► GPS mounts/connections and Autocomm (consolidated)

space for autocom ?

those of you lucky enough to have a new Fgs - a question

is there space under the seat or "tank" plastics for an older pro 7 auto com (brick).
i have the bike on order and would like to wire the autocom to listen to my quest gps as i did with my 1150.

can you have look and let me know ??
H

Consolidated: GPS mounts and connections

So today I had time in the workshop, so a chance to locate the mythical GPS Connector on the F800GS. I've seen threads for the 1200GS and 800ST, so I figured there'd be a fair chance...

To get under the fake tank, you need to remove the seat and six torx bolts. Four on the top tank panel, and two either side of the headstock, mounted in the black plastic that forms part of the ignition/socket assembly:

2336182330_94570a06ea.jpg

The tank panel now lifts straight off but be careful of the power socket wiring underneath:

2335349189_86a0217626.jpg

A closer look at the power socket wiring connector:

2336182410_345e510280.jpg

The wires are attacked with a spring clip. You have to press down with your thumb to release it, then pull straight off the socket:

2335349577_137e8e2c8f.jpg

Ooh look, what is this mysterious black box thing attached directly on top of the battery?

2336182794_046bb90074.jpg

Pull it out of the mounting clips, and remove the black cap. There is another spring clip holding the black cap on. And inside? This:

2335349813_0dbe46e793.jpg

Which is our very obviously placed GPS connector. To connect your GPS unit to this can-bus controlled switched supply that stays on for a few minutes when you turn the engine off, you will part number 80 00 0 611 656 from your friendly local BMW Dealer:

power_connector.jpg

To make the cable, follow Stumpy's excellent instructions on this thread

While the tank panel is off, we can look at the underside, and see a cutaway near the ignition for mounting of a second power socket. The black plastic moulding on the top side won't be shaped around it like the original, but at least BMW have made it easy to add a second socket:

2336182568_be629941a6.jpg

I should also mention that the underside of the seat has space for a BMW First Aid kit, and has the basic tool kit mounted in there (spanner, torx key, screwdriver). And while we're here, let's have a look under the seat:

2336183300_8c81f7949a.jpg

Not a lot of room under there. On the Single 650GS the tail piece had a bit of space, which is now loaded with this:

2336183440_1d39e93342.jpg

I don't know if that is alarm or ECU. If you have a F800GS with no alarm, tell us if you have this box :beerjug:

My Tesco trips will only be for the essentials:

2335350453_3b3219f35e.jpg

Hope that helps someone :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Great job Twisticle:thumb2:thumb2

now all i need is the bike (april)

I trust its the same for my quest gps

all i could do with now is a way of getting the audio from the quest (jack plug lead) to plug directly into an auto com head set (5 din ??) with out going through an auto com

is this possible hardware wise and system wise ???? ie is there a jack to din converter and if there is would i here anything ?

Extra power socket as fitted by touratech [ looks like a car sized one ]

Attachments

• 01-048-0410-0_I_01.JPG
    01-048-0410-0_I_01.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 11,143
attachment.php

Also notice the position of the RAM mounts. The 800GS bars are thicker in the middle than at the ends, so you can't get the standard RAM mount in the centre if you want to.

Excellent job Twisticles! I hooked up my Gerbings clothing connector to the battery but comletely overlooked that connector - thought it was some special Canbus thingy the battery needed:eek:

FWIW,
The clothing connector can exit neatly under the centre trim panel and between the panel and the seat without being nipped anywhere.

To get under the fake tank, you need to remove the seat and six torx bolts. Four on the top tank panel, and two either side of the headstock, mounted in the black plastic that forms part of the ignition/socket assembly:.." Pesumably this sequence is required to get at the battery terminals (to clip on an Optimate for instance?)

Exactly the same. You can work on tbe battery without removing the cabling to the power socket (see pic 2 & 3) but probably kinder to the bike to disconnect the panel and lay it to one side. :thumb2

I presume that if you ordered another aux socket from BMW wired it direct to the battery and fitted it in the spare "cut out" that Twisticles mentioned, you could use it for charging via an optimate ??.
NOT according to the manual - apparently you need a special unit to charge via a Canbus socket and to charge the battery directly with an ordinary charger, it says you need to disconnect the battery. Not being up on electronics I have no idea what happens if you try to charge the battery without disconnecting it first but I suspect any warranty claim would not be entertained.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to locate a Zumo 550 mounting bracket, does anyone know of any alternative mount manufacturer for the 800GS preferably for the handlebar cross brace.
I would be very grateful for any info :beerjug:

Sounds like all you need is the shim adaptor then you can use what you've got in the Zumo kit and mount it on the crossbrace.
rap-319-large.jpg

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/rap-319.htm

does anyone know of any alternative mount manufacturer for the 800GS preferably for the handlebar cross brace.
I would be very grateful for any info :beerjug:

what cross brace? :nenau

TT do a sort of mini crossbrace that attached to the top of the yolks, to which you can attach their cradle mounts.

550 Mount & Cross Brace

Thanks Judge

I was not aware of what mounts were supplied with the 550, I only ordered it this morning from Halfords to take advanyage of their extra 10% off offer when purchased online this weekend.

Twisticles you are right

TT do supply a cross brace item number 040-0603 which I have ordered, when it arrives though might be another matter!

Thanks for the info:beerjug:

Disconnecting the battery

"....it says you need to disconnect the battery. ...." I think that they are simply being overcautious and that if you use an 'Optimate' type battery which has a very low output you won't do any damage. I must say that I been connecting up my battery terminals direct to an Optimate for many many years with no disconnection and no problems. Of course the terminals (or at least the +!) should be disconnected if a more powerful charger is used.

attachment.php

Also notice the position of the RAM mounts. The 800GS bars are thicker in the middle than at the ends, so you can't get the standard RAM mount in the centre if you want to.

Does anyone know if the handlebars are 1 inch for the RAM mounts? :confused:

I presume that if you ordered another aux socket from BMW wired it direct to the battery and fitted it in the spare "cut out" that Twisticles mentioned, you could use it for charging via an optimate ??.

Yes you could indeed, BMW's charger sends a signal to open the canbus circuit and enable charging through the standard accessory socket.

I'd maintained the battery on my previous 1200 with a direct battery connection for the last 2 years with absolutely no issues, the only problem with purchasing a socket from BMW is it will come with the plug connector the same as the one already fitted and you would need to source a plug.

2336182410_345e510280.jpg

Nippy Norman sells a waterproof din socket and a din plug to fit to the optimate cable which comes wired for a direct battery connection.:thumb

The bars are 28mm at the middle :thumb

Also, the connector cable is currently out of stock at BMW, so unless your local dealer has one you may be waiting a wee while.

Autocom

Hi there.
I have just fitted my Autocom pro, and it fits between the battery and the airbox. Only problem is not easy to adjust the controls as its under the battery cover and 6 screws. But it fits a treat, not sure if the older thicker models would fit.

Have a look at this pic. I am pointing at the GPS connector, but you can see the space between the battery and the airbox. Clearly designed for autocom installation, much like the horizontal box-shape cut-out on the 650GS single. Without measuring, it must be approaching 4cm at the widest point.

2336182794_046bb90074.jpg

Back
Top Bottom