1150 GS Adv. Questions, questions, questions!

AdyJ

I've decided that I need to have a ride on one of these beasties, so I'm arranging a test ride v. soon. I also have a couple of q's and would be interested in your views. So here goes:

1. I'm currently riding a barking mad Kawasaki ZX12R. Superb. The q here is, havenay of the GS Adv. owners here made the switch from something as mad? Also, given that the GS is an entirely different beast, do you miss anything from a full on road bike (apart from bucketloads of power)?

2. Prior to by ZX12R, I was riding a Dakar, which was great, apart from weedy front brakes (not a big issue when you get used to it!). How do the GS brakes compare with a) the Dakar and b) again a big road going four? (I guess here, I may be trying to compare apples and pears, but any info is good.)

3. ABS. Who has ABS and who doesn't on their Adv? It's something that I traditionally have been very wary of, but as BMW have had it on the GS for a good whil now, I guess it's now a very good system. Pros/Cons?

4. BMW top loading panniers. Robust? Worth getting, or should I opt for Zegas?

In essence, I want a bike that can go anywhere, do anything. Although I love my ZX12R, I can't have two bikes (unless I sell my house and live in a tent!), so I'm after something as cool as an Adv., but want someting with plenty more grunt thatn the Dakar. When I had the Dakar, I loved it in winter, but it just ran out of puff when the roads dried in the spring, and I longed for more power (hence from the sublime to the ridiculous ZX12R!).

Sorry for the long post!!

There are at least two of us who have swopped to a GS from a ZX12. I sometimes miss the world going blurry when I open the throttle but on the whole never looked back.

Go on you know it makes sense!!!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:

Hi AdyJ,
I've only owned a GS for a month now! But for what its worth:

1. Yes. I've had a few v powerful road bikes (not that I could do them absolute justice!). No problem really going to the GS - a different type of power, and diff ride. It has tons of torque, so I find myself using that instead of outright grunt like I did on road bikes.
I personally miss only the comfort - BUT this is mainly as I don't have my GS set up correctly (I need some screen work for buffeting, and some widget to further adjust the handlebars, plus a lower footpeg kit).

2.a. I had a 650GS, and the ADV brakes are waaaay better. They stop a bloody big bike really quickly.
2.b. Different sort of ride.... I don#t really use the brakes as much on the GS, and am not going any much slower!? But the brakes are comparible.

3. I tried to get without, however a deal came up. The ABS has already saved me I think (was tired on commute home). HAve not seen any cons except the weird feeling if you are braking hard and forced to roll over manhole cover - they just "let go" for a yard or so!!

4. Dunno.

Don't believe me though! Take a test ride and have fun finding out for yourself!

My last bike was a blackbird which was used to it's capabilities often when the traffic allowed and on tour of northern scotland that is very often. I usually ride with the same people when in a group and a couple of us had tried out the GS ADV on a static stand at the Scottish bike show earlier this year, I've always liked the bike but like you could only afford one and I wasn't selling the bird. Anyway this summer me and my mate came off big style he ended up getting helicotered to hospital and is still off work but will recover OK. The result being both bikes totalled.

After I looked around a bit I found a black GS ADV, never liked black bikes but this looked the dogs. The test ride was around the car park at the dealers ( less than 100m )and deposit paid returned and picked it up the next day.

Anyway to your questions

1 I dont miss anything apart from the bucketloads of power but my licence / job / house are much safer.

2 The bike stops with no concerns and is just as good as the bird if not better but this might have something to do with top speeds.

3 It is fitted with ABS which is a help and comfort with the state of the roads I commute on although I havent used it yet.

4 I have a top box which holds 2 helmets and that is enough storage for me and when it isn't I've got full soft luggage which I have never used the panniers as yet .

The thing you will notice straight away is the straight 4 smoothness the the boxer massage but this just adds charachter I think. I am very happy with the bike but AT times I still miss the bird but I had it for 5 years and I have only had the GS for 5 months. The only other thing is that if I am doing big distances I have to leave earlier and boy the roads are a different place early morning and you get to see more of the countryside as it passes at a more seadate pace.

Buy it and enjoy.

...have owned and often ride powerful"sports" bikes in todays conditions I tend to find that you end up with a "hurry up to slow down" riding style mainly due to the extremes in both categories that these machines have(ie awsome power and tremendous braking capabilities)..........I have ridden GS for 5 years out of choice and would currently not ride anything else including the new 1200....as the point is that you no longer hurry up to slow down but sustain a power and position second to none on the road....you are able to be consitently more aware of your ride due to the riding position and observations that you can have......braking stay clear of servo-abs (imho) as this can be a nightmare when on the drive/garage as without ignition on you have no brakes!!! in all honesty the ability to see more and the excellent engine braking means I hardly ever use the brakes so dont beat yourself up too much about them if you gety a good deal take it!.....oh and Zega boxes a must v.practical but bloody exspensive..............................oh and a GSA wont play "chicken" with you like a 12R does in the rain!!! enjoy :D

Mine is a 2003 Twin-Spark GS (not ADV) which I have owned for 16-months but I can pass on my own opinions on questions 3 & 4.

ABS.
Personally I think it is fantastic, I have been riding bikes continuously since I was a nipper and I have to say the ABS Evo2 brakes are the best I have ever come across. They are smooth, yet powerful when they need to be. Some people say they are too powerful but I say this, only pull the lever as far as you need, not as far as you have done on previous bikes (adapt!).
I agree with the previous post about the lack of braking when pushing the bike about (no ignition) but you soon get used to it.
There is a question about the reliability of the ABS pump but I won't comment until it affects me personally.

Adventure panniers.
I have these fitted and find them excelent. The Adventure panniers got a lot of bad press on this forum , some justified (hinges) and some certainly not!
I fit at least one every trip and I have to fit/remove them before use otherwise I can't get the bike in & out of the garage. As I go to work at 6AM then this could be a bit of a pain but they slip on in a couple of seconds.
I wrapped everything in a bin-liner for water-proofing for the first few months (force of habit after 20-years of Krauser ownership) but I don't do this anymore as I find them 100% waterproof whatever the weather (I use a couple of M&S coolbags as pannier-bags).
The main problem reliability wise seemed to be the hinges breaking but mine came pre-fitted with the retaining wires which stop the lids opening beyond 90-degrees and they have been fine. Some people say they have fallen off but I haven't experienced this and have to ask if they were seccured properly in the first place?
The frames are quite large but I actually used one once for carrying a bulky load (yes it was over 5KG but no they didn't break) so even they have their uses.
As I say, the are 100% waterproof, can be fitted/removed in a couple of seconds, carry most of my gear (ok for work but rallies require more carryng capacity) and they look good so they get my vote!

:D

montydog said:
......braking stay clear of servo-abs (imho) as this can be a nightmare when on the drive/garage as without ignition on you have no brakes!!!

Braking, if you want Servo-ABS, avoid nightmares(!) by switching on the ignition and having all the brakes you need (you don't have to start the engine, just let the self-diagnosis complete before you operate the brakes).

Thanks for the replies guys! All good stuff. I guess I'll need to experience the ABS for myself to dispell any of my own ill-conceived notions. Having mainly ridden fast road bikes for the past 18 (of my 20 year biking experience), moving to a large enduro (my brief 6-month foray with the Dakar not counted) is a considerable change in direction if I take it.

Anyway, all I need to do is sort out the date (probably 29th or 30th) to take an Adv. out for a play, and I'll know what I'm going to do!!!

AdyJ said:
Thanks for the replies guys! All good stuff. I guess I'll need to experience the ABS for myself to dispell any of my own ill-conceived notions. Having mainly ridden fast road bikes for the past 18 (of my 20 year biking experience), moving to a large enduro (my brief 6-month foray with the Dakar not counted) is a considerable change in direction if I take it.

Anyway, all I need to do is sort out the date (probably 29th or 30th) to take an Adv. out for a play, and I'll know what I'm going to do!!!

Ady

try it you´ll like it. The brakes, well no problems, they snatch at slow speeds thats about it.

