1250GSA SOS?

It maybe standard now but apparently not 2 years ago when the OP created this thread :D
That`s right, it was a 300 quid option back then - or was supposed to be, i think i was on the cusp of it being included in the TE spec and was `tricked` into buying it...

I`ve used it once. When i got a puncture and needed recovery. The service i received was efficient and fuss-free.
The speaker on the handlebar mounted doo-dah was excellent but the microphone required me to talk right into it otherwise the call handler had difficulty in hearing what i was saying.

That`s right, it was a 300 quid option back then - or was supposed to be, i think i was on the cusp of it being included in the TE spec and was `tricked` into buying it...

I`ve used it once. When i got a puncture and needed recovery. The service i received was efficient and fuss-free.
The speaker on the handlebar mounted doo-dah was excellent but the microphone required me to talk right into it otherwise the call handler had difficulty in hearing what i was saying.

I had it on my 2018 GS TE ( It was an option then that I too didn't want but was on the bike that my then dealer got from Ocean) I found it to be a bit of a PITA back then as the coverage in Wales was patchy at best so it would fill the TFT was a big yellow warning square on virtually every ride, normally when I was on some twisty bit so I didn't spec it on the 1250. Hopefully it's improved since then as it's on my 1250RS if it ever arrives (it was due in the UK end of August) but it's currently under house arrest at the factory with no word from the mothership as to why or when it's going to be released which is a bit sh1t.

I`ve never had a warning message saying the service is unavailable so in that respect it has been perfectly reliable...

I also had it on my new GSA. When i said i didnt want it i got the same answer. I also have 1 year BMW accident / breakdown recovery. My concern is they will be pushing me to renew the SOS call service after this expires unless its an indefinite service? My guess it has to be linked to some sort of gps or phone network in order to work and that comes with a subscription.
It is a one off fee

It came as standard on my 1200 GSA and it certainly worked well as it reassuringly made contact when I dropped the bike whilst almost at a standstill. When I ordered my 40th Edition GSA I wanted the SOS but couldn’t get it as the bike was on run out And unavailable. Sadly it’s not available as a dealer fit option But it was a one time charge. Brilliant service.

Its eu law to be fitted on all cars sold within EU since 2018. Im sure it must be iminent to be mandatory on bikes.
It saved me well when I was knocked off the bike in Spain. Wouldnt have a bike without it now

Mine came with the bike and nothing was discussed about it. I dropped the bike at a stand still and it rang to a nice guy somewhere. I just said that I was ok and I had dropped the bike.

I didn't realise you could use it for breakdowns and punctures, bike is only 3 months old. That's handy to know if it is true.

I've had two notices, both in Wales, that the system wasn't connected and I should contact my service engineer next time it happens, but being in Wales I thought it was just poor signal as with phones, technology, reality and the 20th century.

I've had SOS on my last two bikes and so far haven't needed to use it, but as I'm planning to keep this Bike, would like to know what happens to assistance from SOS when you call on them once the three year warranty and Roadside assistance finish. Thanks.

I've had SOS on my last two bikes and so far haven't needed to use it, but as I'm planning to keep this Bike, would like to know what happens to assistance from SOS when you call on them once the three year warranty and Roadside assistance finish. Thanks.
The SOS is covered by a once only payment by the (current) owner, so as it was on your bike to start with you're covered without having to pay anything else for as long as you keep the bike. IIRC if you sell the bike and the new owner wants to keep the SOS function they then have to pay a 1 off payment to BMW.

This is what i`m thinking, too.
If it is standard fitment with all new GS`s from now on then the increased list price to allow for it should not be the same as the current `optional extra` cost.
I fear i have been told porkies, which is not condusive to a harmonious dealer/new customer relationship..
Great discount on a pre-reg grey TE at Vertu (Alan Jeffries) in Otley, £15,950, worth a call if you want a bike immediately.

The SOS is covered by a once only payment by the (current) owner, so as it was on your bike to start with you're covered without having to pay anything else for as long as you keep the bike. IIRC if you sell the bike and the new owner wants to keep the SOS function they then have to pay a 1 off payment to BMW.

I get that about the one time payment but what I want to know is, should I call them out using the SOS Button because of a Breakdown, will BMW still pay for the recovery back to a BMW Dealer's or would I be responsible for any or all recovery costs once my Bike's warranty has finished.

Back
Top Bottom