Autocom direct.

• Thread starter Deleted account W
  • Start date

Deleted account W

I've just placed an order for a full Autocom setup.

I wanted Rider to Pillion, GPS, mobile phone and mini-disc with the option of radar detector and bike to bike intercom in the future.

Rather than make a hash of working out what I needed using their utterly confusing catalogue I rang them. (01926 431249)

I spoke to a lady called Kerry who wins my customer service award for the year. She asked what I wanted to do with the thing and what phone/GPS I had, and then told me exactly which leads and kit I'd need. (They have some bits that aren't in the catalogue)

She gave me a price and said I could go to a dealer with the info or order direct.

No P&P and guaranteed next day delivery.

Sorted.

:)

not suprised

i had a dodgy headset - worse because it was for an open face lid.
sent it off on a monday by express post (from Dublin) got it back from UK on the friday - better than new (heavier cable and better shrink wrap on connections).
cost; nothing because i had bought it less than a year ago and as far as they were concerned, still under guarantee...
and a little note in packaging saying "what we sell we service"

yes - they are costly. yes - they are the best.
eM

I ordered this kit 1pm yesterday, postman delivered it 8am this morning.

Any advice on fitting it before I dive in blind?

Where should I stick the unit, do you need to get to the volume controls every time you ride or do you set it then hide it away under the seat?

Where's the best place for the pillions socket?

Cheers,
Roger.

Whatton said:
Where should I stick the unit, do you need to get to the volume controls every time you ride or do you set it then hide it away under the seat?

Roger

Here's my installation:

r1150gsautocomradioinstallation.jpg

You'll need to fiddle with the VOX setting when you first get going - be warned, it is very sensitive!

You'll also want to find a suitable volume setting on the bike-to-bike radio when you get it (you should go for it now! But don't buy from Autocom as numerous dealers will sell you the very same unit for £££s less!).

But, once you have established your settings, you rarely need to access the units.

Greg

thanks for the advice, i already have a pair of radios (audioline pmr500's) which I'll try out later. I just want to get the basics up and runnig first.

Cheers.

Autocom are spot on, had a problem with mine a bit crackly, phoned them up they sent out a complete set of leads and good instructuions free of charge, top company!

PS any one else with a pro 7 early type i.e plugs without flutes in the strain releif and yours is not quite their with sound quality, then worth giving them a call.

Fitted and working. Just got to fiddle with the knobs. Phone, minidisc, GPS and rider to pillion all work fine.

I'm wired for sound :)

Which set have you got, PRO 7? If so, you can get a 101+102 cable and plug a Kenwood TK3101 into the thing, and feed it from the autocom...

I used to have a set of Kenwoods with headsets, but that lacked the volume boost and noise cancelling that autocom can add to the set. I could get a sweet deal on a PRO-M1 set, but that one uses the old autocom cables, so getting replacements would be a bitch.
A PRO 7 + TK3101 and all the cable would fetch something like 700 euro per bike...

So I delved a little deeper and came up with the MIP-200 by a company called IMC. One box with integrated PMR, can also be used as an intercom with rider and pillion. 300 euro per bike.

I still have time to check out other options, but the MIP-200 looks good to me.

so how much did it cost all in then? cos i want something like that or a nice second hand set (1 or two days old :)

Whatton said:
I've just placed an order for a full Autocom setup.

I wanted Rider to Pillion, GPS, mobile phone and mini-disc with the option of radar detector and bike to bike intercom in the future.

Rather than make a hash of working out what I needed using their utterly confusing catalogue I rang them. (01926 431249)

I spoke to a lady called Kerry who wins my customer service award for the year. She asked what I wanted to do with the thing and what phone/GPS I had, and then told me exactly which leads and kit I'd need. (They have some bits that aren't in the catalogue)

She gave me a price and said I could go to a dealer with the info or order direct.

No P&P and guaranteed next day delivery.

Sorted.

Re: Re: Autocom direct.

TUNED IN said:
so how much did it cost all in then? cos i want something like that or a nice second hand set (1 or two days old :)

I got the Active 7 Smart (kit 3), an extra set of headphones and mike for the wife, the GPS lead, a splitter box for splitting the phone output between phone and gps and a hands free apaptor plug for my nokia delivered next day for £234.

The quality of the kit is good and the cables ard plugs are rugged.

:)

Re: Re: Re: Autocom direct.

Whatton said:
...the cables ard plugs are rugged.

That is unless your missus dangles her cable onto the back of the exhaust........ melted straight through inside of 10 miles :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Autocom direct.

judge said:
Well lets just hope you weren't planning on going down the bike-powered bike-2-bike route as this is the only place the Active 7 is lacking. :(

Err. my Active 7 Smart runs my Icom FS22R OK. Special lead from Autocom that included the battery eliminator. That's with 'phone and MP3 connected too.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Autocom direct.

judge said:
Well lets just hope you weren't planning on going down the bike-powered bike-2-bike route as this is the only place the Active 7 is lacking. :(

Looks like I could be buying lot's of AAA batteries for my Audioline pmr's, but I don't think I'll be riding in groups using bike to bike that often. :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autocom direct.

Mucky Helmet said:
Err. my Active 7 Smart runs my Icom FS22R OK. Special lead from Autocom that included the battery eliminator. That's with 'phone and MP3 connected too.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Now today I spoke direct to Sam Wray at Autocom and he confirms (and this is the second time he's told me this) that the Active 7 smart will NOT, so if you are definately running as you say, an Active 7 smart with 'special' lead from Autocom to eliminate the battery of the Icom/Kenwood, might I trouble you for the part numbers as I want to complement the Pro7 Sport on my 1150GS with an Active 7 on my PD if I can and I want the full complement of bike-powered bike2bike, GPS, Phone and Music - pillion options not required :thumb

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autocom direct.

Andy

All I know is mine works. Below is a photo of the Icom connected to the Autocom with me singing in my helmet to get the Tx light to show. The second photo shows the reverse of the Icom and how the lead is attached. I don't know what Autocom part number it is, I asked for the Icom lead when I bought it and that's what I got. You're welcome to pop round and try it if you want.

HTH

Attachments

• icom01.jpg
    icom01.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 217
From behind - ooh err...

The lead itself......

Attachments

• icom02.jpg
    icom02.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 214
Thanks Mucky,

On Friday I am taking my Icom with battery eliminator lead into an Autocom dealer on Friday whereupon I will attempt to connect said item to an Active 7 Smart which is on their demonstrator, if it works you win a pint and Autocom's Sam Wray a kick up the 'arris :D

Thanks for the offer though :thumb

p.s. where't the photo proving its an Active 7 smart and not a sneaky Pro7 Sport ;)

Just for you........

oh doubting Thomas.

:p

Attachments

• smart.jpg
    smart.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 192

Back
Top Bottom