RTC. Dublin. Kimmage rd. this a.m.

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
waited til now - was hoping for more info - but this is all i know.

road closed at 8.20a.m.
a serious crash involving a Bike. (possibly a BMW - maybe RT?)
Rider "critical but stable". (according to Gardai)
no further accurate info.

Hope all goes well for the Rider.
i know some of us GS commuters use this road.....

fingers crossed . . . . ....

Og I think it may have been Pat Mansfield from the Irish BMW club I believe he was on his way to the ferry to head off on an Easter Jaunt to Brugge with the BMriders

Posted here http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=40573#40573

Pat's in an induced coma and on life support - it's possible that may change after the scans tomorrow.

Not that I'm a particularly religious fella or anything but if anyones saying a prayer tonight Will Ya mention Pat and his Missus Frances in your prayers?

Electric Monk is the kimmage road a dual carraigeway type thing?? If so it was probably Pat He was on a Grey/blue K100LT with an electric screen fitted.

Pat was riding in the outside lane and a car was crossing over it hit the side of his bike and knocked him down and he slid across to the nearside of the carraigeway and somewhere along that slide his hat came off and he hit his head

He was taken to "St James's" (I think thats right????) and a scan done which showed he had significant swelling in his skull

Immediately they moved him to the Beaumont hospita; and they removed a portion of his skull to relieve pressure and are keeping him sedated (induced coma) He had a scan yesterday and I haven't heard results

THe term "critical but stable" is the one being bandied about So here's hoping for friday whne they attempt to wake him!

Dublin better be ready Because I can hear it already "Wheres me baccy? and Feck I'm starving!!!!"

Hopefully he will pull through.
My thoughts and preys go out to him and his family

Jaythro

Kimmage Road is a single carriageway, one lane each way. It is one of the main arterial commuter routes into the city and traffic is almost always very heavy.
I won't get into any speculation because I only know of Pat through the web and have never met him, but a couple of my friends have been side swiped while filtering along this road. Heading citybound there are a couple of cheap filling stations on the offside as well as an oft ignored No Left Turn during rush hour.

Wish him a full recovery.

If it was Pat they were easing off the anaesthetic and trying to let him come out naturally. They postponed yesterday and I haven't had an update today, Yet.

Feck Me What a nightmare I went into the Beaumont to see If i could get up to see him and leave a card even on the ward

It's like a Maze of roads etc etc and not knowing where I was going and If I could park??? Sorta didn't help?

Then there was the problem that the staff couldn't understand my accent!
So not being a relative I gave up!

I'll post his card and his "Uiske Beatha!" 12 year od Jemmies :thumb It makes more sense my lithuanian, phillipino, ukranian, Corkian just isn't up to the job of getting thru the barricades!!!!!

Are there actually any Native Dublinese still working in the Dub????????

I heard the immigrant problem was bad but ??????????? Stunned is all I can say!

The last update I have from Pat's missus is that they are reducing the amount of anaesthetics involved in keeping him asleep so that he wakes naturally (They'll be there a while waiting on the natural awakening I can tell ya!
Unless there's a Bacon n egg Sannie or a Full Irish brekkie cookin nicley within a half mile upwind somewhere :thumb

So the Phrase "Critical But Stable" is still being offered as an explanation of his condition!

Any Medic out there care to translate that to Laymans terms??

Does it really mean "he's not dead but he's not getting any better either!" like sort of a family soother or something like that? I'm not being a cnut I just don't get the meaning of that phrase!

Tough news, I do hope he is ok.

"and somewhere along that slide his hat came off and he hit his head"

any idea how his helmet came off, that sounds really bad ?

The last update I have from Pat's missus is that they are reducing the amount of anaesthetics involved in keeping him asleep so that he wakes naturally (They'll be there a while waiting on the natural awakening I can tell ya!
Unless there's a Bacon n egg Sannie or a Full Irish brekkie cookin nicley within a half mile upwind somewhere :thumb

So the Phrase "Critical But Stable" is still being offered as an explanation of his condition!

Any Medic out there care to translate that to Laymans terms??

Does it really mean "he's not dead but he's not getting any better either!" like sort of a family soother or something like that? I'm not being a cnut I just don't get the meaning of that phrase!

Yeah, I've often wondered about that sort of desciption. I'm not qualified to comment technically, but I think its fair to assume that the important bit is the first one and in this case 'critical' is not good, by any stretch of the imagination. Stable merely means that he's not getting any worse and thats great, because it presumably means he's not in decline. To be honest, I think the docs. tend towards the conservative end of descriptions, but they've got to be left to do whats necessary.

The next stage of improvement above 'critical' is 'serious' so I think its going to be waiting game to see what the medical experts can do for him. As long as it happens, the time it takes is not important. Google throws up this.

As with everyone on here, my thoughts go to his folks at this time....and I wish him a fully recovery.

V

One of our Merkin cousins sent me this which I hope is good news as it is the Hospital that is keeping him sedated.
Understanding Hospital Media Policies

Patient Condition
For the one-word condition, use the terms "Undetermined," "good," "fair," "serious" or "critical." Definitions of patient conditions are listed below:

Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.

Clinicians find the "critical but stable" term useful when discussing cases amongst themselves because it helps them differentiate patients who are expected to recover from those whose prognosis is worse. But a critical condition means that at least some vital signs are unstable, so this is inherently contradictory. The term "stable" should not be used as a condition. Furthermore, this term should not be used in combination with other conditions, which by definition, often indicate a patient is unstable.
I quite like that explanantion Well much much better than I had interpreted it as!
:thumb

Are there actually any Native Dublinese still working in the Dub????????

I heard the immigrant problem was bad but ??????????? Stunned is all I can say!

I though that when I was in Dublin a few weeks back...:(

Best wishes for the fella, hope he pulls through this nasty bit....:)

Any further news

"poor aul' Pat is still the exact same, still critical ( to use their words ). Zero change. I hate to say it ( or write it ) but thats not good, sure it ain't....its nearly 2 weeks now and hes still showing no improvement."

Message from a colleague in the Dub :(:(:(

Keep the prayers and stuff coming!

Frances said:
No change in Pat.
Waiting for a bed in St James.
Only needs intensive care now so they are sending him back to the original where he was first admitted.
The problem is that he needs to be in isolation because he has MRSA.
He is still in a coma

Gentlemen only our friend could find himself surrounded by lovely Nurses and Doctors, only to be unaware and while he's at it he's also contracted MRSA

SO please keep him in your thoughts in a very positive way and Please don't dwell on Doom and Gloom!

Pat'll be very upset with yous If You Do!

It may take a while But I firmly believe He'll be up and about again!

Watch this Space

Back
Top Bottom