1200 GS CAT replacement S/S Y piece

Rong

Reaction score
Transferred from the For Sale section.

Why go to the expense of replacing your whole exhaust system when you can buy this brand new, stainless steel Y piece? Just cut your existing system, as shown below, and fit the Y piece in place of the CAT. Not only do you get a much lighter system you also benefit from having the balance pipe still in place on your existing headers.

All this for only £100 delivered (UK only, overseas please enquire). :thumb2

Attachments

• y piece.JPG
    y piece.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 877
  • cut pipe.JPG
    cut pipe.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 887
  • new and old.JPG
    new and old.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 901
Looks the part. :thumb2

My only reservation is that I've heard a rumour that the MOT for bikes will shortly include an emissions test and not having the cat just might be a bad thing.

Good point, if and when this does come in I have a different design Y piece that is slightly longer and will come with a coupler piece to allow you to re-fit your old CAT either for the MOT or if you want to keep your Y piece when you sell your 'bike.

Stainless CAT replacement Y piece Mk2

A refinement! Now the Y piece comes with 2 coupling pieces that can be welded onto the cut off CAT to allow it to be re-used when selling the bike or for an MOT should it be necessary. Still the same price £100 delivered. :thumb

Attachments

• The kit.JPG
    The kit.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 800
  • CAT and couplings.JPG
    CAT and couplings.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 798
  • Couplings welded on CAT.JPG
    Couplings welded on CAT.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 792
  • Headers and Y piece.JPG
    Headers and Y piece.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 803
  • Headers and CAT.JPG
    Headers and CAT.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 789
Thanks digga, I think that it provides the cheapest solution to the CAT replacement requirement (apart from drilling out the CAT yourself!). Not only that, as you use your standard headers there is no problem with fitting aftermarket crash bars and the final advantage is that the balance pipe is retained.

A bit of a no brainer really but I would say that!

Hi Rong

Please could you tell me if sound and increase in power will improve similar as replacing the whole header? I know that the increase in power is minimal but definitively I'm more interested in the sound.

Thanks,

Roberto

Roberto

My GS was fitted with standard headers and an Akra' can so the sound was quite good with the plug removed.
I then replaced the CAT and the sound changed, becoming a lot sharper and the overrun popping was a bit louder. Next I replaced the filter for a blue one and that altered the induction note giving off a healthy roar with a handful of throttle and finally I introduced a PC that again changed the sound becoming a bit too loud (well the copper who stopped me on Monday said he could hear me open the throttle and he said he was half a mile away - to be fair a accelerated from 80 to ???!)
In conclusion the wife tells me that she knows when I'm coming home as its sounds like a helicopter coming in to land when I approach the village!

Regarding the power, I've yet to Dyno it (hopefully next week) but I expect there to be an increase of about 5 BHP, but the important thing is that the midrange performance is changed by swapping out the CAT making it much smoother.

Hi Rong

Thanks for your good explanation. Now I know what to expect from this modification.

Regards

Roberto

Rong

I assume that you make these items, I was looking at the idea of changing the headers and this seems a good idea. I assume instructions for where to cut the pipes etc come wit hthe goods?

Instructions are dead simple, just cut the existing pipes leaving 1/2" (10mm - 15mm) on the CAT so that it's easier to weld the sleeves on. If you're not bothered about re-using the CAT or your welding skills are OK, then you can cut the pipes close to the CAT as the photos above show.
Apart from that the only other advice is to use high temp grease when refixing the exhaust sensors and if you're really fussy you could replace the exhaust gaskets, but most people don't bother!
There is a typed up sheet giving these instructions and showing the cuts but really it is very straightforward.

Last edited:
Nice piece of kit...

That is. Better than trying to take the stock cat apart and cut it out.

BB

Rong, please email me

as I cannot access your info and I am a newbie. What would the total cost be to Canada?

BB

Has anybody tried these? Looks like a good alternative to Remus headers

Yes, I've sold several of these and have been running one on my GS for the last couple of years, so I can honestly say that they are an excellent and cheaper alternative!

Ron

PS Just got back from a few days away in Devon hence the delay in replying.

De catted Y peice

Hi Rong,

I notice that there is no support in the centre part of the exhaust. is this the case or is there a support not shown?

Richie

Hi Rong,

I notice that there is no support in the centre part of the exhaust. is this the case or is there a support not shown?

Richie

Hi Richie

There isn't a central support as due to the light weight, none is necessary - I've done over 15K on mine with no problems.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom