Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bye Bye Fuel Injection and good riddance :hammer
I have just converted my 1100GS to carburetors and fair play what a difference
I have never been 100% happy with the way it ran ever since i first got it
But like everythink else about the bike
It now pulls cleanly from 25 MPH in top
You can ride it at walking pace in first without all the horrible snatching it used to have
It also seems to go better as well :augie
Some one must have rebuilt my gearbox when i was not looking cuz the gear change is so much smoother too :thumb
Infact it now rides like a big Airhead and thats fine by me :D

Here's a few pics

P40817271280x768.jpg

P40817301280x768.jpg

P40817291280x768.jpg

The carbs fit on pretty well and look good too
I did a few mods to improve the fit
I made 2 spacer plates to move the carbs back a bit to clear the front suspension wishbone..
Otherwise you have to tip the left carb over from level to clear it

P40717191280x768.jpg

P40717111280x768.jpg

P40717101280x768.jpg

P40717201280x768.jpg

I also made 2 thin aluminium rings to step the back of the carbs up so they fit into the 1100 intake tubes properly

P40717151280x768.jpg

I have put the ECU in the bin and replaced it with a Pazon ignition

P40717231280x768.jpg

I am at the moment designing a curcit to get the oil temperature gauge working correctly again

All in all a very worth while conversion

Great stuff Gary :thumb2

Looks like it was always supposed to be that way.

I've read of a few people who've had Steve Scriminger convert their 1100's but it's good to read of someone DIY'ing it. There are a ton of questions I'd like to ask - I may bother you in the future :D

Great job.

I've seen a few GS with this conversion and they always look good, like the way it was supposed to be :)
some smart metalwork there as well :thumb

even though if I'm being honest I've never understood the need to do in the first place ?

Very nicely done Gary, shame it's not as straightforward for the 1150.

A very neat job :thumb2 I was lusting after this conversion last year when Kenny had his done, but being a tightwad the DIY route is far more attractive.

hey gary, i have got something to check out with you regards to the convertion.
i cannot seem to PM you, will you be able to email me (blues_bleu@yahoo.com.sg)
thanks alot!!!!

Gary that is a great conversion being an engineer i appreciate the time and effort involved:thumb:thumb

Been out for a 250 mile ride today for a good test
The bike is totally transformed
The power delivery is now completly snatch free in any gear
The amount of gear changes you need to do is dramatically reduced
It pulls like a train and is smoother everywhere
Fuel economy seems about the same too
This is one of the best mods i have done for ages

P41017361280x768.jpg

sounds like your fuel injection was'nt set up right - my 1100 used to go down to 1000 rpm in top and pull away cleanly enough.

hey gary, i have got something to check out with you regards to the convertion.
i cannot seem to PM you, will you be able to email me (blues_bleu@yahoo.com.sg)
thanks alot!!!!

Pay your money you tight git:D

Superb Gary...and as I've always said, an 'airhead on steroids' :)
Excellent engineering btw :clap ( My engineering tools are a bastard file and a paint scraper :D )
Definately one of the best mods that can be done to an 1100 :thumb2

1310104.jpg

131010.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

Oil temp gauge circuit now sorted installed and works fine

temp.jpg

Went for a spin today with a mate on his new toy..
And what a beauty she is :drool

P41717621600x1200.jpg

Very nice job.

For those who aren't as capable as you, how much does this cost to get Steve Scriminger to do it?

Oil temp gauge circuit now sorted installed and works fine

temp.jpg

[/IMG]

Nice one Garry - did you use a microcontroller in the circuit or is it all analogue?

cheers
Matt

Gary, How did you get the oil temp guage to work...Sriminger was/is still working this out !! Be great to get mine up and showing as well :thumb2

Incidently, Scriminger charges £250 + vat for labour

Pm's replied to :thumb
To be honest sorting the temp gauge out took me longer than fitting the rest of the kit...
I am going to make a couple more to check the circuit out on a couple of other bikes ( because i calibrated mine for my bike ) and check it works ok
( i see no reason why it should not )...And take it from there

Just back from a 4500 mile ride down to Albania and back

SAM_01801600x1200.jpg

The bike ran spot on from sea level to about 7000 feet

SAM_81441600x1200.jpg

But over 8000 feet it was a tad on the rich side.. But still perfectly acceptable

SAM_81131600x1200.jpg

My oil temperature gauge mod worked perfect

P60201451600x1200.jpg

A pleasure to ride on gravel roads

SAM_00161600x1200.jpg

The only slight problem i had was when low on fuel a couple of times going up long steep inclines the syphon from the tank to the carbs was lost :blast

Just like running out of fuel..Pull over and blow down the breather tube to get the fuel flowing again

So the next mod is to fit a low pressure pump or use 2 feeds to the carbs and 2 taps like a airhead
Fuel economy was excellent i was in no rush and was getting not far short of 60 mpg
IMHO a well worthwhile mod

Hi Gary,

Hmmm...seems like the use of the OE bmw filter is at fault by holding an air lock when fuel gets low. I 'ran out of fuel' when recently balancing the carbs whilst forgetting to turn on the fuel tap:blast
Even removing the float bowls and filling them with petrol AND blowing into tank still proved fruitless until I physically poured petrol in to fill up the actual filter, then all was well.
I've just bought a larger narrower ( 8mm fuel pipe) plastic fuel filter ( will fit 1000cc Jap bikes etc )which hopefully ( if I can fit it vertically ) will sort out this minor blemish on an otherwise thoroughley recommended conversion.

Looks like you had a great holiday :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom