mapsource data to CF help

Lunsarboy

I have just got a new laptop that has a CF card slot but I can´t seem to be able to transfer the routes I have created in Mapsource to the card. I am new to Windows and GPS so need lots of gentle help. It seems to be able to transfer from card to mapsource but not the other way.

Cheers

Lunsarboy

When working on the PC you should be able to transfer your routes to the CF (on the PC) with no problems.

If you are then putting the CF card into your GPS and expecting to read the routes then you will have a problem.

A SP2610 will not read a route (or waypoint or tracklog) from the CF card.
It will only read it from a reserved area of internal memory and you must write it direct to the SP2610 from your PC (via USB).

Hi Burnie

thanks for that. That is a real shame the laptop is one of these super small ones and planned to use it as a travel laptop with all of Mapsource on it and just load the card in and upload the routes that i create. But hey one cable is not much more to carry.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

Lunsarboy

Found this old thread and wanted to check I've understood it properly.

When I create a route on mapsource and try to save it to my CF card slotted into a card reader, the option is ghosted out. The option to save to serial GPS is ok.

Is this normal? :confused:

I've downloaded the USB drivers from the Garmin site but that hasn't helped.

Transfer

As far as l know you only transfer maps to CF card Routes and waypoints go direct to unit by USB or Serial port.

Mitch

mitch said:
As far as l know you only transfer maps to CF card Routes and waypoints go direct to unit by USB or Serial port.
Mitch is 100% correct.

Lunsarboy, Iain:

Different types of data are stored in different places within a GPSR. Cartography (map segments) are stored either on a Garmin data card, a CF card, or on internal memory that is dedicated to maps.

Routes, waypoints, and track logs are all stored in a different place in the GPSR, and that different place is never the same place that maps are stored.

The only thing that is ever stored on a CF card or a Garmin data chip is cartography. The reason you could not get your routes or waypoints onto that data card is simply because MapSource would refuse to send that information to the data card - that's the reason why the option to save those things to the data card was greyed out. Route, waypoints, and tracks are always sent to the GPSR via the USB cable (for later model GPSRs) or the serial cable (for very early model GPSRs).

Hope this helps you understand it all.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom