Battery change

Wardy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys, its new battery time, what's the preferred choice, lithium, or good old fashioned led acid? Your thoughts gratefully appreciated as always. Cheers steve.

Ive just stuck a NOCO lithium on my GS

First start was impressive, - now on an extended off period to see how it copes with being left

an Exide AGM battery for my R1200RS cost under £40 last year from Tayna and for me, is the sweet spot in performance versus value for money

My '21 R1250R wouldn't start a couple of days ago, not even a click from the starter motor (it lives on a BMW charger), this is the second time its done this in about two months.I called BMW assist out to it ( again) the technician tested the battery (again!) apparently this time the battery needed replacing, its just over 2 years old!, surprise, surprise the BMW battery warranty is 2 years not 3 like the rest of the bike!.He had a replacement with him,£175 please.
I declined the offer and ordered a YUASA AGM from Sportsbikeshop, delivered free next day for £58.95.

Cheers for the response guy's, not sure on lithium have heard some nightmare problems using them, also some good, especially weight wise. Still undecided, but leaning towards my favourite yuasa, always been good from my experience, and a reasonable on price.

Cheers for the response guy's, not sure on lithium have heard some nightmare problems using them, also some good, especially weight wise. Still undecided, but leaning towards my favourite yuasa, always been good from my experience, and a reasonable on price.
Link to the Nightmare problems please ?

Have had a lithium on one of my bikes for almost 3.5years , no problems whatsoever. The bike is left unused for very extended periods of time but hooked up on a battery tender (except a couple of times when I forgot) . This is extremely important with a Lithium battery if left fitted on the bike as they can dischargE quite weekly if there is any drain , if removed from the bike they still hold a charge for a very long time.

Have had a lithium on one of my bikes for almost 3.5years , no problems whatsoever. The bike is left unused for very extended periods of time but hooked up on a battery tender (except a couple of times when I forgot) . This is extremely important with a Lithium battery if left fitted on the bike as they can dischargE quite weekly if there is any drain , if removed from the bike they still hold a charge for a very long time.
My Motobatt could spin the GS's over after being left for 2 weeks or so, so i'd expect similar.

Pretty sure the only aftermarket accessory fitted goes to sleep / shuts down with the rest of the bike , well i'll find out on Weds

Its supposedly a smart Lithium, and has technology built in to disconnect its self, if the current being drawn gets below a certain point

I just swapped mine for another Yuasa lead acid, didn’t see the need to spend more
That’s what I did last year on my big bike another Yuasa YTZ14S , not that big and heavy but that model is bloody dear . However , the original one lasted 8 years despite me ’killing’ it 2 or 3 times so OK value in my book . It became lazy in extreme cold weather one weekend whilst away so I swapped It.

My Motobatt could spin the GS's over after being left for 2 weeks or so, so i'd expect similar.

Pretty sure the only aftermarket accessory fitted goes to sleep / shuts down with the rest of the bike , well i'll find out on Weds

Its supposedly a smart Lithium, and has technology built in to disconnect its self, if the current being drawn gets below a certain point
One of my buddy's had lithium on a new ajp, it burst into flames, and smoldered for half hour. Took out wireing loom, battery box, etc. That was the worst, others have had them and needed constant charging, if left, others said nah never have another, but one guy said there brill, light and powerful. Think I'm still going yuasa.

Right Its been left for a week,
Voltage - 13.3v

span it over no issues , and started fine (no long second)

Charging at 14.4v

so far so good

I like motobatt, which is an AGM battery with decent CCA. Not expensive either.

However, checkout Tayna batteries to see what they have got, as I have had other AGM batteries from them at <£30 with similar performance and guarantee as per the motobatt.

Lithium - UI've got one on my 449 but not really bothered on the G650x - weight is less of an issue. I've also had slow cold starts from the lithiums on the 449 as you have to 'warm them up' sort of thing

the battery I took off my Xcountry it was 10 years old and only just starting to slow down. I replaced it with the same ( odyssey ) and the bike got left in storage for 8 months over winter not plugged in and it started up no problem, very impressive.

When I bought my XCountry it had a relatively new lithium battery in it but it was forever letting me down when the temperature dropped to anything less than 5 degrees. I also had an issue with hot starts but assumed it was caused by the original decompression cam. I replaced the battery with an AGM and it’s been perfect ever since (including hot starts) so I can only assume the Lithium battery was faulty.

Back
Top Bottom