1250 GSA can't find key - BMW frustrating

Ok, was not aware if that ,
You're welcome, if you look above the rear wheel you should see a circle imbedded in the plastic mudguard where it's located - useful to know if the battery in your fob goes flat as that's what you put the plastic key against to start it.

Ok , thanks , 1290 on was up inside the upper fairing.

Ok , thanks , 1290 on was up inside the upper fairing.
On my RS it says to insert the plastic key in the gap between the pillion and riders seat but IIRC on my GS it said to put it against the circle on the underneath of the mudguard so maybe a good idea to check which way works for you.

Is it me - why oh why is the keyless so shite on BMW bikes - just give me a bloody key. Have had issue and tried x2 varta batteries in past 2 weeks. Each one has lasted 1 ride before giving the 50% warning. I have had this issue with Duracell in past so perhaps time to try energiser. Considering the quantity of people who have been having these issues since keyless was introduced BMW should hold their heads in shame that something thats mean't to make our lives easier is actually a PITA.

I continually get the 'key not range' message. BMW dealer has run diagnostics, changed the battery three times and now it has to go in again....once they've spoken to BMW HQ. Going on a long trip soon and currently have zero confidence in the bike. With previous main battery failure problems I'm beginning to wonder if the move from KTM was worth it - never had any problems despite what all the social media says. No one at the dealers seems to really care ... just lots of sucking through their teeth! Rant over.
I assume dealer is NOG? I had same and have not been back, bought several bikes from them in the past.

Never had this issue with BMW keyless systems but have with my Lexus. As others have said, Duracell don't seem to last or ar very inconsistent. Their original design was all about lasting longer and the trade off was slightly lower voltage the way they were designed, but the basic construction is the same for all alkaline batteries. Duracell used to be good, when they were made in France and the USA. However, late 1990's, they were acquired by Gillette, who were taken over by Proctor & Gamble in 2005, and after that, production was shifted to China, where the same rigorous quality procedures seem to have been dropped but their marketing claims remained the same. Most good battery producers will store alkaline for a period of a few months and check leakage or drain down and dispose/recycle those which don't pass muster (like Panasonic), only selling the tested ones. Cheaper Chinese made ones don't and often supermarkets sell a lot of rubbish as they bulk buy from China. I stick with Varta now for my car key fobs and will stick them them or Panasonic for my bike batteries. I'm convinced that a majority of keyless issues are down to the multitude of duff, cheap batteries flooding the market. They're false economy. For my work tools needing batteries, I stick with OEM rechargeable for the same reason. Cheap aftermarket ones don't last.

I assume dealer is NOG? I had same and have not been back, bought several bikes from them in the past.
Do you have anything else near where you store the key when riding? I narrowed any issue with mine down to 1. Use exact oem Varna battery and 2. My Keis heated vest wiring and controller are on left and interfered with it. Kept key in right pocket and never saw the message again.

Barry

Do you have anything else near where you store the key when riding? I narrowed any issue with mine down to 1. Use exact oem Varna battery and 2. My Keis heated vest wiring and controller are on left and interfered with it. Kept key in right pocket and never saw the message again.

Barry
Cheers Barry, nothing - zumo XT in cradle, no other controllers/wireless chargers etc. Just my Pixel8 phone in my pocket thats blue toothed to the zumo, no bluetooth to dash.

Cheers Barry, nothing - zumo XT in cradle, no other controllers/wireless chargers etc. Just my Pixel8 phone in my pocket thats blue toothed to the zumo, no bluetooth to dash.
Try deliberately phone in one pocket key in other, even swap both over.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom