Aluminium Luggage

fish800

I have ordered an R1150GS Adventure with the aluminium luggage - does anyone know if that includes the waterproof (??) inner bags or are they and optional extra? _ Thanks all - I am a newbie to all this GS lark you know!

cheers - sod the luggage though - is the adventure as good as the gs and how much fun am I going to have on it?

fish800 said:
I have ordered an R1150GS Adventure with the aluminium luggage - does anyone know if that includes the waterproof (??) inner bags or are they and optional extra? _ Thanks all - I am a newbie to all this GS lark you know!

Fish800,
Dont leave anything of value in the panniers. I had my Arai stolen from a "locked" BMW topbox and have the cctv footage to prove it. The locks are plastic and can be forced with your fingers. But the box is waterproof !

fish800 said:
cheers - sod the luggage though - is the adventure as good as the gs and how much fun am I going to have on it?

sorry I don't know

fish800 said:

Nah, they're crap - don't rely on it to take you anywhere - in fact, go and cancel your order...

2828802-M.jpg

Welcome aboard fish;)

Mike

ps Bags are extra, but speak to Bilko - he's got a pair of Tesco's insulated zip bags (no, really :p) which fit exactly and would seem to be an excellent solution (if you can put up with the tesco logo:D)

Thank you for your help - am trading in my V-tech for the Adv, Am sure it's the right thing to do. Went out with with a couple of mates a few weeks back and had a blast. Got on a mates GS at lunch time and was quicker through the twisties than I can on the VFR. (Not blowing ones tuba but i,m an instructor, IAM, RoSPA gold etc. and don't hang about in the lanes on the VFR - but F**K ME!! - that gs was awesome!) :D :D :D :D

Marks and Spencers insulated bags fit ...

....just as well as the Tesco's ones and you definitey get a better class of dirty look from pretty receptionists on arrival in posh work locations.

No soft bags are included in any B*W specified aluminium pannier deal. Be sure to make sure though that have the kludge wire fitted. (The kludge wire is a strap that the B*W wingeneers designed to stop the lids whanging over the detent position and cracking the inadequately engineered plastic hinges.)

Actually the cases are marginally pretty boy in total effect, marginally useful for carriage of goods, not frankly big enough. OK on the onable-offable front and OK for waterproofness. They'll be hard to keep pretty however and will not "patinate" well I fear.

If I had my options over again I'd go see Vern and not buy the B*W ones ...No-sir!

Nah theyre shite in fact mine is so bad Im thinking of giving up biking altogether - especially the rock hard fast as you like silver ones. :D

the cases are vey good on the other hand lots of reports of the opening whilst one the moving and riping the lids off. apparently they is a risk that they may not be 100% waterproof with no lid. search the forum.

BMW are a very generous company I am certain that they will give you the cases for free rather than sell them to you as an extra, which is what they do now.

The inner-bags are very much an extra cost option and don't come with the panniers (handy things though at a price).

The Adventure panniers are 100% waterproof in normal use, the only time I manage to get any water in mine is when I am cleaning them and hose them down with the water hitting the lip side-on (even then it is only a dribble), when traveling in the rain I have yet to experience any water ingress whatsoever.
This weekend for instance we had strong-winds and heavy cloud-bursts but everything remained dry (I still wrap everything in a bin-liner but that is through force of habit and also to let me lift everything out in one bundle, guess the inner-bags would do exactly the same job but old habbits die hard).

The old problem of the hinges breaking is no-longer a problem as long as you have the straps fitted, I bought my panniers at the end of last summer and the straps were already fitted but others on this forum have bought panniers since and the straps were not fitted, very strange.
I had made up some spare straps for anyone who wanted some but have now sent them out, if anyone else was interested they are more than welcome to a set and they only take 10-minutes to fit using existing holes.

Yes the locks can be forced but to be perfectly honest, in my experience you could get into any locked pannier/topbox if you wanted to using only a lever and/or a pair of cutters whether they be like my old Craven or Krauser items or the latch type with small padlocks fitted. The only answer is never to leave anything of value on the bike, this is certainly what I have always done during my travels.

Alan:D

Mine didn't have straps in them. I went to a dinghy chandler and bought stainless steel wire,( They crimped loops at each end for me.), some s/s fittings and fitted them in 30 mins.

One leaks when hosed and t'other doesn't.

Pass the silicone.

David

Yes!

Yes they do inner bags.. Pretty well made but kinnda expensive at £50 smackers a bag... Only prob with the Alloy panniers is the hindges have an indenance to break if you let the lid go!

Gonna try find Brass ones!

Got my black GSA last week with alu panniers and topbox. I think there great but only time will tell. FYI, they came with both the wire retaining strap and the extra bolt on clamps. These babies just aren't coming off!

Also, I swapped from a Aprilia Futura, and I cant help thinking that I'm going faster on the GS :p There is much fun to be had when you can see over all the other traffic and hedges etc.

BTW, black rules!

inner bags

get yourself down to focus do it all, they have cool bags at £4.99 which are a perfect fit for the adv panniers,look at previous threads and you will find a picture of these bags. ps tescos dont do theirs anymore and the focus ones are tougher and nicer looking !!!

The focus bags are the business ....

Just bought another set for an Adv riding mate here in Swizzy .... how can BMW charge 50 GBP!!!

I need retaining wires ..... !!!

Hi Fish,
No they don’t and everyone is right the hinges and locks break real easy.

Suggest you get a stainless wire from the box to the lid to prevent them from going over to far and snapping the hinges off (bitter experience speaking), thinking about it new panniers have them fitted now as standard (according to Mr BMW).

Regarding the inner bags, If you have an Aldi's store near you pop in and look for there boot bag, its shower proof, good zips, handles and it fit's a treat and it's cheep, bout £5 bag. :D

Hope this helps, also i think theres another thread on here somwhere with more suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom