel than a bike - hence the filter sees more fuel through it in the mileage time period - so you could double the service life fairly happily and b safe. ( fuel injection systems flow more than they use and return excess to the tank - so although you think they've only done x miles - they've flowed a lot more. its a pump output x time calc. )

The only thing that stops people changing the existing filter more often is the installation of the std filter - bettter to mount it outboard to allow easier access.
This brings with it a safety problem that it 'could' possibly be punctured more easily in a big accident. Unlikely, but you never know ?

fuel filtration is in the micron range - not stuff you'd normally see.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/fuel_filters.htm

well my cars use more fuel than my bike so there ya boo sucks. :nenau.

you've obviously got a 'ladies' car :)

Back
Top Bottom