Autocom in 2008 GS

ratboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hope I'm not repeating here but have just fitted my Autocom to my new 2008GS and have a couple of observations that may help.

On my previous two GS's the Autocom unit had to be attached to the handbook bracket at the rear of the seat which was far from ideal. On the new bike the tool tray is slightly bigger and deeper and makes an ideal place for the unit to sit. As there are now no fuses under the tool tray there is plenty of room to fit the GPS block and a Bluetooth adaptor. The whole process was much easier.

Also having considered it for a while I have now fitted my Kenwood in the topbox. I drilled a hole, cut the radio extension lead, passed it through the hole, soldered the wires, covered each one in a tiny heat shrink wrap and then covered all six in a large shrink wrap. Maplin sell a cheap cable exit gland with a sleeve that makes sure the exit hole is waterproof. So far seems to work perfectly.

Also

Also should have mentioned the rear of the auxiliary socket on the new bike is in the tool tray so in a perfect position for taking the power.

the Autocom unit had to be attached to the handbook bracket at the rear of the seat which was far from ideal

I assume you mean rear of tank but why far from ideal. The bracket and space are no use for anything else.

I assume you mean rear of tank but why far from ideal. The bracket and space are no use for anything else.

Yes did mean rear of tank. Never happy with mine in that position. Could be because it was an earlier model and a bit bigger but found you had to be careful or else the seat touched the plugs when you sat on it. (Maybe my weight problem) Seems to me flat in the tool tray is neater and more out of the way and of course close to the repositioned socket. (Hopefully BMW have sorted the problem with the socket not liking anything non BMW. To date no problem) I agree on a pre '08 bike that the best position is the hand book holder or whatever that bracket is for.

Power ~ AutoCommm on '08 GS

Just looking to install my autocomm on my new shiny '08GS. I'm a newbie here....1st GS ........have been reading stuff 'bout problems with powering Autcomm of the back of the accessory socket.....the Canbus shutting the socket down.......is this still a problem or can I safely hook it up to the back of the accessory socket.

This was a problem with th GS's around a year or so ago and was actually a software problem with the GS's nothing do with our systems as BMW customers were having the same problems with their heated clothing not even running our systems etc. So you will be fine wiring the live side of your system to the red/green wire feeding the auxiliary power socket, the earth is ran direct to the bikes battery.

Rich :beerjug:

Hope I'm not repeating here but have just fitted my Autocom to my new 2008GS and have a couple of observations that may help....

Mines gone under the tooltray as well.

Also the holes in the black side tank panels make a nice place to run the lead out from :thumb

I put mine under the front of the seat near the bracket, but have also done the seat bar mod that makes more space in that area. (sure the mod has been posted on here). Also wired to red/green off aux socket with no problems.

06 GS1200ADV

Back
Top Bottom