How to split and fit a Stebel Nautilus

(RIP) Shenzi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First of all thanks to Thorium, his post on Advrider led to my actually fitting the Nautilus on my bike after several months of trying. He fit his compressor into the space provided for the carbon filter, check out his post on Advrider.

In the photo below you can see the plastic intake that fits into the compressor body, this is the only thing that stops the compressor sliding out. Ease it off the compressor with a fine screwdriver then slide the compressor out.

Attachments

• Horn1.jpg
    Horn1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 899
I used a tube from an Ultraseal bottle, stuck the thing in as far as it would go then wound some self healing tape around it. Hasn’t moved in 2000 miles so I think it is OK.

Attachments

• Horn2.jpg
    Horn2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 855
I painted the compressor black and cut some closed cell foam to the size of the compressor on one side and the fork on the other. I then glued some flat plastic on each side of the foam. This was to centre the compressor and allow the cable ties to hold it in position.

Attachments

• Horn3.jpg
    Horn3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 856
My chosen place for the relay is on top of the compressor. The relay is connected to the Magnum horn which I fitted in place of the original.

Attachments

• Horn4.jpg
    Horn4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 833
As can be seen in this photo, the horn clamps onto the fork perfectly. For the compressor I put a stainless jubilee clip on the fork in such a way as to support the unit. Taking this photo this evening I noticed that the top cable tie has gone so I may put a jubilee clip in its place.

All the usual disclaimers, this is what I did on my bike,I don't suggest you do it on yours, your choice!

Attachments

• Horn5.jpg
    Horn5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 836
Sorry guys, forgot to post this photo which shows the compressor halfway out of the plastic horn body.

Attachments

• Horn.jpg
    Horn.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 834
Nautilus

It's ok bolting them on with thay crap fixing system (for cars?) but yoiu go off
road over rough terain and they come off! don't ask how I know, this idea looks good but for off road going the forks might hit something on full compression.

It's ok bolting them on with thay crap fixing system (for cars?) but yoiu go off
road over rough terain and they come off! don't ask how I know, this idea looks good but for off road going the forks might hit something on full compression.

When I go offroad I use an offroad bike :D Definitely agree with you, it wouldn't last two minutes. The Thorium option would be OK though.

Mines been fine :nenau maybe I should go further off road ;)

Attachments

• 94662868-Msmall.jpg
    94662868-Msmall.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 716
First, thanks to Shenzi for a good write-up on splitting the compressor.

Just want to point out that the trumpet part is very light, and is not likely to come off until kingdom come. The compressor needs to be firmly mounted. The original bolt mount is strong, but needs to be firmly mounted if used. (Hose clamps or heavy duty cable ties is probably sufficient) The original horn mounting points will not provide adequate support.

When mounting anything in this area one needs to take into account maximum spring compression. I did this unscientifically, by measuring the dust marks on the sliders left by precious off-roading (I have been pretty close to bottoming out a couple of times) and added a bit of extra safety margin.

Gecko, that doesn't look like a 12GSA to me and that is the bike we are talking about :D We know there is no problem fitting the Nautilus to 1150s.

I thought our man above was talking generally about the strength of the fitting brackets :augie but you get top prize for spotting the odd one out :p it's an 1100 though.... not an 1150 ;)

I thought our man above was talking generally about the strength of the fitting brackets :augie but you get top prize for spotting the odd one out :p it's an 1100 though.... not an 1150 ;)

Err, maybe I did notice it was an 1100 and decided to test others :eek: :hide :D

Back
Top Bottom