And after warranty

rhodda

During the initial two year warranty period BMW offers both a parts and labour warranty and a roadside assist service that includes homestart and travel in Europe. I am looking to buy a nearly new GS/Adventure and wonder if users could advise how effective this service is and more importantly what is the best policy to put in place after warranty ends. Is it worth extending the BMW arrangements?

The European aspect is quite important - to cover some weekends and either two one week trips or one two or three week trip.

I buy my bike insurance from Carole Nash as the policy has a Mondial Assistance European breakdown policy included. The premium was almost the cheapest too.

Carole Nash click here

My bike only came with a 12 month BMW warranty as it is a 2000 model. I have not bothered with any extra cover. The only part replaced outside the warranty has been a rear caliper and BMW paid 50% of that as a goodwill gesture.

Still on its original tire as well and I bet you saved the last dribble of Finelec incase it ever went again. Never seen a Macrame tire before. You sure the caliper was,nt shagged cos you forgot to change the pads 20k ago and the pistons have been grinding into the disc.

rhodda said:
The European aspect is quite important - to cover some weekends and either two one week trips or one two or three week trip.
The BMW Asistance is £95 per year (was last year) but you get more for your money than most other breakdown services being offered. (It's more than just breakdown recovery). Send for details and see what you get for your money, and then decide. As for the extended warrenty, I have never felt the need for this, as BM are usually good at the so called "good will gesture". I know this from experience.
John:D

As for the extended warrenty, I have never felt the need for this, as BM are usually good at the so called "good will gesture". I know this from experience.

According to the latest newsletter from Sawbridgeworth, with the arrival of the 2 year warranty, the goodwill gestures are becoming a thing of the past.

Bob

BMW Assist

This I can recommend, in Finland in may last year, with a mate also on his gs, he dropped it on smooth tarmac, the bike was totalled and he smashed his shoulder blade, we were near the turn off to Murmansk. BMW assist were great, the lady in uk asked what we wanted not what they would give, result 1st class hospital treatment, four star hotel, flights from nearest aiport to helsinki the home to uk. thus we both have continued cover this year.

With the 2 year warranty and option to buy an official BMW warranty until the bike is 10 years old, BMW are reducing the scope of their goodwill service. It does still exist however, and most dealers now have a direct internet link which means in most cases if you go to your dealer with a bike under 3 years old and feel you have a genuine issue, they can make a claim and get an almost instant response. Not all BMW dealers offer the official BMW warranty which includes the recovery service.

Back
Top Bottom