100gs Drive Shaft failures

BiG DoM

Reaction score
OK I am a 1150 guy but a not so web-literate friend of mine who owns a 100GS has had two drive shaft failures (he rides quite conservatively). He has heard of a mod or replacement is available
for this problem? Can anyone help on this topic?

You are probably talking about Eric Demant, he breathes on paralever drive shafts, not the cheapest but the rate your mate is getting through them a cost-effective measure I'd say.

Click on the search button above and put 'eric demant' or 'demant' in the box and it'll reveal more technical info and contact details, he's in Germany. :thumb

I think there's also a conversion to use the 1100 driveshaft. See the hpn site.

OK - not being an Airhead I did not know hwat a big problem this driveshaft thing is - the boards are full of stuff ... sounds like the European fix is to have it 'Eriched'. Not sure hear down South what the answer is other than regular lubing... have heard that
Demant adds grease nips but cannot see how this would be done without putting it out of balance?

BiG DoM said:
.. have heard that
Demant adds grease nips but cannot see how this would be done without putting it out of balance?

i believe the nipples are only screwed in when greasing the bearings, then holes are blanked off.

Try propshaft companies

Big Dom,

Eric basically welds up the sides of the drive shaft and then machine it down so you can change the bearings any time and it is hold in with a circlip i.e. like any normal 4x4/truck propshaft assembly.
Don't know where in SA you are based but there is numerous propshaft places around if you check in the yellow pages. Most of these guys will be able to recon the driveshaft with new bearings and if you explain to them what needs to be done machine and modify the existing shaft.

They will balance the shaft afterwards to make sure it is correct.

Hope this helps else send me an email.

Cheers
:gringo

Back
Top Bottom