Garmin announces the 2820 GPS for motorcycles

PanEuropean

Reaction score
Hello All:

Garmin has officially announced the SP 2820 GPSR. Here is a link to the description on the Garmin website. I will post more detailed information (pictures, comments, etc.) shortly. I have been using the 2820 on my moto since late March, and I am VERY happy with it.

Garmin StreetPilot 2820

Michael

Thanks Michael, that's the news I've been waiting for, now anybody want to buy a TomTom Rider?

John

I assume this is what the new Navigator III is based on then. Does it use the latest chipset? SIRF III or whatever it is?

Looks good... I was going to get a 2720 but think I'll hang on for this. Nice one :thumb

go on Greg you know you want one :)

Looks just the job, especially with Bluetooth capability for 'phone, and the built in MP3 player. Better start saving up now :D Glad I didn't upgrade to the 2720 now, just paid for the software upgrade to Version 8.0 CN instead. No doubt it will be about 150% more here than in the US.

Regards,

Charles

As promised, the further details and photos:

The easiest way to describe this GPSR would be to say that it is the most competent motorcycle navigator I have ever used.

It is the same form factor as the previous 2xxx series Garmin GPSRs, which means it fits right into the Garmin Motorcycle Bracket, and uses the same power cable and other accessories as all the other 2xxx GPSRs. There are two slight differences with the accessories – the remote control is the newer version (same as the 27xx series), and the 12 volt adapter with the built-in speaker – the one you would use in a car, not on a moto – is also the same newer one with the more sophisticated speaker that was first introduced with the 27xx series. The 27xx and 28xx both feature true ‘text to speech’ – meaning, they pronounce the full street names – and that requires a higher fidelity speaker. The older remote from the 25xx series will work with the newer 27xx and 28xx products, but it doesn’t give you all the control that the new remote does.

The big improvement: A fully integrated Bluetooth system. You can pair your cell phone up to it, and also pair a Bluetooth headset (for example, a BMW System V helmet with the WCS 1 Bluetooth system – see the write-up about it here: BMW System V Helmet with WCS-1 Bluetooth Communication System), and voila, you have directional guidance in your helmet, radar camera audible warning in your helmet, phone audio in your helmet, and full control of your phone, including your phone directory, caller ID, even a reminder of phone battery life remaining on the screen of the GPSR.

If you get bored with all that, you can listen to music using the built in MP3 player, although the quality of the music is not the greatest when you are listening to it via the BMW helmet system. But… the 2820 comes with an audio in connector (and a tiny little clip-on microphone, for use in a car) and an audio out connector. I connected the audio out from 2820 to the 12 channel, 270 watt sound system in my Volkswagen Phaeton, and I was pretty happy with the music quality. Installing a 12 channel sound system in a helmet might take a bit of work, though…

Pairing up phones and headsets with the GPSR is very simple. You put the external device into ‘discoverable’ mode, then tell the GPSR to start looking. Once you have paired a device up, the GPSR automatically recognizes it and hooks up to it every time you go riding in the future – no further actions, button pressing, or attention is needed – it’s that simple. I could talk on the phone via my helmet in a parking lot, as long as I stayed within about 25 feet of the motorcycle. However – this is thoughtful – there is a touchscreen control that allows you to transfer the call from your helmet (or other headset) back to your phone, just in case you get off the moto and want to keep talking as you walk into the office, your home, a restaurant, etc.

Satellite acquisition is very fast, and the GPSR appears to keep a lock on the satellite constellation much better than previous models did. I have done about 1,800 kilometers of riding in the past week – Zurich to Dresden to Wolfsburg and back – and I never saw the ‘Lost Satellite Reception’ message, except for when I was in tunnels.

The GPSR comes preloaded with City Navigator NT version 8 software for Europe – I don’t know what the North American users get. Partly because of the newer indexing system used with the NT cartography, lookups of cities, attractions, and addresses are much faster than ever before – there is virtually no delay between entering the search criteria and getting the results displayed.

The 2820 supports TMC (Traffic Management via RDS), same as the 27xx series. I hooked my GTM 10 FM traffic receiver up, and it worked just fine. The software for the GTM 10 has been enhanced quite a bit, and the 2820 now provides a ‘traffic map’ overview of all the traffic in your area. It’s sort of like a decluttered map, in grayscale, with the traffic events shown in colour. Quite useful for getting the big picture in a hurry.

