Another 1200GS breakdown.... but '911' comes up trumps

Bert

Reaction score
Typical
Heavy and fast moving traffic in Germany, sailing along then BRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr...... total power loss.......:blast
Managed to pull in- bike would not start again ...... rain rain rain.... lovely!

Plugged in the '911' diagnostic and there it was on my phone's screen.....'fuel pump failed'.... gr8....
I wasn't sure if this was not a generalised comment but I do know that the1200 (amongst other weird habits ..:augie ) is inclined to burn a few of those fuel pump energiser thingies.....lucky for me, I was carrying a spare :D following the advice of a Beemer service manager in Wien ( Thanks Mr B :thumb )

So, it's a side cover off, switched the units and off I went again. Dead chuffed :)

So it's a :thumb to the '911' diagnostic dongle which saved me a lot of head scratching and time in the pouring rain which is not too comfortable.

First order of business....to find a replacement fuel pump energiser- ;) and I did just that. That's confidence for you but if it fries again ( I'm on my third) ....:mmmm , it will bring your 1200 to a total grinding halt and no hope of getting started again without a spare.
It doesn't take up much room so well worth having IMHO
Food for thought.

Attachments

• fuelpump.jpg
    fuelpump.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 654
What sort of things can a 911 diagnose?

Sounds like a very handy bit of kit to have in your toolbox, and I bet you're chuffed!

Mike

Interesting experience... :eek:

Sounds like a good idea to carry a spare - how much do these parts cost £/EURO

I've carried a spare one for a while now (since Bert mentioned his last failure) - it was around £50 IIRC.

Verything the BM unit will do bar adjustments at the moment ( they are working on that one thou for the future ) you can diag the bike and cancel
fault codes. The unit tells you the fault code and what it means in English.
Think it was 250 USD. then a few days later i got hit by the VAT man for £32.11p:mad: I got the same one as Bert, two types of unit one to plug into a laptop/puter the second will also Bluetooth to your Laptop/mobile phone.

Why dont you tow a trailer so can take a spare engine, gearbox,etc.
WHERE DO YOU STOP.

echo echo echo ST247!!

Why dont you tow a trailer so can take a spare engine, gearbox,etc.
WHERE DO YOU STOP.

the side of the road is just about right!
I don't have road assist..... so I make do with what I can and do my own repairs. I carry my phone anyway so that's no extra kit, the dongle weighs next to nothing as does the energiser which fits inside the palm of your hand.
But hey, to each his/her own:thumb2. I was just happy to
a) know what the trouble was
b) able to attempt a repair - as it turned out, I was successful:)
c) if not able to do so, to know exactly what has gone wrong

the alternative..... errrr, hello? BMWobbleYou? err my 1200 doesn't start...
Why Yes Sir, they all do that :augie :D so what is the problem?

and you reply......I've no idea...:blast

You're left trying to call directory enquiries in a foreign country..... :blast do you have the number? :blast doubt it! and make the request....:blast you may not be able to speak the language either :blast .....then try to arrange a flat top/trailer to come and fetch you :blast ....... and.....etc etc
pay through the nose (not in a position to haggle are you?) :blast , possible wait time which may mean an overnight hotel :blast , then might even lose your return ferry or channel tunnel ticket too :blast

Would you not rather know what the problem was?The decision, is, as always, a personal choice.

As it was, I was stopped for a total of 20 minutes. :bounce1
Simple. Got a '1200'? carry one of those! that's my 2p's worth

Back
Top Bottom