Olympia Phantom 1

Barrmill Biker

Christmas came early for me today I have been thinking of purchasing one of the Arostich suits but came across this instead Olympia Phantom 1 so thought I would give it a go.

As I am a sad git I did my research and found two or three wright ups on it I like what I heard so thought I would treat my self to one.

Outer shell constructed in coated 500 and 2000 denier Dupont Cordura®

Waterproof/breathable membrane adds double waterproof protection

Thermolite® insulated jump suit liner

Airflow ventilation system at chest arms and back

Slide buckle straps at chest pocket vents create adjustable air flow

Double storm placket front closure

Removable CE Motion Flex armor at elbows and shoulders

Removable CE approved Motion Flex articulated back protector

Cool mesh airflow lining

Custom Fit detailing at collar, cuffs, elbows, waist and bottom hem

Removable and adjustable height CE Motion Flex armor at knees Comfort neoprene collar and neck inserts

3M Scotchlite® reflective piping at front, sides and back

Eight storage pockets

Fold up pocket flaps with lock down slide buckle straps create adjustable air flow.

Shoulder to forearm venting system creates maximum airflow.

Once I have given it a proper Scottish weather test (any one who was at Glenclova will no what I mean) I will give a more detailed report on what I think.

But very impressed by the manufacture quality and ease of getting in and out of it

pockets and zips very sturdy inner suit to warm to try just now but appears to be very comfortable. I have gone for the dashing bright yellow version as I do a lot of late dark night miles coming home from work on country roads through the winter with lots of ar*** drivers who keep saying sorry mate dint see you so thought this was the safe option. They also do a charcoal gray version which if I can get this wright you should be able to see in the attached photographs.

Will give more comment once it has been road tested.
P.s. last image not me I dont look that bad At least thats what lippy told me.

Attachments

• Phantom01.jpg
    Phantom01.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 787
  • Phantom_back.jpg
    Phantom_back.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 748
  • Phantom_liner.jpg
    Phantom_liner.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 746
  • Phantom_pewter_Ken.jpg
    Phantom_pewter_Ken.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 825
Phantom 1

Hi guys and girls sorry forgot to put in who what where and when
dam this old age thing.

I bought it from http://store.bobsbmw.com/

and cost all in all shipping vat etc £350

the only thing to watch out for is the size chart
I am 6' 00” and about 14 stone so took some advice
from other's in the States and bout the XL as there
seems to be some differences in the sizing US to Uk
the guys at bobsBMW where very helpful and took about
20days all in all to get here.

If any further info required give me a shout.

VAT has to be paid at this side of the water.:rob:rob

Have one of these on the way, contacted Aerostich but they quoted 6 weeks to make one in an off the peg size which I tought was ridiculous. :(

Olympia get great reviews in the US, lots of comments on the Phantom on Adv Rider.

You can find full details of the Phantom on their website

As I've ordered a suit in Pewter I added one of their high viz vests to the deal for those dark winter mornings.

Interested not sure about the Hi viz little to much, I supose theres being seen and being seen really well and then there's WTF was that just went past.

I'd contacted Olympia but they don't retail direct so they recommended Bobs BMW who they new would ship to the UK.

I dealt with Renee by email who was very helpful.
:thumb

Can give a fuller description when it arrives if anyone wants one.

If you are 6 foot 8 and wiegh 45 stone there is a XXXL on Ebay at the moment which hasn't sold twice before as its just so big. Come to think of it you could tie knots in the arms and legs and use it as a bouncy castle at the Gathering of the Clans...:augie

I like the 600 watt neon yellow one - be seen be safe;)

AndyT

The Olympia kit has been getting very good reviews over here. I've been considering a one-piece kit to supplement my Rev'It gear. I don't know if I can bring myself to drop all that coin for a 'stich or the Rev'It Infinity. The Phantom looks like it might be the right choice. If I pick one up, I'll make sure to review it for all of you.

Bohdan

What's the diff between the Olympia and the Stitch then? :nenau

apart from the deliv. time of course :D

Good question Trev, will try an answer it. :D

Phantom does not have the full length zip that the Stitch uses, it has a zip down the torso to the groin and both legs have zips so you step into it.

Having been practicing this evening I'd say it's not as fast to put on and take off as the Stitch (had one myself and loved it) but the difference is less than a minute.

One of the "complaints" about the Stitch is water penetration at the zips, paticularly at the groin were water can pool. Never found this a regular problem myself but Olympia have all zips covered with velcro flaps which slows things down when putting it on.

Phantom has a seperate removable themal liner which the Stitch doe not, can see this as a benefit in colder weather.

More pockets in the Phantom, all waterproof with zips and flaps.

Lot more ventilation in the Phantom compared to the Stitch even down to full length vents in the sleeves which have fully waterproof zips and flaps.

Stitch has access to the pockets in your trousers which the Phantom does not, a pity as I really liked the option.

Phantom comes with full back and hip armour which is an option on the Stitch.

Phantom costs $449 compared to a Stitch at $747 to which you have to add another $90 for back and hip armour.

Stitch comes in more fitting sizes compared to Phantom as all their range can be ordered in short, regular and long sizes. In addition they can make custom alterations.

Both use the same materials but while the Stitch is made in the US the Phantom is made in China for Olympia which I'd say goes a long way in the difference in price.

Stitch is only available from the company, Olympia sell through retailers.

If Aerostitch hadn't given me a 6 week wait I'd have kept my order, but having seen the Phantom in the flesh I don't see it as a cheap alternative.

Is that enough to be going on with? :D

Is that enough to be going on with? :D

Very comprehensive :cool:

Just curious as to why you got rid of the Stitch - I'm looking at these romper suits as my super cool Rallye2 is just that - super cool :tears in the winter

I take it they're quite warm :nenau

I got rid of the Stitch as it was a 42S and I really needed a 42R.

When I got round to placing an order for the Stitch I got an email a few days later saying it would take 6 weeks to make one so decided to try the Phantom after reading all the posts on the US sites.

Can't comment of the warmth of the Phantom but the Stitch needs you to wear layers underneath for warmth.

Of course the beauty of these suits is you wear whatever you want to have on when you arrive at your destination and ditch the suit. :thumb

Having said that I don't think Whatton's thong and belly top ensemble was quite what the designers had in mind :D

I looked at the Olympia AST jacket in a few Honda dealers in the US last eyar. Nice kit:thumb

HRO (Hamish) has had one for over a year and would recommend one.

I like the look of their new Hi Viz jacket Roger . Looks like the have copied the Icon Vest but made it a bit more substantial/bulkier.

I love my Icon Mil Spec.

I looked at the Olympia AST jacket in a few Honda dealers in the US last eyar. Nice kit:thumb

HRO (Hamish) has had one for over a year and would recommend one.

I like the look of their new Hi Viz jacket Roger . Looks like the have copied the Icon Vest but made it a bit more substantial/bulkier.

I love my Icon Mil Spec.

Check the link for the Icon Vest would ya, I can't find it. :blast

Back
Top Bottom