AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGG.....

charlie batty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
..... i've got Norton anti virus, black ice firewall and pop-up stopper but i keep gettin this bleedin message:

"Program Error

svchost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows.
You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created"

Once this little gem has manifested itself i am unable to cut and paste anything or open any urls refered to in anything...

Most other functions are ok...also i can't disconnect from the net without either launching outlook express, which is configured to disconnect after inport/export of info, or re-booting...

ONLY rebooting resets everything??

Any ideas?

Did a search on 'svchost.exe' and it's in bloody everything?

...AND ...messes up smileys ...no smileys :(

svchost.exe

Hi Charlie,

You don't say what operating system you are using, however this manifests itself on the Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems.

It's mostly to do with the following: Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the WINNT\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging. Or so Microsoft lead us to believe!

Usually, if you download the latest service packs it will cure the problem.

Go to the Windows Update website to get them.

Regards, Roy.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Regardless of having Norton etc I am pretty certain you have the Blaster virus.

Symantec (who own Norton) have a tool to remove it as at link below. When I had the virus on one of my machines I needed to go into safe mode to fully remove it.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

You also need to download a microsoft patch as per guidance below :
------
8. Why am I getting errors associated with SVCHOST.EXE even if my computer is not infected with W32/Blaster-A?
If a vulnerable computer is probed by W32/Blaster-A, even if infection is not successful, the svchost service will fail. This will cause a variety of problems with other software.

To recover from these problems install the patch at Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026 and restart the svchost service.
-------

You will need to goto www.microsoft.com and search for MS03-026

If you need more info type the following into google search: w32.Blaster svchost

Hope this helps.

Mark

Failing that........

comp-hammer.jpg

........thanks for your help guys ...did all sorts ...thought turning up the protection level for incomming traffic on Black Ice to 'paranoid' had sorted it but still probs...

.....seam to have a problem downloading the microsoft updates...

...start to load them (or one) get the normal 'agreement' message and continue to download but never seam to get any indication of completion?....in fact i'm sure it don't happen...

...try again tomorrow if i get time...

Back
Top Bottom