Battery failed- need advice on a new one

pips

After 1 week of happy riding on my new bike, the battery failed yesterday while I was getting fuel, leaving me stuck at a petrol station in Reading (I live near Brighton) for 3 hours, and having to get a lift back with my bike in the back of a van.

It seems the battery has totally died- the recovery bloke got it started, but it was losing charge (he only left it turning over at low revs, though, so my boyfriend has suggested that might be causing the problem) and he said I shouldn't ride off on it because if I had to wait in traffic it would likely die again. Great.

What would be a good battery to replace it with? I don't live near a BMW dealer, and spoke to the one in Reading yesterday, who quoted me £80 for a new battery, not including fitting, and £80 for the fitting, which is more than a little pricy. Obviously I'd like something that'll last well- I don't mind paying a wee bit more for it.

My bike is an r850 GS from 2000; the battery which just died is the original one.

I searched for battery, but couldn't find much.

thanks,

Jane

£80,- sounds like easy money for the dealership. It can be done within 15 mins, and that's including drinking a cup of coffee, walking to the warehouse, unpacking the battery etc.

£80,- for a battery including fitting it and disposal of the old one seems more reasonable to me...

pips said:
£80 for a new battery, not including fitting, and £80 for the fitting, which is more than a little pricy.

at that price it must be the BM gel battery -

but £80 fitting !!!!!!

they're having a laugh -

at your expense

Re: Re: Battery failed- need advice on a new one

Steptoe said:
at that price it must be the BM gel battery -

but £80 fitting !!!!!!

they're having a laugh -

at your expense

exacty Steptoe only charges 50!:D

still four years for a battery doesn´t seem too outrageous. Get the gel one-Hawker is the brand I think(?)

Hawker Odyssey is the one as Spanish Bob suggests..

Higher cranking amps (starts better when cold) no maintenance keeps its charge longer than the standard battery.

Lots of places sell them, I got mine from motobins.

I paid £81 for my replacement BMW Gel battery - if your last one lasted 4yrs, I'd think that a BMW replacement might be a reasonable investment...

Mike:)

Git a Hawker Odyssey PC680.

No spilage, no ABS faults - fit and forget.

You may need to extend/modify the + terminal and add a little packing [I used rubber sheet - NOT bed sheets] to get a tight fit but it's easy enough and well worth the effort.

Russ

Attachments

• pc680 aaa.jpg
    pc680 aaa.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 186
There is a new BMW battery for sale in the FOR SALE Forum.Gadget is the seller.£45 including p&p

:D

Back
Top Bottom