Its a great all rounder. you can pootle about like Ming all day long or be a hero in the twisty mountain passes, like moi, whatever tickles your fancy.:D

bob

Spanish Bob said:
Ady

try it you´ll like it. The brakes, well no problems, they snatch at slow speeds thats about it.

Its a great all rounder. you can pootle about like Ming all day long or be a hero in the twisty mountain passes, like moi, whatever tickles your fancy.:D

bob

Snatch? Just grabby pads at low speeds, or problem due to servo rate-of-application?? (Just curious. The brakes on my ZX12R will stand it on it's nose if given more than a two finger grab at low speeds!!!!)

On the performance note, given that it's a fair old lump in terms of weight, how agile do you Adventure riders find it on the roads?

AdyJ said:
Snatch? Just grabby pads at low speeds, or problem due to servo rate-of-application?? (Just curious. The brakes on my ZX12R will stand it on it's nose if given more than a two finger grab at low speeds!!!!)

On the performance note, given that it's a fair old lump in terms of weight, how agile do you Adventure riders find it on the roads?

I could bullshit you, but the truth is that the brakes are a bit unsubtle es pecially atlow speed. Its is not the pads and I am not saying you stop on a sixpence. They just snatch. C est la vie.

I find the bike pretty agile. But I weigh 18 stone and Im over 6-3.

come down to barcelona and I´ll let you try mine! Its has ricky bars and WP suspension, which help as well. Prolly you should ask Ming he seems to view his a adv as a blade with engine bars

bob

AdyJ said:

Yeah my ZX12 did that too............mind you so does tha Adventure:D

not showing the pic cos its wearing out:D :D :D

Spanish Bob said:

come down to barcelona and I´ll let you try mine! Its has ricky bars and WP suspension, which help as well. Prolly you should ask Ming he seems to view his a adv as a blade with engine bars

bob

Very kind, I could do with a holiday...!!!

ming said:
Yeah my ZX12 did that too............mind you so does tha Adventure:D

not showing the pic cos its wearing out:D :D :D

Was out on it today, and had a 'wake up really quickly' moment as my tyre, cold as it was, even after half-an-hour in the cold (can you imagine), decided to spin up nicely out of a gentle bend with only one handful of throttle!? Dunlop D207RR? Not so grippy in December... ;-)

Awww, go on, show us the pic, or at least point to another posting of it....

had a full akroprovic on my zx12 used to spin up lots too ....

miss that a bit to be honest :(

but the proof for me is I have done twice as many miles on my ADV:D

bought a old fireblade for that though:D

but love my GS :confused: handling is good and your can turn it in a lot faster than you would expect for such a lump.

Enjoy your test ride:)

Attachments

• dscf0049.jpg
    dscf0049.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 286
ming said:
had a full akroprovic on my zx12 used to spin up lots too ....

Enjoy your test ride:)

A photocopy of my lovely machine, except mine has stock exhaust.

Left it at home this morning...

...ringing up today to sort out test ride. :)

Make sure you get it for at least three hours...it'll take you 20 mins to gorget that the indicators are 'different and interesting' and to stop noticing the beasty twitching when you tweak the throttle, then an hour to get into the groove a bit more.......after that, it'll all start making sense.

Seems obvious, but ride some roads you know well and see if you ride them faster on the GS, or if not faster, how much easier.

Then make sure you find some slippery bumpy crappy road and do that a few times....you'll soon be grinning ;)

My penny's worth. I had 2 Blackbirds, still desperately miss that engine. The BMW engine is agricultural to say the least, but with the GS ADV as previous replys have said, great torque, comfort and mean bas**rd looks. Also have the Aluminum panniers/top box, they work a treat. The ABS I hated until one wet morn I was bit sleepy and had that horrible staring at the side of a white van doing a u-turn feeling. I grabbed a handful of brake lever and expected the worst (wrong thing to do I know). Lots of judderiing and sort of bunny-hopping from the front end. When I opened my eyes, I was upright, I was safe. I will always have ABS on a bike from now on. :D

Back
Top Bottom