Battery Charging

Invicta Moto

Reaction score
Is it possible to charge the battery through the accessory socket on the 1150? I ask as the battery has died in this cold weather sitting in the garage and there's eff all to turn the motor over....

I can charge my car that way.....

Phew. I don;t have any power in my garage so need to get the bike close to the house... might wait until it stops snowing and warms up a bit.....

Cheers.

P.S. Anyone tried one of those solar chargers they knock out in Halford's? If they work it may be a good idea for anyone with a garage in a block with no leccy!

MasterDabber said:
This thread may help. It gives details of the cable/connector required.

Will an optimate act as a charger in the traditional way or as a trickler only?

Like I said I have no power in my garage otherwise I'd use my Czech trickler that kept my Kettle's battery in full fettle for a long Czech winter a few years back!

I need more of the swift kick up the arse sort of charge!

Invicta Moto said:
Will an optimate act as a charger in the traditional way or as a trickler only?

I need more of the swift kick up the arse sort of charge!

What Optimate themselves say is:

OptiMate III - the unique 5-step battery optimiser specially designed for modern 12V starter batteries from 2.5 to 28 Amp-hours capacity. Ideal for motorcycles, ATVs, jet-skis etc.

Since it's launch in 1995, the unique OptiMate has received wide acclaim as an outstanding compact automatic charger, maintainer and recoverer for 12V starter batteries of motorcycles, ride-on mowers and similar seasonal vehicles, as well as for sealed lead-acid gel and deep-cycle batteries used in back-up power supply applications.

Now OptiMate 3 takes the proven OptiMate interactive charging programme another step further – features include:

· Diagnosis of deep-discharge or light sulphation; automatic recovery phase with precisely controlled parameters to recover many neglected batteries even from as low as 2 Volts. In really difficult cases the interactive programme even gives the battery a subsequent "second shot".

· Multi-stage automatic charging programme monitors and controls both voltage and current while charging the battery to ensure optimum charge for the battery, without any risk of over-charging. OptiMate 3 is totally safe even for long-term connection.

· Automatic double-check ensures that the battery is fully charged before switching over to maintenance (float charge) mode. If the check indicates that the monitored signals suggesting full charge were premature, the charger reverts to the main charging stage and continues this procedure until the battery is definitely fully charged.

· Hourly checks (in maintenance mode) for any signs that the battery is not able to hold its charge or that it is being drained by something connected to it. If all is well, the green LED indicates after the first of these hourly checks and continues to do so unless something subsequently causes the battery to fail a check. Should this occur the red LED will indicate a "suspect" condition but the charging circuit will continue to support the battery until disconnected.

· Automatic cancellation of charging programme when mains power fails. On restoration of mains power the battery is automatically re-assessed and the charging programme appropriate to the battery status is immediately restarted.

· Automatic resetting of charging programme in case of accidental loss of contact between charger and battery terminals. If this happens, the circuit will automatically sense the fact and within 7 seconds it will disengage - the charge programme will start afresh on reconnection.

· OptiMate 3 is totally automatic and fully protected against user errors. There are no switches. Short-circuiting the charger output resets the programme, without sparks or blown fuses. Affordable, compact, intelligent and forgiving of errors, OptiMate 3 is the perfect tool for regular or long-term maintenance of batteries not in daily use.

The REAL & unique 5-step battery optimiser specially designed for all modern 12V starter batteries from 2.5 to 28 Amp-hours capacity.

Thanks Dabber. Will think of buying one, in the meantime I have sorted through the packing cases of kettle bits in the garage and found my old charger..... hacked off the clips and have about fitted an RS plug to go in the socket on the 1150... but which wire goes where....?

New thread for this very subject:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16003

Invicta Moto said:

P.S. Anyone tried one of those solar chargers they knock out in Halford's? If they work it may be a good idea for anyone with a garage in a block with no leccy!

No, but they're cheaper in Maplins.....there's a big one in Thurrock and i think theres one in MEdway somewhere...either the city airport site or mebbe in Chatham....they have several types.

If ya cant get to one, lemme know...I go to Thurrock a lot and i can grab some details.

Or look online..they might have the info there.

:)

Invicta Moto said:
Thanks Dabber. Will think of buying one, in the meantime I have sorted through the packing cases of kettle bits in the garage and found my old charger..... hacked off the clips and have about fitted an RS plug to go in the socket on the 1150... but which wire goes where....?

New thread for this very subject:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16003

I see Paul has already replied to you on this.... happy wiring!

Back
Top Bottom