2013 Model GS TE - Advice Please

DeuceBG

Reaction score
I've been following another similar Thread regarding the LC Bikes but I'd also like to ask whether, (in the experience of those in the know), a 2013 LC TE with FSH and 40kmiles is likely to be a good investment, or whether all the horror stories I've heard are actually true??
I've heard about major Issues with the Electronics, early Water Cooling System and the dreaded Corrosion.
The Corrosion I can obviously look for quite easily but what about the other niggles?
My last GS was a 2008MU Adventure and it never put a foot wrong but this new Technology worries me a bit....

Check that the recalls has been done, buy on condition.

I've been following another similar Thread regarding the LC Bikes but I'd also like to ask whether, (in the experience of those in the know), a 2013 LC TE with FSH and 40kmiles is likely to be a good investment, or whether all the horror stories I've heard are actually true??
I've heard about major Issues with the Electronics, early Water Cooling System and the dreaded Corrosion.
The Corrosion I can obviously look for quite easily but what about the other niggles?
My last GS was a 2008MU Adventure and it never put a foot wrong but this new Technology worries me a bit....

The later heavier flywheel bikes are much better, 2013 models are a bit snatchy low down in traffic & prone to stall if you loose concentration at low revs setting off, gearbox is less notchy the younger you go as has been significantly tickled over the years. I had an early 2014 which developed gearbox issues & had a new engine / gearbox at about 4k under warranty (heavier flywheel 2015 unit) gearbox fully loosens up at about 10k. no other issues whatsoever for me despite the horror stories on here. Engines rattle like a bag of spanners off load when hot, nothing generally to worry about if you pick a cared for bike. lube the splines on both ends of the shaft drive if you have the ability to maintain - its not in the service regime but smooths the drive out so worth the effort

The later heavier flywheel bikes are much better, 2013 models are a bit snatchy low down in traffic & prone to stall if you loose concentration at low revs setting off, gearbox is less notchy the younger you go as has been significantly tickled over the years. I had an early 2014 which developed gearbox issues & had a new engine / gearbox at about 4k under warranty (heavier flywheel 2015 unit) gearbox fully loosens up at about 10k. no other issues whatsoever for me despite the horror stories on here. Engines rattle like a bag of spanners off load when hot, nothing generally to worry about if you pick a cared for bike. lube the splines on both ends of the shaft drive if you have the ability to maintain - its not in the service regime but smooths the drive out so worth the effort

Thanks for that.
I rode it briefly today and it seems to be fine at the minute. Certainly well Run-In at 40k.
Box was no better or worse than my old 08 as far as I could tell.
Currently riding a 2015 Versys which has been a great Bike thus far but the GS felt like a 250 in terms of Weight and Handling by comparison.
Quite unnerving at first actually....

Read the service history, if it is still on the original shocks they will be worn out, so factor in a rebuild. At 40k any problem would have surfaced by now.
Is it from a dealer, is there any warranty? It's worth getting your mechanic to check it over.

Read the service history, if it is still on the original shocks they will be worn out, so factor in a rebuild. At 40k any problem would have surfaced by now.
Is it from a dealer, is there any warranty? It's worth getting your mechanic to check it over.
Not much in the SH except that it was Sold n Serviced from new by Pidcocks.
ESA still working Ok at minute in as much as it goes up n down on the Button.
From my local Kwak Dealer where the Versys came from.
Usual 3 months Warranty but he's really good in looking after you even after it's run out.

Do you happen to know what Recalls were out on that Model / Year?

Why don't you give Pidcocks a call then? I'm not sure but the BMW dealer will be able to tell you mare about the bike.

Back
Top Bottom