The 2820 also supports POI recognition – in other words, you can load a speed camera database into it. I don’t know what the size limitations are on the Custom POI database, but I had no problems loading a speed camera database for all of Europe that contained 12,500 listings, all with individual speed settings and text annotations. When the warnings appear, they show the speed that the camera goes off at, and a one-line comment field (e.g. “westbound only, in front of McDonald’s”).

MP 3 storage capacity is dependent on how many maps you have loaded – the MP3s reside in the same area of solid-state memory as the maps. There is 2 gigs of memory available, so, with CN 8 Europe installed, you have about 700 megs available for MP3s. Should be enough for a weekend hop…

The user interface (how you control it) is substantially the same as the 27xx series. It’s easy to figure out, and the rider has quite a bit of control over customizing how the information is presented. I have the remote control that I used with my 27xx stuck on the clutch master cylinder of my moto, and use it for zoom in/out control and for flipping through the main map pages. In theory, the remote is not waterproof. In practice – well, I had the 2650 remote on the moto for well over a year, and never took it off (even when power washing the moto), and it still works, and the 27xx remote has now been on the handlebar for 10 months, suffering the same abuse. It still works great. My personal opinion is that the thing is waterproof.

Here are a few pictures. The software I have been using is pre-release, so, the visual presentation and the feature set will probably get better by the time the GPSR starts shipping.

Michael

The same familiar form factor - uses all the same cables and Garmin mounts
NB: You will have to check and make sure that third party brackets (e.g. Touratech, RAM) do not interfere with the USB and new audio in/out jacks! You can see the audio jacks just past the tip of the remote control.)

Traffic Information in LIST view
The colour codes indicate the severity of the problem - all the way from green (for example, dead skunk on road) to red (road closed)

Detail View of a single traffic event
Note that the road sign appears just as it would in real life

The new 'Traffic Map Overview' screen
Lets you get the big picture, showing where all the headaches are

The main menu screen
Note the icons that confirm what Bluetooth devices are connected at the moment. The helmet is considered a headset.

A convenient screen to sum up what you have been doing lately
Before anyone makes any wisecracks about the maximum speed - I was riding in Germany when I took this picture.

The 'Turn List' page. This shows what your route is ahead of you.

The main phone control page

What you see if you press the 'Call History' page
If you press one of the categories, it shows you the full details (name, number, etc.) of each inbound, outbound, or missed call. Makes it really easy to dial people you frequently talk to - you can initiate a call with one touch from the detail view of any of these categories.

The 2820 automatically sucks the phone book out of your mobile phone and remembers it
(The level of detail provided -e.g. home, work, mobile, etc. - will be dependent on whether or not your phone supports these classifications)
Simply touch a name to dial the number.

I'm fecked if I'm looking at that link. And I'd be really really fecked if the missus caught me buying one :rolleyes:

Here's a few additional photos showing how the speed camera warning function on the 2820 works. The quality of the photos is poor, because I took them indoors in a dark room (while running the GPSR in simulation mode) - for that reason, my camera could not resolve the contrast properly. It would have been damn difficult to hold the camera in my teeth as I drove past the speed trap - with my luck, the phone would have rung. :D

Anyway, the pictures should be good enough to give you the general idea.

1) Approaching the speed camera - not aware of it, riding at 82 km/h

2) The warning pops up - at whatever distance you have set for advance warning - so you slow down
(at the same time, you get an audible alert in the helmet via Bluetooth)

3) The speed limit icon shows you where the camera is.

4) As soon as you pass it, the red warning bar and the speed sign icon disappear.

buellbeast said:
...Does it use the latest chipset? SIRF III or whatever it is?

I dunno - it works, what more can I say? I have never asked about what is inside it, as long as the thing tells me where I am and where I am going - and where the speed cameras are - and where the gas stations are - I don't question it. :D Seriously - I don't know what the technical specs are. It does acquire the satellite constellation faster than any other GPSR I have ever used, and it seems to keep a better lock on the satellites as well, as long as I don't go into tunnels.

Michael

So for BMW NAV 3 add compass page, dealer network overlay, pod and £300 to the price of whatever Garmin sell the 2820 for here in the UK :rolleyes:

Michael

Yet again a useful post from the master!

And yet again the inevitable quitesions...

If I don't use Bluetooth, do all the spoken directions, speed camera warnings, MP3 music, etc etc still get output from the std audio "out"? I have my 2610 linked into my Autocom intercom and currently get voice prompts through there, so if I can get MP3 through it as well, that'll save a MP3 player & Booteroo under the saddle.

Did you find the voulume of the music adaquate? I tend to find the voice guidance a bit quiet at, let's say, autobahn speeds.

Cheers

Mark

markie_wales said:
If I don't use Bluetooth, do all the spoken directions, speed camera warnings, MP3 music, etc etc still get output from the std audio "out"?
Yes, they all do - just think of how a motorist in a car would need to get all this information via the speaker that is part of the power plug. The 2820 gives you three possibilities for audio out - either by Bluetooth, or via a new audio out jack that is provided on the left hand side of the GPSR body, towards the back (you can just barely see it in the top picture, above), or via the 8 pin connector on the back of the GPSR (the same multi-pin connector as the 26xx and 27xx series, the one that supplies the electricity to the GPSR). I have not experimented with audio out via the 8 pin connector, because I have never used audio out from that connector on my moto before. However, it worked just fine on my car.
markie_wales said:
Did you find the volume of the music adequate? I tend to find the voice guidance a bit quiet at, let's say, autobahn speeds.
Oh yeah - it's plenty loud enough. I wear foam earplugs, and I had no problems at all listening to music or hearing the directional guidance from the navigation system at 200 km/h (125 MPH) cruising speeds in Germany. In fact, if you have the 'speed adapted volume' (GALA) setting at the highest level, the sound level can be quite brutal at really high speeds. However - the Bluetooth audio output is intended for telephone use and directional guidance - the frequency response ranges from 0 to 3 kHz, so, you don't get high fidelity music via the Bluetooth. You do get high fidelity via the audio out jack or the big 8 pin connector on the back. In theory, the hardware has the capability of supporting 0 to 20 kHz (Bluetooth A2DP), but that is not supported via software at this moment, and it is not known whether it will be in the future. Bluetooth ain't the greatest transmission medium for high fidelity sound, so providing A2DP support might be a little bit like putting racing slicks on a Yugo or a Trabbant - an interesting technical exercise for the engineering types, but really without much practical value, especially considering there are two other hi-fi sound outlets on the GPSR right now.

Michael

Track Log Details

Track Log Details

I don't know what the ultimate capacity of the track log on the 2820 is, but it is huge. I just downloaded the track logs from my trip Zurich - Dresden - Wolfsburg - Zurich. This was well over 2,000 km of riding (over 1,200 miles), and the track log is only 62% full.

The track log gives the rider three options: Automatic resolution, time based resolution, or distance based resolution. In automatic mode, the recorder adjusts the interval automatically to create a log that accurately charts the path taken, with the distance between the points determined according to the speed of the moto and how rapidly the heading changes. This means that when paddling around in a parking lot, you might get a point recorded every 5 feet (so you can see that you did a 3 point turn), but when hauling ass down the autobahn at 125 MPH on the straightaway, you will get a point recorded every quarter of a mile.

If you choose to manually set the recording interval, you can specify a time interval (e.g. every 15 seconds), or set a distance interval (e.g. every 50 feet). Personally, I found that the auto mode did a good job of recording a log that would be fully satisfactory for retracing the same path on a street bike or in a car.

Michael

Numptie question

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but:

How does this fit in with bike to bike and rider to pillion communication? I was going to install a Starcom / Autocom with my Quest 1 but this does some of what I want.

Mutley1150 said:
How does this fit in with bike to bike and rider to pillion communication? I was going to install a Starcom / Autocom with my Quest 1 but this does some of what I want.

I'm honestly not sure. Bluetooth has a limited range (about 25 feet), so it would not be suitable for bike to bike.

If you are using the BMW System V helmet with the WCS-1 audio system (as I am), then one of the helmets can be paired with the GPSR for navigation guidance, phone calls, music, etc., and also paired with a second helmet for rider to passenger intercom. But, the passenger cannot hear the phone, the GPSR, or the music. However - the passenger can pair up with a second telephone if they want. This is really something that is specific to the BMW helmet (in other words, the 'headset'), not so much an issue regarding the technical capabilities of the GPSR.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom