World of BMW Moroccan Desert Adventure Oct 08

Tractorpilot

Reaction score
This is a starter for ten while I can get on the internet. A full report to follow when we get back in a week or so
2920207964_c5c057b648.jpg

and
2920207766_09e19ef877.jpg

and
2920207542_a805f33c04.jpg

and
2920207308_6e8f2aa93c.jpg

and
2919361069_57ef9cd588.jpg

and
2919360815_6030cc0d76.jpg

and
2919360715_301a0d162b.jpg

and
2919360507_ab57687735.jpg

and
2919360399_daa848b0eb.jpg

and
2920206344_b93dbc48a2.jpg

and
2920206240_0bf9b17474.jpg

and
2919359655_395b4be1da.jpg

and
2920208160_b2afca7675.jpg

Got as far as Merzouga
Signing off now as off to Ouarzazate in the morning

TP

Last edited:
not me twisticles but it is my bike! that mad foreign legion chap stole it for a rescue mission. I did get to raz round the desert a bit though - pics and vid to follow. FYI I was the only F800 on the trip.

not me twisticles but it is my bike! that mad foreign legion chap stole it for a rescue mission. I did get to raz round the desert a bit though - pics and vid to follow. FYI I was the only F800 on the trip.

Cool! Look forward to the pix and vid.

How did the 800GS stack up against the big GSs? And how did your TKC80s last?

Looks fantastic:thumb2

Nice to see the Blue Sweeper and Mr. David A Hall looking as imperious as ever :D:D

Now then...

for the avid listeners (and everyone else) - a short update.

No pics - we were concentrating on staying on the road, rubber side down with no extremeties parting company.

Yes I am serious. We got from Marrakech to Ifrane yesterday with temperatures ranging from 25deg C to 4.5deg C. All arrived safely after dark thanks to the excellent support.

At Ifrane ran into Stumpy of this parish and wished him well on his way south.

Also came across BMW Stroud group following another route around Morroco.

Today from Ifrane to Ceuto/Sebta again intact with support through weather worse than North Cape last year. No ferries left Ceuta for Alge. today. We may be stuck here tomorrrow.

If so will try to post more stuff. I thought we had already done lots but there was much more to come!!

Anyway we are now officially out of Morroco and waiting for a ferry when the weather permits. Check the met info for S.Spain & N.Africa.

Happy birthday Samuel - hope the hangover is not too bad :D :cool: :eek: :thumb

Of course, the full report will include the awards ceremony...:thumb
:potkettle

Back on schedule

Made up lost time from afternoon ferry crossing from Morocco. Blast up the autovia arriving in Cordoba at midnight. Yesterday travelled on to Segovia. Will continue today to Santander for the afternoon sailing.

Then I will write the full report.

TP

Also came across BMW Stroud group following another route around Morroco.
You get the impression Morocco is littered with groups of GS’s bumping into each other at every junction like a Monty Python sketch :D

Looking forward to reading the full report :thumb

a bit more...

We tended to run into people at the fuel stations or hotels or ferrys (including Sir James Burton!). Off road, the only things we (nearly) ran into were 4x4s!

Yeah - it's a big country but the key destinations are relatively few. Apart from GSs and similiar and local bikes we only saw one group of sports bikers while we were there.

I am writing the log now but it takes a bit of time to remember, process track logs from the GPS, resize and upload the pics and so forth. In the meanwhile, here is a slideshow of about 8 minutes duration giving a flavour of the holiday.

Photography credit goes to the members of the group collectively not just me. Thanks all. Editing faults are all my own. Music is Moroccan but I don't know who they are.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VB40q4OI9Sc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VB40q4OI9Sc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TP

Thanks for posting the slideshow - a nice little taster for what I've got to expect next week. Currently counting down until the ferry leaves Plymouth in a little over 48 hours. Only 2 'get-ups' to go!

Thanks for posting the slideshow - a nice little taster for what I've got to expect next week. Currently counting down until the ferry leaves Plymouth in a little over 48 hours. Only 2 'get-ups' to go!

Hi
We leave tomorrow morning, Toulouse Almeria with car and trailer, and ferry to Nador.
The journey ( if we can ), debdou, benitajite, Merzouga, Mhamid,Tata, Tafraoute, Aguinan, Ouarzazat, Imilchil, boulemane, Nador.
2 weeks on site.
The same mates as two years ago, look at the blog
http://two400xrinmorocco.blogspot.com/
Eric

Day 01 – Overnight Ferry (Plymouth to Santander)
Sunday 28th September 2008

Met boarded drank ate slept
The holiday began with a 2 hour run for me from Worcester down to Plymouth. When I reached Plymouth, I stopped at the Sainsbury superstore for fuel and food. I spotted a blue 08 R12GS so parked next to it. It turned out to be Blue Sweeper’s bike (Roy). Blue Sweeper was the tour leader and was meeting Dave, our Tail End Charlie (David A Hall) and Cameron, one of the other riders. The four of us rode together down to the ferry port. The usual wait followed
Day0128SEP2008-01.jpg

but the 13 people on the tour from mainland Britain all turned up in time and we were off.
Day0128SEP2008-02.jpg

Day 02 – Santander to Salamanca
Monday 29th September 2008

Lumpy and interesting then flat and flatter
We left Santander and followed a route through the Picos de Europas mountains heading for Salamanca. After the Picos the route was mostly flat and a bit tedious. No maps, we followed town names off a list to get to our destination. The GPS was pretty useless and spent most of the time recalculating as it could not recognise all the new sections of roads the Spanish have built. Not that I am complaining, it cut an hour off the time taken to get to Salamanca.

At Salamanca, we hooked up with the other two members of our party, Mark & Hamish who had ridden down through France from Guernsey. Our first overnight stop in Spain was spent in a city centre hotel which allowed us to visit the old square
Day0229SEP2008-01.jpg

of this university city
Day0229SEP2008-02.jpg

and after a look around we enjoyed a great meal
Day0229SEP2008-04.jpg

at a restaurant close to the square.
Day0229SEP2008-03.jpg

Day 03 – Salamanca to Carmona
Tuesday 30th September 2008

Flatter and longer
More long miles of Spain to cross, most of it still very flat. We finally reached Carmona, near Seville where we were stopping for the night
03100DSC00922.jpg

at the Parador which was fantastic.
03110IMG_6605.jpg

Restored as a hotel it was a beautiful place to stay.
03115IMG_6602.jpg

03120DSC00918.jpg

The interior was beautiful
03170DSC00928.jpg

too
03160DSC00926.jpg

Day 04 – Carmona to Algeciras and ferry to Ceuta
Wednesday 1st October 2008

Day0301OCT2008-01.jpg

Day0301OCT2008-02.jpg

A bit more interesting after Carmona, much more entertaining roads to wear out knobbly tyres on!
DSC00933.jpg

We stopped for lunch at Ronda with its historical bridge.
DSC00935.jpg

Mark found an interesting place to park. He wasn't the first - I managed to knock mine over first but no one had a camera out. After a while quite few more of us had managed it at one time or another. Rob got the award as the world's strongest GSA lifter.
IMG_0258.jpg

After more lovely twisty roads we came down out of the mountains and paused for coffee
DSC00943.jpg

then it was on to Algeciras to catch the ferry across the Straits of Gibraltar to Africa!
DSC00950.jpg

That night we stayed at another Parador in Ceuta in Spanish Morocco prior to crossing the border in the morning.

More to follow when I can upload some more pics. More of the off road stuff to enjoy

TP

Part 2

Day 05 – Ceuta into Morocco and on to Ifrane
Thursday 2nd October 2008

Africa, offroad, definitely different and good
Africa proper at last. I haven’t put mileages up across the Spanish section of the journey because it was done as on an independent basis with people travelling in smaller groups, not one big party. From here on I will give you the daily mileages I showed on my GPS when available. Just for background; Santander to Salamanca was about 225 miles, Carmona was a further 300 odd miles and it was about half (160 miles) that from Carmona to Algeciras/Ceuta. So we covered near 700 miles over three days.

Border clearances went smoothly and we hooked up with the support vehicle, a Land Cruiser pick-up, which would take the luggage while we in Morocco. Our destination for the day was Ifrane. That meant we were travelling over the Rif mountains into the real Morocco passing through Fes en route to Ifrane. Ifrane (nicknamed Little Switzerland) is a town and ski resort in the Middle Atlas region, population 12,000+. Ifrane is 1,650 m in altitude – more stuff here.
Day0402OCT2008-01.jpg

or
Day0402OCT2008-02.jpg

With a last look at Ceuta, it was off into the Rif mountains heading for the Barrage de Al Wahda, a dam with a large lake behind it.
DSC00966.jpg

That was some distance away and we were still getting used to the pace of the place, road surfaces, traffic, local hazards etc. A morning coffee stop was the original intention but Ramadan was just finishing and the planned stop was not open - we pressed on and as usual something turned up. Before we reached the barrage, Roy recognised a little roadside cafe/store where he had stopped the previous year. I don't think the shopkeeper quite believed what was happening at first - 15 vultures disguised as bikers descended on his food and drink stocks!
CIMG0764.jpg

Roy remembered he had had a puncture fixed by a lad here in previous years. He asked the shop keeper if he remembered and the boy said yes he did remember it.
IMG_6669.jpg

Refreshed, it was on to the barrage. No pictures of the dam - it is forbidden. So we moved down the lake a distance before stopping for a break. This is where we had our first off tarmac session of the tour as we took a graded but unsurfaced road past the lake behind the dam. Not challenging compared with later runs but a good place to start for me with little experience since the Level 1 course in South Wales the summer before. Don't know what it will be like next year as the grading looked very much like a precursor to sealing the road in the near future - progress :(
IMG_0266.jpg

Onwards and inwards. Through the Rif and on to Fez.
DSC00980.jpg

Our first experience of Moroccan city traffic. No time to take pictures. We survived.

In the evening we arrived in Ifrane at the hotel.
DSC00985.jpg

The first challenge was a bit more off roading - up two steps onto the patio area where they wanted us to park the bikes!
DSC00984.jpg

Then there was the usual chaos sorting out baggage and rooms
DSC00983.jpg

Once that was sorted we could pause for breath. I was glad to be finding things pretty easy to get use to so far. The hotel was a nice place but seemed to be running on an off-season basis and appeared undermanned. The bar was shut. They said it was because of Ramadan but I believe Ramadan was over by then. Perhaps it was some local variation. Anyway, a bar in town was open so we got a drink. They said the hotel bar reopened on Sunday. We would see on the way back. Looking forward to tomorrow and some proper tarmac free riding...

More to follow - whether you like or not :D

TP

- oh yeah, we did 402 km (250 miles) climbing from sea level to 1636m.

Back
Top Bottom