Fuel pump failure Again

goyl

My fuel pump failed again for the second time 11200 miles, the first time at 4200 in Switzerland.
BMW Emergency took me and the bike to Pidcock's after a 40min wait for them to turn up. I explained the symptoms to Roger the chief mechanic
The bike had started to idle roughly, then cut out at around 60mph 5 miles later.

I had played with the side stand switch then listened for the pump whilst turning on & off the ignition. Silence

Having told Roger my thoughts, he confirmed them when he removed the petrol pump can bus controller. The well underneath was full of water. The conections there where covered in verdigris, shorting out the pump.

The new parts came next day. New seal for the can bus a different colour. This time battery grease on all electrical connections and sealant as well as the o ring to keep water at bay.

I still think the bike is fantastic eventhough it has let me down twice

Sorry for your poor luck, but I share your sentiments even after having the 'box replaced at <1200 miles.

Yep - I'm having one in, bike as done 8k. Hope they put the new sealing system in like yours.

Hi all

Please excuse my ignorance, I wouldn't know where to find my can buss thingy to check to see if corrosion is present!

Any chance of a description of their location or are they not available to check by mere mortals?

Regards Shep :beer:

:mooney

Strip off the left hand side (as you sit on the bike) black panel, using the quarter turn fasteners. The fuel pump controller can be seen on the left of the tank. See this thread for pictures.

This has got to be the worst bit of design I have ever seen on any vehicle. To have a critical part of the functioning of the bike exposed to the elements and at the mercy of a rubber O ring seal is in my opinion hopelessly inadequate. I belive that BMW will have to upgrade and redesign this part to (1) Prevent water ingress and (2) If water gets in have a drain system so it can escape from the area. I have taken to drying out the Can Bus water reservoir every time I wash the bike to try and prevent build up of water and the eventual stopping of the bike. Yes I know the connectors are supposed to be waterproof but Sods Law states that if water can get into the electrics then it will do!!!. This is crap design and I would NEVER have bought the bike had I been aware of this problem. What good is it having such a great bike stopped for the sake of a bit of thought and common sense at the design stage. GET REAL BMW and get this sorted!!!

Paul Mac said:
This has got to be the worst bit of design I have ever seen on any vehicle. To have a critical part of the functioning of the bike exposed to the elements and at the mercy of a rubber O ring seal is in my opinion hopelessly inadequate. I belive that BMW will have to upgrade and redesign this part to (1) Prevent water ingress and (2) If water gets in have a drain system so it can escape from the area. I have taken to drying out the Can Bus water reservoir every time I wash the bike to try and prevent build up of water and the eventual stopping of the bike. Yes I know the connectors are supposed to be waterproof but Sods Law states that if water can get into the electrics then it will do!!!. This is crap design and I would NEVER have bought the bike had I been aware of this problem. What good is it having such a great bike stopped for the sake of a bit of thought and common sense at the design stage. GET REAL BMW and get this sorted!!!

I understand your sense of frustration,but all complex systems suffer from this type of teething problem and a very simple fix has been developed by BM. So why not ask dealers to upgrade the parts on our bikes?

If we demand perfection at product launch on a relatively small production run model such as a 12GS we will pay double the price simply to fund development, which must run at around Euro 200 per manhour in Bavaria inclusive of overhead recovery and profit margin.

It is a fact that all designs have to be frozen at a certain point in the programme, and that the freezing point is a compromise in timing and cost to enable the product to come to market on a reasonable schedule at an affordable(?)price.

And providing the manufacturer supports the product with updates to resolve the, usually minor or even major, failures it seems a reasonable real world approach by BM. And there are no quibbles by BM on costs to my knowledge.

So I think I will take a look at this area of potential failure from time to time and if I see trouble starting I will ask for the update.

TM

I've just spoken to the mechanic working on my bike and there is a 'bulletin' from BMW which gives instructions on how to fix the 'weak point' in the bike. Not quite sure if this would be done as a routine during service. The service dept said they had done 'loads of these units' so far.

The moral of the story is to ride your bike and make the bits break before the warrenty runs out. Will be interesting to see how things are dealt with post warrenty. My warrenty runs out in March '07 so I'll be one of the first to find out.

Fair point Terry - BUT this is elementary stuff and it is obvious to any lay person never mind an engineer that water WILL collect in this area and WILL affect the electrics of the fuel pump. I can accept your point for unforseen design flaws but this is so obvious to me it beggars belief. Also it's no consolation if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken down bike because BMW couldn't be bothered / wouldn't spend the cash, to design this part properly - sorry but I stand by what I said this is crap design and has no place on a BMW product.
Regards Paul Mac Yorkshire UK

TerryM said:
I understand your sense of frustration,but all complex systems suffer from this type of teething problem and a very simple fix has been developed by BM. So why not ask dealers to upgrade the parts on our bikes?

I may have missed something, but what is the fix then ?

Clive said:
I may have missed something, but what is the fix then ?

Clive, if anyone's 1200 needs waterproofing, yours is top of the list --

:D :D

Back
Top Bottom