2007 R1200GS rear brake light switch

Kendo1

Reaction score
Hi all, bit of a strange one.
My 2007 R1200GSs rear brake is stuck on and my dash is only showing the time (albeit 2 hours behind), no warning lights, rev counter or speedo. So first thingies looked for is the rear brake light switch. According to the Haynes manual it should be attached to a bracket just above the brake pedal but it's not. I've searched all over the net and watched loads of YouTube videos and found no answer as to where it would be.
Can anyone help please?

A quick search

Is your rear brake stuck on? The title says its the brake light. The brake light serves both front and rear brake levers. Confused (easily, I admit :unsure: )

Clock issues are indicative of a failing battery - best to check the connections & if in any doubt, get it tested for CCA.

Is your rear brake stuck on? The title says its the brake light. The brake light serves both front and rear brake levers. Confused (easily, I admit :unsure: )

Hi all, bit of a strange one.
My 2007 R1200GSs rear brake is stuck on and my dash is only showing the time (albeit 2 hours behind), no warning lights, rev counter or speedo. So first thingies looked for is the rear brake light switch. According to the Haynes manual it should be attached to a bracket just above the brake pedal but it's not. I've searched all over the net and watched loads of YouTube videos and found no answer as to where it would be.
Can anyone help please?
Hi gelandestrasse,
No brakes are working perfectly. The rear brake light on constantly. I cant find any brake light switches anywhere. And there's no power (apart from the clock) to the instrument cluster.

Hi gelandestrasse,
No brakes are working perfectly. The rear brake light on constantly. I cant find any brake light switches anywhere. And there's no power (apart from the clock) to the instrument cluster.
Try disconnecting the plug into the instrument unit and check it's contacts are clean .. I had a little trouble with my average stuff resetting every ride a few years back. I think it had a bad contact, once checked and cleaned the block connector it never did it again.
You never know it could be that simple. As above check you battery too.
Have you checked the rear light unit and bulb too.

Hi gelandestrasse,
I found on my 2004 model (servo brakes) if the bike light was on constantly the ABS would not reset and I would go down to residual braking. I found the rear brake light wires were chafing on the frame and causing the light to come on. Fixed; ABS fine and brakes back to normal. But without a brake light switch (you should have one on the front at the lever - a microswitch?) there are no such cables to short, so you're in a different league.

I would still strongly suggest you remove the tank and bodywork and have a good look at the loom, especially at areas where is tied to the frame or goes around tight corners. If it is a +ve line chafed you will drain the battery, too (as well as the fire risk). Chafed looms have plagued all my 5 1200GS's over the years.

I found on my 2004 model (servo brakes) if the bike light was on constantly the ABS would not reset and I would go down to residual braking. I found the rear brake light wires were chafing on the frame and causing the light to come on. Fixed; ABS fine and brakes back to normal. But without a brake light switch (you should have one on the front at the lever - a microswitch?) there are no such cables to short, so you're in a different league.

I would still strongly suggest you remove the tank and bodywork and have a good look at the loom, especially at areas where is tied to the frame or goes around tight corners. If it is a +ve line chafed you will drain the battery, too (as well as the fire risk). Chafed looms have plagued all my 5 1200GS's over the years.

Hi Gelandestrasse,
I've removed the tank and the loom is in a bit of a mess.
In its early life the bike had electronic suspension I k ow this because the switch is and wiring is still there although the wiring has been altered. Bike now has standard suspension fitted. The fault lies somewhere between the mass of wires in the loom below the ignition switch and at the front of the fairing where the loom branches out to indicators, headlight and instrument cluster.
If I jiggle the wires ( back or front) the rear break light goes back to normal and all the dash starts to work again. So it's going to be a lot of trial and error to tody it up and get it back to normal.
Thanks for all your help.

This is an example of a chafe (yellow/red is front ABS sensor line)

Attachments

• IMG_7119.JPG
    IMG_7119.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 11
I cut the line and stripped back the insulation, and set them in a bath of vinegar (in the jar lid) overnight to get rid of the green stuff. Then I soldered in a new piece of wire and heat-shrunk it to provide continuous insulation. Then wrapped the loom with insulation tape, the 'fabric' sort....

Attachments

• 922EF4A8-C9DD-4346-B52F-894EED3A8DD8.JPG
    922EF4A8-C9DD-4346-B52F-894EED3A8DD8.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7125.JPG
    IMG_7125.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7126.JPG
    IMG_7126.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 9
I cut the line and stripped back the insulation, and set them in a bath of vinegar (in the jar lid) overnight to get rid of the green stuff. Then I soldered in a new piece of wire and heat-shrunk it to provide continuous insulation. Then wrapped the loom with insulation tape, the 'fabric' sort....
Yes just what I had in mind. Just need to trace the damage. Because of the previous suspension removal the loom is in a bit of a mess so may take a while longer. I've ordered some fabric tape too.

Back
Top Bottom