Adventure-Motorcycling

Mike Saunders

Hi folks

Came across the above GPS dealer stand at the NEC.

Has anyone any experience of the above.

Also as a novice in respect to matters GPS and only needing a basic location/maps/directions system, any advice as to what's out there gratefully received.

Mike

:confused: :confused:

Bought my SP 111 from them. They don't seem to be as cheap as Costco, but will Costco phone Garmin when you're in Spain and ask for help for you, and get it? And then call you back on your mobile (in Spain) with the master reset procedure that Garmin don't sem to be too keen on giving out?

So I'd recommend them.

Mike Saunders said:
Hi folks

"Also as a novice in respect to matters GPS and only needing a basic location/maps/directions system, any advice as to what's out there gratefully received."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone tell me why you need a GPS on a bike? The last two GS riders to come to my place had them and ended up trying to cross a river at a bridge that was washed away in 1964. Gawd bless'em.

I had a GPS on my homebuilt plane which saved my life when I flew into fog at low level (major Tosser). They're wonderful for that.

It just seems like a lot of dosh for something rendered pointless by maps and roadsigns.

Ben

Re: Re: Adventure-Motorcycling

Can someone tell me why you need a GPS on a bike? The last two GS riders to come to my place had them and ended up trying to cross a river at a bridge that was washed away in 1964. Gawd bless'em. by maps and roadsigns.
:(____________________________________________________________________________

Because,........because,......because.........erm.........aahhh,......mmmmm,.........well,
I need something to look at on long journeys to pass the time away.

John

Re: Re: Adventure-Motorcycling

Ben said:
Can someone tell me why you need a GPS on a bike? The last two GS riders to come to my place had them and ended up trying to cross a river at a bridge that was washed away in 1964. Gawd bless'em.

It just seems like a lot of dosh for something rendered pointless by maps and roadsigns.

Ben [/B]

Re road washed away - surely that's a mapping problem? And if so then it's hard to blame the GPS.

Re pointless - try France and their beloved "toutes directions" for starters. Plus can you read a map at speed? And not get up tight when you miss a turning? When the better half and I are on the bike / in the car the GPS saves any arguments.

Re: Re: Re: Adventure-Motorcycling

John Armstrong said:
Re road washed away - surely that's a mapping problem? And if so then it's hard to blame the GPS.

"Re pointless - try France and their beloved "toutes directions" for starters. Plus can you read a map at speed? And not get up tight when you miss a turning? When the better half and I are on the bike / in the car the GPS saves any arguments.
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you're really talking. This sounds like a bona fide life saver to me. So what we're saying is that it saves marital rows. Reason enough I think. There again, you could say the wife can only be of value if she is attached by means of an intercom....and surely that's more pointless gagetry.

No intercom.......no rows.....no need fior GPS.

Ben :D

You could therefore make a valid case for saying "GPS gets me more sex". I might have to reconsider.

Ben:beerjug:

There are several reasons a GPS is better than a map. The best two are :-
1/ it shows EXACTLY where you are at all times.
2/ you can zoom into individual streets when going through towns/cities (can't do that with a map!)

Combine those two and you'll never be lost. You might not be where you want to be! But you will not be lost.

I use a GPS (basic model) for:

1) To know I'm going in the right direction and not piling up miles just to realise is the other way (compass)

2) To know were I 'am at any given point (location)

3) To know how far I need to go to my destination (ETA) and to calculate if the remaining petrol will be enough

4) To find fuel, food, acomodations anywere I go.

5) To find the bike after I left it parked. Was that corner? Or that one? Try Paris, or Prague for that

Enough reasons?

And yes, to know were to go, I still use an old fashion analogue, paper map

Why...

as a field engineer I use my GPS to find addreses with out continually having to stop to look at a map, I tell it where I want to go and it tells me how to get there. Ever since I have been using it I wonder how I manged before. Can now go direct to an adress with no messing about.

Its a great piece of kit..

Mick
:beerjug:

Got my GPS V earlier this year from these guys. Great deal as they price matched several I'd browsed for over the net. Plus, they're on 'our' side, unlike many other outlets. Use 'em or lose 'em.

Steve:)

Yosi said:
4) To find fuel, food, acomodations anywere I go.

[/B]

I've been getting a lot of good info on a different thread, but does the SPIII & Euro maps give you petrol stations? This is my friends & I's biggest bug bear ... In France ... on a Sunday .... In the middle of no where.

Come on you know it's a night mare!

Mark

markie_wales said:
I've been getting a lot of good info on a different thread, but does the SPIII & Euro maps give you petrol stations?
Mark

The SP111 certainly does; & saved my wife from running out of fuel on at least one occasion!
I was impressed to see that it directed me to a Tesco's (with filling station) when I did a 'fuel' search!

Back
Top Bottom