B()ll()x! Broken again!

littleredrooster

Reaction score
Returning home from a meeting of fellow GSers last night, bike developed a major transmission fault. Initially felt as if gearbox was trying to select 2 gears at once under power, but does it in more than one gear. Crawled the last 12 miles home at 20mph without drama.

Major noise/intermittent vibration comes on under power, felt through the footrests, and seems to be trying to lock the rear wheel - triggered by rear suspension movement. Thinking about it in bed afterwards(!), could be something in the bevel or driveshaft (bearings?, U/Js?).

Anyone had anything similar - any thoughts???

Russell

Yeah, saw that a while ago - mine falls outside the dates mentioned. Will see what SPC find and report back.

Sorry to hear it Colin . . . good to meet you last night.

littleredrooster said:
Returning home from a meeting of fellow GSers last night, bike developed a major transmission fault. Initially felt as if gearbox was trying to select 2 gears at once under power, but does it in more than one gear. Crawled the last 12 miles home at 20mph without drama.

Major noise/intermittent vibration comes on under power, felt through the footrests, and seems to be trying to lock the rear wheel - triggered by rear suspension movement. Thinking about it in bed afterwards(!), could be something in the bevel or driveshaft (bearings?, U/Js?).

Anyone had anything similar - any thoughts???

Er Lill' red

when was yer bike built then 'cos mine is just outside the dates on the recall, and I have recently gained a vibration problem on sep/oct 2001 bike http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6248

me starting to worry now.........

Sorry to hear about this me old mucker. Not having a lot of luck with this one. Keep ya chin up :D

PS: Got the parcel, nice surprise. Thank you very glad!:D

Aaahh stop winging....... they will fix it for you. New short engine, new gearbox, its gonna be like a new bike when you have finished.

Lets not do a "Greg" (whoe, whoe, and thrice whoe - me indicators have gone off, I'll have to sell the bike) Perlease!

you probly thrash it to much. take it easy,ur bike will lasst allong time.

"you probly thrash it to much."

Ha! Been looking into your crystal ball, again, Isaac?

Ridden with spirit, I think is the phrase, not thrash. Engineers don't thrash things. Anyway, a modern machine should have the ability to withstand a thrash, in your own words. Come to think of it, this bike's never yet seen the red line! Tend to use the mid-range grunt rather than revving it.

SPC collected it earlier today (technically yesterday - just noticed the time!). Will see what they find.......

SPC collected the bike Tuesday pm and gave it a test ride. Nothing.

Various bods at SPC have now ridden the bike for ~120 mls without being able to replicate the fault. They are not suggesting it is a figment of my imagination, but are reluctant (understandably) to commit a load of labour time to stripping and investigating the transmission.

For my part, I know the graunching and locking-up was real, but when they cannot get the same symptoms to recur, WTF do I do next????

I really do not want to ride the bike in a potentially dangerous state (transmission lock-ups=fall off) but when the fault is intermittent, what then?

Short of invoking the Sale of Goods Act (Not of Merchantable Quality) and asking for a refund, any ideas what to do next?

Panzer Patrol came up with something really useful, but anyone else got opinions?

Getting more & more pissed off with this (bear in mind that it's already had a new short motor).....................

Rooster
Go down there yourself-ride it and try to replicate problem.When it does it stop asap and let them come to pick you up to recover bike.
Seems like the only way if they can't find it.

Rooster,

Whereas they may be reluctant to strip the gearbox, I think you've got to insist that they do. Tell them that you are not prepared to ride the bike again until the fault is identified and rectified. Tell them that you are not being an awkward customer but do not feel it is safe to ride until it's fixed. Their reluctance is probably based on the fact that, if they strip it and still can't find a fault, they get to pay the labour bill. If a fault is found then BMW GB pay the bill.

If you get no joy from the service dept, ask to see the General Manager and put your point to him. If you were alleging that the brakes had failed once then you'd expect them to fully investigate and dismantle the braking system until it was fixed, wouldn't you? In those circumstances you wouldn't ride it away hoping it wouldn't recur - you shouldn't be expected to now.

MikeO:)

Just got the bike back this morning, not had a chance to ride it yet.

Diagnosed as a brake fault - new rear disc, pads, master cylinder....hmm, not so sure on this one meself.

Anyway, bike has been extensively test-ridden and no further problems found.

We have a soul full of hope (as opposed to the lesbian in the bath who has.....)

Interesting. So they changed all the rear brake system, got to ask why???

Diagnosis was seized rear master cylinder which caused rear brake to bind and trigger ABS when it got hot. Gotta say that juddering frequency was about right, but would you notice that rear brake was binding to the point of triggering ABS - I thought I would.

Hope I'm proved wrong!

Soul full of hope (sorry, done that before!)

Back
Top Bottom